BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2001 H.D. Sportster(sold), 2008 650 vstrom (R.I.P.) 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Name: Mike
Control your pets people !!!

Right about now I don't care if you dont like hearing the words "tied up" or "on a leash" or " fenced in". If it will prevent your dogs from running up onto the road and causing a wreck do it.
Yes I went down hard this afternoon because 2 dogs ran out in front of me. I was able to avoid the first one but couldn't avoid the 2nd one and I hit the dog right square in the rib cage not sure if it survived or not. The owners were at least good enough to own up to their error and they did call the ambulance. Im at the hospital right now getting looked at 99% sure im ok. Be sore a.f tomorrow. Rant over I'll move on to analysis later.

Last edited by H.D.30-06; 01-01-2019 at 05:41 PM..
H.D.30-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
I hope there are no serious injuries, and that they make it right.

If they own their home, their homeowners insurance will most likely cover your damages. If not, it may be more challenging to collect.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2001 H.D. Sportster(sold), 2008 650 vstrom (R.I.P.) 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Ok so im home jacked up on painkillers. Docs found nothing other than deep bruises. Nothing broken, dislocated, spine, neck or concussion.

Onto analysis. Hindsight is 20/20. Probably should have slowed much more than I did. I was going about 60 when I saw the dogs then slowed to i think about 30-40. I was going to speed back up. My intention was to throw the dogs off and confuse them. I've used this tactic in the past and have always been successful. I got past the first dog but not the 2nd. I think if I had slowed a lot more I could have gone around them or they would have gotten off the road. I don't think this is the first time these dogs have chased vehicles.

That said my last 3 get off's have resulted in at least some hospital time. My emotions are still running high right now but I'm thinking it's time to hang it up. I didn't even give a shit about my bike this time and I still don't. I saw the inside of ambulance this time.

Last edited by H.D.30-06; 01-01-2019 at 10:05 PM..
H.D.30-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D.30-06 View Post
Ok so im home jacked up on painkillers. Docs found nothing other than deep bruises. Nothing broken, dislocated, spine, neck or concussion.

Onto analysis. Hindsight is 20/20. Probably should have slowed much more than I did. I was going about 60 when I saw the dogs then slowed to i think about 30-40. I was going to speed back up. My intention was to throw the dogs off and confuse them. I've used this tactic in the past and have always been successful. I got past the first dog but not the 2nd. I think if I had slowed a lot more I could have gone around them or they would have gotten off the road. I don't think this is the first time these dogs have chased vehicles.

That said my last 3 get off's have resulted in at least some hospital time. My emotions are still running high right now but I'm thinking it's time to hang it up. I didn't even give a shit about my bike this time and I still don't. I saw the inside of ambulance this time.
Three get offs with hospital visits! heal up soon, but that's too many! I've always said there's three kinds of motorcyclists. Going down, gone down and going down again. My youth had me making plenty of mistakes on bikes and had a couple minor oops in the last 500K. Falling still scare the hell out of me and I bench race better every year, but I keep coming back for the freedom
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
DJNick
Oldschool

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 SD 1290R, 2017 Tuono Factory, 2019 S3 RS
Name: Who?
Unhappy

Mike I'm so sorry to hear you were in another accident. Take care of yourself, I'll miss seeing you over at Peet's if you stop riding.

XBL/PSN: AgonyOfDeFeet
DJNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 AM   #6
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Seeing you’ve been on BARF since ‘06 you’ve likely ridden a lot more miles than many here and with those miles come the associated risk. Something you know better than I.

But don’t let current emotion override reason. Don’t let hindsight eat you up. It can happen to any of us on any day. I truly hope you heal up soon, insurance makes you whole on the bike and that you get back on that horse when you’re ready.
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D.30-06 View Post

If you have three getoffs with hospital visits, you need to slow down, and maybe learn better braking technique. I have had 30-40 crashes in fifty years with zero hospital visits. None, on the street, in a couple decades.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
weasel
Eradicator

AMA #: 2815972
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: 16' FZ-09
Name: jim
Ug, I live in a secluded neighborhood and there are usually somewhere between 2-6 dogs loose at any given time. Mostly slow ankle biters but three's also a young, stupid, greyhound mix that's out way too much.

That's bad but it's also a 25 MPH zone and I have no trouble spotting & avoiding them. WTH were you riding at 60 in a residential area?
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Ouch, big upside that nuthin busted, just bruising. Another small upside is that the dog owners insurance should be on the hook for the bills.

Heal up and revisit riding again thoughts at a later date.

Incident location type; country road, residential, commercial area...?

Would a wheelie for safety tactic have helped? Jk.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
WTH were you riding at 60 in a residential area?
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
weasel
Eradicator

AMA #: 2815972
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: 16' FZ-09
Name: jim
weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #12
Biga
Near Miss Racing #96

Motorcycles: 250 Ninja "A" R3 600 GSXR TS 185 150 Scooter 97cc D. Bug
Name: Rod
Quote:
WTH were you riding at 60 in a residential area?
I'm glad you are OK but really, poor dogie...
Old 01-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Ug, I live in a secluded neighborhood and there are usually somewhere between 2-6 dogs loose at any given time. Mostly slow ankle biters but three's also a young, stupid, greyhound mix that's out way too much.

That's bad but it's also a 25 MPH zone and I have no trouble spotting & avoiding them. WTH were you riding at 60 in a residential area?
there are plenty of rural 55 zones with the occasional house on them
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Quote:

This wasn't a residential area. This was out in the Sacramento River Delta. Out on Ryer island road to be exact. That area is farmland. This particular house just hsppened to be fairly close to the road and it was the only house around for a few miles.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
I'm glad you are OK but really, poor dogie...
Doggie was still with us when i was rolling away in the ambulance.