BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #16
Indio
Indio

Contributor

Motorcycles: Italian and German.
Name: .
I ordered one and am waiting to test ride Bolt as well. If I like Bolt enough to lease it I can ask for a refund OR just stay on the list cuz by the time Bolt lease is about to be over it will be Model 3 delivery time.
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #17
Indio
Indio

Contributor

Motorcycles: Italian and German.
Name: .
http://www.wired.com/2016/01/gm-elec...lt-mary-barra/
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbean16 View Post
Range is still a problem.
Depending on how one drives/ weather, etc...fully gonna be a problem. The larger problem will be the pull on the electricity grid mid day. EV's are going to drive CA energy rates higher. Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
...for the 1% of drivers who regularly drive more than 200 miles a day.
Like an airplane spec sheet, that's an ideal/ best case situation. I'd expect about 150-180 miles/ day. That's not bad, but a few around town trips in the middle of the day and the asshole puckering starts to happen.

I think there's gonna be a good business in towing huge Military grade generators around with superchargers on them and charging people's Teslas in the middle of the day!
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio View Post
I ordered one and am waiting to test ride Bolt as well. If I like Bolt enough to lease it I can ask for a refund OR just stay on the list cuz by the time Bolt lease is about to be over it will be Model 3 delivery time.
True. Tesla should have taken those deposits in Nevada and not California.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #20
louemc
Veteran

Motorcycles: 05 Kawi ZX10R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Depending on how one drives/ weather, etc...fully gonna be a problem. The larger problem will be the pull on the electricity grid mid day. EV's are going to drive CA energy rates higher. Yay.
California Energy Rates, are for ding dong losers that can't manage their lives, to Get Off The Grid
Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
Tesla stock just jumped 10$ in the last hour
Old 04-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
The interest blew away my wildest expectations.
Me too. The part that was amazing to me? Sight unseen and most likely not getting their car for another two years, these people were dropping deposits. It was a pretty well kept secret as far as the looks. It could've easily wound up looking like a Bolt or a Leaf, but I think it actually looks pretty nice.

Anyone who's seen my musings here pretty much knows I'm not exactly a champion for Tesla. But I do think....on paper....this car is a home run. And Tesla has officially become the Apple of the car business. Nobody has been or will be camping out to get in line to buy the Bolt. That said, they still aren't out of the woods yet. Their quality control has to get an awful lot better. I see tons of Model S that have shitty paint, body panels just fit "good enough", and I hear the dealer techs spend their days doing nothing but chasing NVH or catastrophic failures like full drive motor replacement. Once the trendiness of Tesla dies off because there's other players in the 200mi range EV pool, if they still have that many quality issues, they'll quickly lose market share.

The Bolt is beating Tesla to market by at least a year. Buuuut. The Bolt is well...not exactly the belle of the ball. It looks like a cheap commuter car. Which it is. But the Model 3 looks more like a proper mass market car. And with 10-15 grand in options, is a legit sports sedan too. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the EV market in the next few years. That's for sure.
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #23
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
True. Tesla should have taken those deposits in Nevada and not California.
Lolololol. You want to explain why that's funny or should I?

You'll find this interesting since it's the same topic. Our first NSX customer apparently just backed out. Unfortunately already after we locked in his order. So now when we go to the next guy on the deposit list, he doesn't get it made to order, he'll have to take this one. One that got speced as a stripper with hardly any options. Thanks California!
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Let's see, I spent $2,000 on my 2002 VW passat 1.8L turbo. Dropped $2,000 into it replacing timing belt and water pump. I'm $4000 TOTAL in on the car and it is good to go for 5 years / 100,000 miles.

Until I can pick up an EV for $5000 I am not saving money getting an EV. The true change from ICE will come when there are old EV out for cheap that cost less to run 100,000 miles.
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #25
Tharkūn
Freeway Moderator

Mod Alumni

Motorcycles: Dirt
Name:
I know this might be a surprise but some people might want a new car and not a 15 year old disaster
Tharkūn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Nissan Leaf sells for 15K after incentives new in Colorado. If you go there to find a slightly used one you can probably have it for around 7-8k after depreciation. Seems this is the best bang for the buck...have to get it shipped though...range problems.

Tesla is doing good things...anyone talking about where they are getting the precious metals for the batteries in Africa? The heavy mining and pollution it creates vs. switching folks to easily made diesel?
Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #27
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharkūn View Post
I know this might be a surprise but some people might want a new car and not a 15 year old disaster
I'll have you know it's a clean car

Fair point though. Personally I would rather have my '02 disaster, '15 FZ-09, and '16 YZF-R1 rather than a Model 3.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #28
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
Tesla is doing good things...anyone talking about where they are getting the precious metals for the batteries in Africa? The heavy mining and pollution it creates vs. switching folks to easily made diesel?
Africa and North America is where they get their metal. There's a big mine close to where the giga factory is being built. Madagascar has recently found huge deposits as well. No regulations and it's a dirty strip mining process.

I divested myself from Tesla and their supply chain.

If a republican wins and defunds fed tax credits for EV, there goes Tesla's operating income. If they can manage to keep a going concern for long enough to bring costs down and expand production they will be okay.

If a democrat wins and pushes for responsible mining practices, there goes Tesla's future profit margin until they can bring costs down with the giga factory.

Panasonic is helping to fund the factory and I think they are hoping for an opportunity to pick up the PP&E for pennies on the dollar from Tesla should one of the things above result in a substantial doubt regarding their going concern and they shutter or consolidate.

Now, if Musk were to IPO SpaceX...
Old 04-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R (sold)
Name: Nick
Quote:
Ok. Well i drive to la often. You asked why would anyone not buy one. Thats why. And there are plenty of long range commuters. 215 is max range likely babying it as well.
nbean16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #30
Lorry
Veteran

Motorcycles: F4i
Name:
Quote:
The range is ok for families where this is a second car (commute, shopping trips etc.). I wouldn't want one as an only vehicle though.
Lorry is offline   Reply With Quote