Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Holy Shit! Second Boeing 737 Max 8 crashes in a year!

Jetliner crashes in Ethiopia, killing 157 from 35 countries
Quote:
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) ó A jetliner carrying 157 people crashed shortly after takeoff from the Ethiopian capital Sunday, killing everyone aboard and carving a crater into the ground, authorities said. At least 35 nationalities were among the dead.

It was not clear what caused the Ethiopian Airlines plane to go down in clear weather. The accident was strikingly similar to last year's crash of a Lion Air jet that plunged into the Java Sea, killing 189 people. Both crashes involved the Boeing 737 Max 8, and both happened minutes after the jets became airborne.
Something must be seriously wrong with those jets or something in the maintenance procedures (At one point in my career I specialized in maintenance procedures for Air Force systems) that is inadequate for keeping that system functioning properly.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
The Ethiopian airline is a respected carrier with a safety record on par with the other major players. This is not some marginal backwoods fleet. This will most likely come down to the airplane. Not good for Boeing.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Where do do Lion Air and Ethiopian have their fleet maintained? Could be a design flaw, or more likely low budget maintenance:

"An automatic anti-stall system appears to have engaged on a Lion Air Boeing 737 MAX that crashed last month amid erroneous readings from a sensor that may have triggered it, according to a preliminary report from Indonesian investigators released Wednesday. Maintenance workers had failed to repair the sensor despite pilotsí reports from a flight the previous day that suggest the anti-stall system engaged incorrectly on that flight as well."

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
- Isaac Asimov
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
With a second crash the efforts to find a common fault will proceed with more urgency no doubt.

Poor maintenance can screw up anything no matter how good it is. Not being a pilot and not having slept in the Holiday Inn, it seems like there would be some procedure to deal with the faults as theorized at this point (at least in the first crash).

With the long service of the plane and the safety record of airlines in general, this isn't an *(&#^$#(^! moment. IMO
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
The Ethiopian airline is a respected carrier with a safety record on par with the other major players. This is not some marginal backwoods fleet. This will most likely come down to the airplane. Not good for Boeing.
What if the maintenance protocols for some important system are wrong?

I've seen faulty maintenance plans get through 40 person Technical Interchange Meetings that were supposed to catch errors. Maintenance procedures aren't written by the best and brightest in the companies, they aren't the sexy job for engineers that design engineering is. Often they are being written by people who aren't even engineers. Rarely are the design engineers consulted when the maintenance procedures being written.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
RS250 Chester
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV Mille, Aprilia RS250, Cagiva Mito 125
Name:
I haven't followed up on the Lion Air crash, but I'm under the impression the Lion crash had to do with the faulty data and the new Max 8 Safety protocols in which Boeing did not inform pilots of the new system. Not maintenance issues.

"A true friend stabs you in the front."

"If there's one thing that Republicans schooled in the ways of Wall Street have taught us, it's this: Don't spend money you don't have; spend money other people don't have." - Bill Mahrer

RS250 Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Jetliner crashes in Ethiopia, killing 157 from 35 countries

Something must be seriously wrong with those jets or something in the maintenance procedures (At one point in my career I specialized in maintenance procedures for Air Force systems) that is inadequate for keeping that system functioning properly.
Third world pilots and third world maintenance are the common denominators. Stay away from them.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
To compensate for the larger engines on the 737 Max, Boeing added a computerized system, called M.C.A.S., to prevent the plane's nose from getting too high and causing a stall. Faulty sensor data may have instead caused the system to keep pushing the nose down, possibly leading to the crash of Lion Air Flight 610.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/w...sh-pilots.html

Pilots of the new 737 Max should be trained/understand this new MCAS system and how to override this condition but maybe not.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
That didn't take long

That didn't take long:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/afric...ntl/index.html

There is probably more at work than just a concern for safety (speculation) but it could start a ripple. They have 97 737MAX planes in their fleets.

Q: If you were scheduled to take a flight on a 737MAX, would you reschedule to take a different aircraft? I'm not advocating that, just asking the question.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 03-10-2019 at 07:30 PM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
That didn't take long:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/10/afric...ntl/index.html

There is probably more at work than just a concern for safety (speculation) but it could start a ripple. They have 97 737MAX planes in their fleets.

Q: If you were scheduled to take a flight on a 737MAX, would you reschedule to take a different aircraft? I'm not advocating that, just asking the question.
At this rate, we might not have to make that decision.

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #11
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
In or near Ethiopia? Yes.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
- Isaac Asimov
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 AM   #12
Cali
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: E175
Name:
Hopefully Boeing figures this out quickly
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
bruceflinch
I love Da Whores

Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Present: Cage Past 305SS RD400 CB500 RD250 CB360 XS650 R1200R XT225 ST1300 Vstrom 650
Name: Bruce
for the victims.
Namaste!
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #14
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
China and Indonesia are grounding all 737 Max 8. Interesting that supposedly safety neglectful third world nations are stepping up and the US is doing nothing.

Last edited by afm199; 03-11-2019 at 08:35 AM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
In defense of the US, these countries (India/Indonesia/China) are filled to the gills with "paint by numbers" pilots. If a situation requires quick thinking and performance of uncommon procedure, these are not the kind of pilots you want to be onboard with.
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote