BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #61
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R (sold)
Name: Nick
As much as i hate to agree with assmo, I have to say the movie was a letdown. I wanted to love it, but it was simply no substance. Anyone analyzing a deeper meaning is just reaching. It was entertaining. The action was a little too frenetic but the sound was stellar. The blu ray on my home system i expect to sound exceptional. But Tom Hardy is a good actor and he was wasted. He spoke maybe 30 words, most of which were garbled. Joe looked cool, but again wasted. Car chases are cool, but a touch of plot and dialogue is necessary. Miller saying he wanted a 2 hour car chase doesnt make it a great film. There were cool cars and whatnot but it is the 4th best mad max movie in a series of 4.

Last edited by nbean16; 05-18-2015 at 08:47 PM..
nbean16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 PM   #62
Karbon
Hyper hoñorary

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: superchicken, BRP SM, ninja 650R
Name:
Mad max bikes.
http://www.motorbikeonly.com/mad-max...d-motorcycles/

Also, this move has such an insane amount of subtext you would be totally blind not so see it.

Last edited by Karbon; 05-19-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Karbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #63
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Saw it last night, film was fantastic. A lot of people left afterwards mentioning they were exhausted. 2 straight hours of almost completely non-stop internal combustion overload, it was an excellent addition to the franchise’s great history. I really like Tom Hardy’s take on Max, much more Mad than Gibson. The aforementioned lack of character development is not missing from the film at all, simply more subtle than some are comfortable with I suppose. The development of the Nux character in particular is rich and very satisfying.

I love these films because they show man for what he truly is, a savage and utterly insane tribal primitive trying to ape as if he were something better and there is more to hope for than that. The brutal honestly about the human race that is present in Miller's films is truly refreshing.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #64
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
Saw it last night, film was fantastic. A lot of people left afterwards mentioning they were exhausted. 2 straight hours of almost completely non-stop internal combustion overload, it was an excellent addition to the franchise’s great history. I really like Tom Hardy’s take on Max, much more Mad than Gibson. The aforementioned lack of character development is not missing from the film at all, simply more subtle than some are comfortable with I suppose. The development of the Nux character in particular is rich and very satisfying.

I love these films because they show man for what he truly is, a savage and utterly insane tribal primitive trying to ape as if he were something better and there is more to hope for than that. The brutal honestly about the human race that is present in Miller's films is truly refreshing.
There is no character development. Hardy is a great actor, but the film couldve leterally stared you and been exactly the same. I was fairly entertained but lets not pretend the movie is something its not.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #65
Karbon
Hyper hoñorary

Contributor ++++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post
There is no character development. Hardy is a great actor, but the film couldve leterally stared you and been exactly the same. I was fairly entertained but lets not pretend the movie is something its not.
no character development? care to elaborate?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #66
Corb
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 18' Beta 350RR-S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
no character development? care to elaborate?
I kinda have to agree.
I guess on Max we have the previous movies to give him a story.
But why was Dart Wader not wearing a suit. How did he get that way? Whats the disease thats killing all the half breeds?
What was the story of any of the 5 models?
It was a good action scene stretched in to movie length, but to me that does not make a good movie.
90% of the movie was a chase. They could have cut that down to 50% of the movie and give me more of a story to understand that universe and the characters better

Again, I didn't left the theater disappointed, it was entertaining. But it could have been more. The comparison with Cirque du Soleil seems very fitting. Also like it was an extended trailer for an upcoming videogame.

Last edited by Corb; 05-19-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Corb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #67
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corb View Post
I kinda have to agree.
But why was Dart Wader not wearing a suit. How did he get that way? Whats the disease thats killing all the half breeds?
It was a good action scene stretched in to movie length, but to me that does not make a good movie.
90% of the movie was a chase. They could have cut that down to 50% of the movie and give me more of a story to understand that universe and the characters better

Again, I didn't left the theater disappointed, it was entertaining. But it could have been more. The comparison with Cirque du Soleil seems very fitting. Also like it was an extended trailer for an upcoming videogame.
This. Every single character was exactly the same from the first scene to the final scene. No backstory was given for anyone. Its fine if you liked it for what it was, had good action and sound, but there wasnt even anything resembling character developement. The only change for max was he wore a mask, then he took it off. If this movie had good character development then so has every movie ever made.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #68
revnort
Tasty Pants

AMA#: 1108597
Contributor +++++++++

Motorcycles: F800GS, Dr. Zoidberg
Name: Dan
SPOILERS

Quote:
I
Dart Wader? You mean Immortan Joe? I gathered from the many clues of the movie that the earth is fucked and most places are pretty toxic. I pieced it together from the skin disorders on Joe and the war boys, mutant children, and constant references to the earth going "sour", mad max talking about how there is nothing but salt beyond, and the green place drying up.

