Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 02-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #31
jacob11379
Banned

Motorcycles: Race 2017 ZX10RR, Track 13 ZX10R
Name: jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewd_Ferrigno View Post
Iíve taken CSS a few times (repeat level 4) and I didnít get as much out of it as other people, when it came to racing. I think theyíre great for track day stuff, but there are skills they donít address, like passing strategies.

I found the best gain, for my riding, came from combining CSS, with lessons learned at American Supercamp (although, I saw some guy named Danny Walker threaten a comedian on Twitter. I tried to confirm this with ASC, but they didnít respond) and advice I got from Dave Aldana, at a Team Hammer track day.

My point is that your best generally comes from a variety of methods.

ASC taught me how to set up passes and better methods in slow speed corners. Sliding is also taught, but thereís more to it than that.

Dave Aldana taught me to think. I was racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park, my yellow shirt race. I asked him about the first corner strategy. He asked me how fast I was entering the corner, during a normal lap. I said around 70~ (I think.). Next, he asked me if I hit that speed from the starting line to the first corner. I said no.

He then said ďthen why are you braking for the first corner with all the other guys?Ē

Next race, passed about 15 people in the first turn.
Since this thread started i have signed up with ASC for here in a couple weeks. Also am signed with CSS for CODE RACE which is supposed to go over passing and race-related teaching. I know there is mock racing (8 laps) at the end of each day, practice starts, and passing drills.

Thanks for feedback
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #32
Lewd_Ferrigno
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 93 CBR900RR 2014 MV F3 800
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
If you aren't aware, CodeRACE covers racecraft skills not covered at the cornering schools, including passing. We also used to do a passing drill in the cornering schools but it's been phased out of level 3, replaced with other drills more focused on cornering. As a level 4 student, you may absolutely request a passing exercise and your coach will work on it with you.
I am familiar with the program. For my tastes, and this is opinion, it lacked a bit of strategy. Iíve done passing drills with Cobie, as well.
Lewd_Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #33
Gravisman
Rookie

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4
Name: Gravisman
I’m definitely interested in hearing your feedback on CODE race. I did my levels 3 & 4 of CSS last weekend and I’d love to attend the racing school someday when I’m much faster than I am today...
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #34
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Any idea which instructors teach the race school?
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #35
jacob11379
Banned

^^^^^Ill find out in a couple days

Is anybody from BARF heading out for any of the days 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th.....????....
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #36
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Sounds like I’ll just miss you; I’ll be at Laguna Tuesday and Wednesday.

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #37
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
^^^^^Ill find out in a couple days

Is anybody from BARF heading out for any of the days 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th.....????....
AFM will be at Buttonwillow that weekend.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #38
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
AFM will be at Buttonwillow that weekend.
Buttonwillow says 73*, 76*, and 80* for those days. About what ill be seeing as well.....

Great start for the season!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #39
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Agree! Soak up the lessons!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #40
jacob11379
Banned

Finished level 1 a few days ago. Cant say I was overly thrilled about it but I did get some input out of it. However level 2 built well on level one and I certainly got enough for both days out of level two.

Today was our first day of code race. Pretty intense TBH. And A LOT more ride time.

Today I got first lap timer. First session I ran 1:44 as a best time. Second session 1:36. 3rd session a 1:28....

My times for 3rd session where 1:31, 1:30, 1:28, 1:31(or pretty close)

Felt great, qualified 8th overall. With qualifying places being

1:22
1:27
1:27
1:28
1:29
1:30.020
1:30.098
1:30.183(me)
1:30.192
1:31
1:32
1:33
And a few more but you can see the playing field is quite competitive. For each other anyway

For perspective, lap record here is 1:16.4 I believe.

Race starts, holy shit is this first lap intense. Practically everybody is running shit lap times on first lap. 2nd lap I pull a 1:29, and somewhere along here everything goes to shit. 1:31 and the rest of my laps are 1:33s.....I consistantly tried making up time and going to fast through sections and then missing my turn ins, apexing late and early. I absolutely dump trucked under pressure....

Still finished 8th over all and 3rd for my group.

Tomorrow, back at it and need to dial in my consistancy and NOT getting caught up in the race....

This was a GREAT learning experience. Really put what you guys that race go through even though it's on a much smaller scale it's still pretty intense.

