BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
SomeDudeOnline

Motorcycles: FZ6 & 650 Ninja
Name:
Shifted Shifter?

Hey Guys,

I low-sided my 2009 FZ6 at Thunderhill a few weeks ago and when I got my bike back, it looked pristine except for the frame-slider and some grass. I went to the grid only to discover that the shifter was higher than normal so I went back to the pits to figure out what was going on rather than risk breaking something or mis-shifting cause it's not where I'm used to.

Well... I found that nothing appears to be bent or broken. Very confusing because I have no idea how anything could've shifted without something bending or the teeth on the linkage connector doodad getting stripped. I figured that not knowing how this happened isn't the worst thing ever and I'd just adjust it to it's normal height. Well I adjusted the linkage by a tooth or two and the height was back where I wanted but it wouldn't shift into first. Upon closer inspection, I found that the nut on the rear-tire side linkage rod was hitting the frame as it went forward to downshift. So I set the tooth back to its original position and adjusted the nuts on the linkage rod so that it was longer (shorter? longer?) so that the shifter would lower but of course this had the same issue.

I had a buddy who's significantly more mechanically inclined look at it with me and he was just as confused as I was because nothing looked bent to him and those seem like the only two points to adjust. I'm hoping we're both missing something obvious. I realize it's tough to diagnose without being in person to examine it but if anyone has experienced anything similar, I would greatly appreciate your input.

- SomeDudeOnline
SomeDudeOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
maybe the knuckle bent? photos might help.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
I'll try to get some pictures up later when I get home but the knuckle on the shifter itself definitely wasn't bent. Maybe the one on the tranny side but I did take it off and didn't notice anything unusual.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
if the linkage is now hitting the frame, something is bent. thats all there is to it. if your bike passes the shift rod through the frame, u don't need much bend to start hitting things. id guess the rearset itself is probably pushed in some.

theres mostly only 1 correct position for the shift knuckle - the position that produces the most 90deg angles in the linkage. so its not a good idea to move it around.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
if the linkage is now hitting the frame, something is bent. thats all there is to it. if your bike passes the shift rod through the frame, u don't need much bend to start hitting things. id guess the rearset itself is probably pushed in some.

theres mostly only 1 correct position for the shift knuckle - the position that produces the most 90deg angles in the linkage. so its not a good idea to move it around.
That's good to know. Once I figure out what the heck is going on, I'll return the knuckle to it's original position. Hopefully a fifth look tonight will reveal what's bent.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
If you adjusted the knuckle, something is bent. Quite probably the shift shaft that goes through the motor.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Back to "normal"?

Hey Guys,

I've uploaded some pictures (I have more but it only lets me attach 5), I still don't see anything bent so maybe it is the shift shaft (any way to verify without taking the tranny apart?). However, I fiddled with the nuts on the linkage rod after putting the knuckle back in its proper place and found a sweet spot that lets me have the shifter at a comfortable enough position and still go into 1st gear.

The nut just barely doesn't touch the frame (you can see in the picture) but it's about as close as it can get so I'm still thinking something is off. Also, I realized that the rear set getting pulled out probably isn't the problem because there's a gap in the frame to allow the nut to clear but the nut is hitting (almost hitting now) the bottom edge of that gap.

Now that it's in a comfortable position, I'm less likely to fix it properly (yeah I'm that guy) but I would still like to know exactly why it is this way so that I can feel guilty about not fixing it properly for a while.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	519329   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_0688_LI.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	519331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	519332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	519333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	519334  

Last edited by SomeDudeOnline; 04-17-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Ok it's bugging me now. The gap in the frame indicates that the rod is too low which to me means that the bend must be on the shifter side rather than the tranny side and I would think it's the joint on the shifter but I don't see any indications of a bend and it looks like the stock shifter to me.

Do any of you think the shifter looks bent or have another idea how the rod could be too low?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
You didn't send a pic of the rod, so no way of knowing. Want 100% certainty? Pull everything apart. Everything. Put every edge against a straightedge (known straight). Promise at least one thing is bent...
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
You didn't send a pic of the rod, so no way of knowing. Want 100% certainty? Pull everything apart. Everything. Put every edge against a straightedge (known straight). Promise at least one thing is bent...
Well I did take everything apart as you can see from the first set of pictures (except for the transmission) but the thing is that I can't take a straight edge to parts that are intentionally rounded. I did take a straightedge to the rod and that's why I didn't originally include the picture over others. But here it is. Also, the rod would need to be bent a lot to account for how low the nut is. It's a full centimeter lower than it should be. The same applies to the shift shaft, if the shift shaft were causing the problem it would be skewed by like 30 degrees and at that point I'm sure there would be much bigger problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	519441  

Last edited by SomeDudeOnline; 04-19-2019 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: adjusted wording - added a little info.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Bump
Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Take it to a shop. It's obvious something got fucked up in the crash. There's not much more we can do aside from tell you that from looking at pictures online.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
It could be a stack-up of tweaks or the main mounting bracket surfaces squished and move it a bit.

If it's not bent on the outside it must be bent on the inside. Turlock is too far for me to satisfy my interest, and I'd be no use anyway.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeOnline View Post
Ok it's bugging me now. The gap in the frame indicates that the rod is too low which to me means that the bend must be on the shifter side rather than the tranny side and I would think it's the joint on the shifter but I don't see any indications of a bend and it looks like the stock shifter to me.

Do any of you think the shifter looks bent or have another idea how the rod could be too low?
Is the the shorter leg of the lever marked "1" twisted/bent so that it is no longer parallel to "2"? Looking downward from directly overhead is the upper portion of the lever twisted anti-clockwise? Effectively extending the rod length and positioning the shift peg lower.

Section "3" appears to be straight but maybe it's supposed to be curved

Anyways, distract lever and kick its nads i.e. coax the shift lever into compliance using cheater bars and vice grips. If that fails Ebay has levers for $25.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 10.02.38 PM.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	519712  
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
SomeDudeOnline

Name:
Good news! Everyone was right. I met up with MotoMania who confirmed that the bend was on the shorter section of the shifter and helped me bend it back into place which allowed the nut to clear the frame. He also taught me some handy things regarding bike setup in general.