BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #16
Beanzy
Rookie

Motorcycles: Looking
Name:
Just saw this thread.

Reminds of the time some years back I rode my old bike up 24 towards the Caldecott Tunnel and all the car drivers reacted as if I was Moses parting the Red Sea. At the time I had a safety vest that lit up via AA batteries. Was pretty neat to watch as bumper-to-bumper traffic pulled over in the 1 & 2 lanes to let me pass.

At the time I wondered if the vest was legal. Now because of this thread I know for sure that I was. Oh, and the LEDs were blinking. Lol.

Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #17
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Really?

Because I'd argue that a bicyclist riding with only a helmet light, and no light affixed to the front of the bicycle, is in violation of the vehicle code and can be stopped / cited for that. For one thing, the light is not always pointed forward if on a helmet, like it is on the handlebars.
It looks like 21201 VC was amended recently (2015) to include verbiage regarding lights attached to the operator:

Quote:
(e) A lamp or lamp combination, emitting a white light, attached to the operator and visible from a distance of 300 feet in front and from the sides of the bicycle, may be used in lieu of the lamp required by paragraph (1) of subdivision (d).
I still say that flashing lights on clothing is unlawful.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 03-12-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
I mean if they don't see the red tail light on the back of your motorcycle, are they going to see the red tail light attached to your backpack?
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It looks like 21201 VC was amended recently (2015) to include verbiage regarding lights attached to the operator:

I still say that flashing lights on clothing is unlawful.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that amendment. So, apparently, a bicycle could wear a light on his head and still comply with the section, even though it's not always forward facing when he turns his head.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I mean if they don't see the red tail light on the back of your motorcycle, are they going to see the red tail light attached to your backpack?
How about if the rider has gone to great pains to find the smallest tail light available, and then tucked it way up under the seat, and modified the lens to restrict light even more...
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
How about if the rider has gone to great pains to find the smallest tail light available, and then tucked it way up under the seat, and modified the lens to restrict light even more...
That rider would never attach a light to their backpack, too dorky.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #22
Beanzy
Rookie

Motorcycles: Looking
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
I wear coke-bottle eyeglasses. If I can see a blinking red light in front of me at night, anybody can see it too. What I don't like seeing at night is a cyclist without lights. In my mind that rider is a scofflaw, a meth head looking to break into somebody's car, or somebody with poor planning skills, if not all three.
Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #23
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
I do not have lights on my ebike. I am not a criminal. I take short jaunts locally at night. I have reflectors, but I think I am supposed to have a light. It wasn't required when I bought the bike originally.

And I agree with Nick. I also wondered if this could fall under other statutes, such as impersonating a police officer with certain lighting.

Also, is there any provision in law regarding passive light sources on a mc, such as reflectors that are unpowered but can mimic almost any light source? What if I can effect total luminescence of my entire bike engine area, and underside completely passively?

Last edited by ctwo; 03-12-2019 at 05:05 PM..
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #24
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post

Also, is there any provision in law regarding passive light sources on a mc, such as reflectors that are unpowered but can mimic almost any light source? What if I can effect total luminescence of my entire bike engine area, and underside completely passively?
Reflectorize it up! Just no red to the front.

§ 25500. (a) Area reflectorizing material may be displayed on any vehicle, provided: the color red is not displayed on the front; designs do not tend to distort the length or width of the vehicle; and designs do not resemble official traffic control devices, except that alternate striping resembling a barricade pattern may be used.
No vehicle shall be equipped with area reflectorizing material contrary to these provisions.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to license plate stickers or tabs affixed to license plates as authorized by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #25
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Thanks Nick
Old 03-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #26
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Motorcycles sold to be used on public roadways have the legally required lighting on them when first sold. Enhance, modify within reason and according to regulation, it's not really hard to do that.

The flashing lights, the "redish" halo lights, lighted jackets, heated crotch cups, ah, strike that, aircraft landing lights...

individuality is never really a replacement for safety and contrary to some opinions, the regulations aren't there just to screw with you.

and no, I didn't mean to say or imply anyone said.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 03-18-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #27
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Can I have an LCD TV mounted behind my back for my passengers, like I see in SUV's?

Can I play movies without a passenger?

I am totally not going to do that.