18 racers/students and we made it through the day with no wrecks....although a few went into the dirt and I even made a pass through dirt. Think I got it on video...
Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #41
Gravisman
Rookie

Sounds like a blast. Can you speak to the riding level you think is necessary for the race school? I’m interested in going and in racing in general, and though I’ve done levels 1-4 at CSS I can still count my track day experience on two hands. I’m a fast C group rider probably on the cusp of graduating to B. My feeling is I should be running A group before I try to race, but maybe that’s not necessary for the school?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #42
jacob11379
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravisman View Post
Sounds like a blast. Can you speak to the riding level you think is necessary for the race school? Iím interested in going and in racing in general, and though Iíve done levels 1-4 at CSS I can still count my track day experience on two hands. Iím a fast C group rider probably on the cusp of graduating to B. My feeling is I should be running A group before I try to race, but maybe thatís not necessary for the school?
It's not. There is guys that have only done level one here. The guy that is sharing my coach is running 1:50 lap times.

If I had to guess though, i would say 6 guys are for sure A group riders. The next 6 are probably upper B to lower A. The last 6 would be lower B and certainly a couple C groups.

Actually, the one running low 1:20s is a 14-15 year old kid. All us adults are pretty comparable.

Your coach rides with you once or twice a session. Then you debrief after each session.

Now keep in mind I was here for two days and had all my reference points coming into the race. I even walked the track after everybody left yesterday.

I would suggest taking school at a track you know well for best results. Some of the guys I'm racing against have been here many times. They went out first session burning low 1:30s and high 1:20s.....

I would have loved to take this course at T-hill or somewhere up north. Everybody here is from so cal
Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #43
Gravisman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
It's not. There is guys that have only done level one here. The guy that is sharing my coach is running 1:50 lap times.

If I had to guess though, i would say 6 guys are for sure A group riders. The next 6 are probably upper B to lower A. The last 6 would be lower B and certainly a couple C groups.

Actually, the one running low 1:20s is a 14-15 year old kid. All us adults are pretty comparable.

Your coach rides with you once or twice a session. Then you debrief after each session.

Now keep in mind I was here for two days and had all my reference points coming into the race. I even walked the track after everybody left yesterday.

I would suggest taking school at a track you know well for best results. Some of the guys I'm racing against have been here many times. They went out first session burning low 1:30s and high 1:20s.....

I would have loved to take this course at T-hill or somewhere up north. Everybody here is from so cal
Yeah, I think they only do the race school at willow springs, and fuck if Iíd ever go there for a regular track day. Looooong ass drive. Good to know, though
Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #44
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Right on Jacob.

Sounds like you got a lot out of it.

Nothing like some good coach and a little competition to get the juices flowing. Now that you took your first hit of moto heroin I get you will be jonesing for more.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #45
jacob11379
Banned

day 2 of code race.

3 free sessions to work on various topics with coaches.

followed by a passing drill with coach. Gary, from the UK was my coach. I believe he is head coach over there and does most of the training. he is over here briefly for some updated formats(if i understood him correctly).

After a couple of wrecks our radar session was canceled due to time restraints so we went back out for another free session.

followed by qualifying

and then race....

We started off similar to first race, with about 6 guys taking the lead group. (looking at times most of them were running about 2 seconds faster than me per lap). I tried to stay with them but just a little to fast so I got into my pace and targeted the last guy in that group. He was 7th(I didnt know that at the time).

Im chasing this guy down for 3 laps, on the 4th lap I get a good pass on him and at the same time another rider gets the pass on both of us.
So as soon as I take over 7th I lose it.

after he shut down two attempted passes on two different laps I set him up and pass on the white flag, holding that position for the last lap and setting my lap record.

Fkn EPIC.....

My lap times where(we didnt get our first 2 lap times, not sure why)

took 7th over all and 2nd for my bracket...

I understand, this was just some cheesy school and not real competition. But it was an absolute fkn blast. that battle for 7th place was so intense. And I just kept telling myself hit my markers dont fall into the race. My consistency, lap times, were on point. and even my fatigue was greatly reduced by just staying on plan.

im just getting in the door, long ass drive, but it was done with a smile on my face. very fulfilling experience.....