BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 03-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
hardy1506

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14
Name:
10 day trip to Cabo San Lucas on Connie, Do i really need ADV ?

Hey Guys,

Last year I asked for itenary help for my 7 day trip to Monument Valley.
That trip was amazing.

This year, i was thinking about yellow stone and bear-tooth highway But Cabo-San-Lucas seems more appealing out of a sudden, Cant stop thinking about it.

Expert are here,so i dint spend much time googling about it
Do u guys think, i can make it on my connie ?

I am not worried about roads like this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1ImxHOP0I

Itenaries are also appreciated

Thank you !!
Stay away from those cagers on phone, Ride Safe !!!

Last edited by hardy1506; 03-24-2019 at 09:47 AM..
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 2%

Motorcycles: Rat hawk, Doctor650 and SuperCub
Name: see above
Absolutely, I've driven (in a car) down there dozens of times and each year the roads got a little better, it's been awhile since my last time there though. I wouldn't ride at night though, black cows are invisible until the very last second.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
that’s a cool video!

just rode from San Francisco to Bay of LA in January and agree with matty, your Connie would be perfect to get you to Cabo and back in ten days ... if you stay on Hwy 1 south of the border you won’t see any unpaved roads unless you make an effort to find them.

like the crossing at Tecate as being super-easy low-stress no-crowds, and there’s an ATM three blocks away where I can get posos ... from there it’s Hwy 3 south to Hwy 1 ...

hear it gets hot there, Baja is usually a winter ride for me ... we like to try to go on a whale watching tour in Guerro Negro if the whales are there (sort of this time of year) ...

love Baja, my first trip was on a BMW K75s ... have fun!
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Yeah don't ride at night cows and broken roads. I say that but I have ridden at night in Baja and yeah cows and broken roads. If you do windup riding at night take it slow and have good lights. Look out for rocks arrange on the road or cones. Those are missing road sections.

Also be careful of shallow vados (watercrossings) they might have moss in them and they're SUPER slippery.

youtu.be/aTisQxp19R8
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Is there a particular reason why you want to go to CSL? CSL is a plastic, tourist trap for spring breakers, condo campers and is not what Baja is about. There are so many more interesting, beautiful and culturally fulfilling places to visit in Baja. The road from Loreto south to CSL is mind numbing. In 10 days you can explore some pretty awesome places like Bahia de Los Angeles, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, Todos Santos, etc. All are accessible on paved roads. Imagine spending an afternoon sitting in a café eating fish tacos, drinking beer and watching the world go by in a quaint little cobble stoned plaza. You won't find that in CSL.
Unless your an iron butt rider, it's a day and a half to the border. That's 3 days. You now have 7 days. Its 2 1/2 days of hard riding to CSL. That leaves you 2 days to be anywhere and do something. You can get to CSL and back in 10 days but you missed all the good stuff.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
hardy1506

Name:
Thanks everyone for great info

@dravnx : there is no reason to visit CSL except its the end of the line thingy :lol
I am not a big fan of crowded tourist places at all
I would definitely consider all that you mentioned here, there is no hard line of 10 days, +/- 3 days should be fine.

@HadesOmega : Thanks for the video, Good to know about the water-crossing

No plans to ride at night !!!
Old 03-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #7
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
What do you guys think the weather will be like in May/June? I know it gets hot but everything I see it looks like it's cooler than home (the the Sacramento Valley). Plans kinda changed from Alaska after a unexpected expensive dental mess. Now I have to do a shorter trip.

I guess my question, will the weather be comfortable in Baja May/June? I have a full set of mesh gear. Looks like most do this in the winter. But I already have the time off and can just up and go the second week of May.

OP, when are you planning your trip? And sorry for hijacking your thread.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
hardy1506

Name:
Lot of variables so I am really not sure when i m starting

I might either go next week 04/20 - 04/30
OR
Sometimes after May 15th
Old 04-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
I guess my question, will the weather be comfortable in Baja May/June? I have a full set of mesh gear. Looks like most do this in the winter. But I already have the time off and can just up and go the second week of May.
Late spring will still be comfortable, albeit it warm. If you are from San Francisco you might be uncomfortable. If you are used to the northbay or valley, just fine.

I've also spent time a number of years in the summer and early fall. While average temperatures don't seem that high, folks forget that on the Sea of Cortez side and further south, humidity can be through the roof summer through mid fall. 90 degrees can feel like 115 or even more with heat index.

Summer through early fall in Baja Sur is for fishing and less so riding.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 04-17-2019 at 02:44 PM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Motorcycles: V-Strom 650, XT250, XR50 (son's), KLX110 (other son's) (Past: R1200GS, ZR-7S, V-Star 650, Vulcan 500
Name: mnkythmpa
I did a 9-day trip to Cabo San Lucas and back and it was too quick. We rode every day, and I wish I could have taken a day off between riding days. 14 days would have been good, 16 days would have been perfect. Here was my itinerary:
Day 1: Oakland to LA
Day 2: LA to Ensenada
Day 3: Ensenada to Guerrero Negro
Day 4: Guerro Negro to La Paz
Day 5: La Paz to La Paz (via lunch in Cabo San Lucas)
Day 6: La Paz to Loreto
Day 7: Loreto to Bahia de los Angeles
Day 8: Bahia to Ensenada
Day 9: Ensenada to Oakland
Old 04-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
Hey Guys,

Last year I asked for itenary help for my 7 day trip to Monument Valley.
That trip was amazing.

This year, i was thinking about yellow stone and bear-tooth highway But Cabo-San-Lucas seems more appealing out of a sudden, Cant stop thinking about it.

Expert are here,so i dint spend much time googling about it
Do u guys think, i can make it on my connie ?

I am not worried about roads like this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT1ImxHOP0I

Itenaries are also appreciated

Thank you !!
Stay away from those cagers on phone, Ride Safe !!!
As others have said already, lots of places you can get to on your Connie. Dont ride at night, and watch your speed. Many of the main roads including Highway 1 WILL (not may) have potholes that can take a street bike out in central Baja.

You could just bomb it to Cabo over two days from the border, spend a few days in Cabo and return..... or forget Cabo and slow down to see the best part of Baja that you will have sped through.

San Ignacio, Santa Rosalita, MULEGE, camping on Bahia de Conception, Loretto, San Javier, Comundu, La Purisima, San Isidro, San Juanico.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
hardy1506

Name:
@monkeythumpa : Thanks for your itinerary

@OaklandF4i : Thanks for all advices, i am now more inclined towards killing my time mostly in BAJA

Lets see how it goes !!!

Last edited by hardy1506; 04-25-2019 at 08:16 PM..