Quote:
They are sexual slaves to Joe, who is trying to conceive a son that isn't a giant mutant dunce, or a crippled disabled but intelligent dwarf. Presumably so his heir can keep control of the citadel when he dies. The ladies decide they do not want to be sexual slaves any more. Furiosa helps them escape. As for fleshing them out individually they may have well just been one character.

To me, none of the characters were flat, they were all fleshed out just enough to serve the very minimal storyline. The main characters had plenty of personality. Max, Furiosa, Nux. You have the rest of the movies to let you know what is going on with the world. The characters in the world don't seem to know why everything is fucked, it just is that way now. I don't see the need to explain it much further than their reality.

The world is about surviving, and these warlords who control resources. You guys want detailed motivation beyond wanting to live, and not being a sexual slave, or a slave of any kind for that matter?

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?

Last edited by revnort; 05-19-2015 at 09:43 AM..
revnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #69
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor +++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post
This. Every single character was exactly the same from the first scene to the final scene. No backstory was given for anyone. Its fine if you liked it for what it was, had good action and sound, but there wasnt even anything resembling character developement. The only change for max was he wore a mask, then he took it off. If this movie had good character development then so has every movie ever made.
Look I am not arguing the movie was rich with detail, but did we watch the same movie? No change for Max?

There certainly was enough backstory to understand everyone's motivation. Who is a mystery to you?

Who do you see? Who do do you watch? Which is your flock? Do you watch at a distance from the side you have chosen? Whose answers serve you best? Who'll save you from confusion? Who will leave you an exit and a comfortable cover? Who will take you oh so near the edge, but never drop you over?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #70
westie
Its Dethklok!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Race, Dirt, Street, Mini???
Name: Scottie
Well you guys made up my mind. Wait for pay per view it is.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #71
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revnort View Post
Look I am not arguing the movie was rich with detail, but did we watch the same movie? No change for Max?

There certainly was enough backstory to understand everyone's motivation. Who is a mystery to you?
No one is a mystery. Every character is flat and one dimensional. Max Is good. Joe is bad. Thats the extent of any character.Ok max didnt want to help for 2 minutes, then decided to help. which is exactly what you knew would happen. There was no change. Everything else you are just filling in yourself. Its a car chase, thats it. If you liked it, good, but its nothing more.

Last edited by nbean16; 05-19-2015 at 09:47 AM..
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #72
revnort
Tasty Pants

Contributor +++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
Well you guys made up my mind. Wait for pay per view it is.
Personally I think that is a mistake. This is a theater movie, big screen. It willl lose a lot watching at home. .

Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #73
Karbon
Hyper hoñorary

Contributor ++++

Name:
Quote:
I kinda have to agree.

Yeah, but the characters are kind of ambiguous to an extent for a reason. It's done on purpose so you can connect the dots and in someway determine a character's motivation yourself, and within the context of the movie it works, because you think about that shit after the movie is done. It's a setup for an even greater back story and source material for fan fiction. I wouldn't be surprised if sequels/prequel have already been written.

Nuclear war and disease is why everyone is all fucked up and dying. There's literally a scene of atomic bomb test footage.

the 5 wives were part of the breeder caste of people in the patriarchal society that Imortan Joe built. The scene with the lactating women hooked up to breast pumps and the minimalist dialogue drives that point pretty hard.

Yes it was a near 2 hr chase scene, but it was tits awesome, but again how much character development do you really want for a movie billed as a 2hr chase scene?

Last edited by Karbon; 05-19-2015 at 09:51 AM..
Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #74
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

If there was a little more to joe's operation, who he was and how he came into power, who his minions were, maxs life in the outback, more on furiosa, and 30 minutes less chase it wouldve been a much better film. Thats all im saying.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #75
Corb
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 18' Beta 350RR-S
Name:
Yea, as I said I saw the movie. I got all of that.
I guess I just want more depth of character development for me to care if one dies besides the fact that its a pregnant hot chick. [I'm hoping by now everyone saw the movie, if not sorry for the spoiler]
Immortal Joe could have had an interesting backstory. Maybe he was Max's dad or something original like that. Maybe they could have shown us the green valley of misandrists Furiosa came from. Or how she got to become an imperator
Or maybe show us the tits on that cute short asian a little bit.
Something more than a chase that goes one way than turns around and goes the other way.