Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #31
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWeezyXB12 View Post
i dont know if its true but there was something floating around social media that said the 1 billion donated to the notre dame church to rebuild is enough to clean up the entire garbage patch in the ocean.
Pocket change to Zuckerburg or Bezos.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #32
Brokenlink
Veteran

Contributor++++

Motorcycles: FZ-09 DRZ400SM
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Enjoy discussing what none of you will ever do.
You realize that I am currently working on a state-wide project to mitigate for impacts from transportation projects on endangered species and to mitigate for the effects of climate change and sea level rise?

How about we keep talking about things that SOME OF US ARE ACTIVELY WORKING ON, and you can watch while you scowl in anger and frustration.
Brokenlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
The most ridiculous part of climate change is the fact that man has the arrogance to think he/she plays much of any part in it and has any ability to change it. We really think much too highly of our place in the universe.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #34
Brokenlink
Veteran

Contributor++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
The most ridiculous part of climate change is the fact that man has the arrogance to think he/she plays much of any part in it and has any ability to change it. We really think much too highly of our place in the universe.
You mean that all the data is fake and you are basing your statement on what? This whole argument is stupid. Who fucking cares why it is happening (although I think it's due to humans, as the data suggests)? The bottom line is that it is happening. And we can slow it down or at least try and mitigate for the inevitable. But you guys always just sit there and play the blame game. Who cares what is to blame.

"Oh no, my house is burning down, should we put it out?"

"I didn't start the fire."

It's an idiotic argument meant to do nothing but deflect from the issue.

Last edited by Brokenlink; 05-07-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #35
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Of course people can change it for the worse, but it's mindblowingly carayzee to think you could change it for the better. For a while there, people thought straws only worked in one direction.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #36
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
Of course people can change it for the worse, but it's mindblowingly carayzee to think you could change it for the better. For a while there, people thought straws only worked in one direction.
Well, I would say the Ozone layer damage and the subsequent self repair after CFC's were banned (THANKS, 80's HAIR!) in so many products is an argument that some change can be made.

Of course, climate change is also an easily observed naturally occurring process that we do not yet possess the technology to control. I think the real answer lies somewhere in the middle. The, "ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT," nazis are fucking absurd, but the, "climate change is nonsense and there is no point in doing anything," guys are also being willfully ignorant.

There is a good healthy point of policy somewhere in the middle, but of course in this country, no one is interested in a moderate rational stance. The reality of the global situation is that the UAE has a much higher per capita carbon footprint than the U.S. and China is a willdly higher global polluter in total.

Folks that preach about making climate change the, #1 Political Issue in elections are absurd. People should be much more interested in what policy India and China are adopting if they really care.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #37
SM610
Veteran

Motorcycles: TTR 125 L, 08 WR250F, the rest are all gone...
Name:
1. Honest question... Out of the million species that are going away, what % are we directly responsible for, indirectly responsible for, and not responsible for? Because the sentiment seems to be that we're responsible for all of it. It also seems likely that someone will find a way to make that true one way or the other.

2. The atmosphere of human self hatred turns viable allies away from being partisipants in this. I find myself put off by righeous preaching by the equally guilty. I do what i can as often as i can, but i find that people assign moral superiority to their efforts, when truely the difference is negligible.

3. I want things to be better just like everyone else, but lets stop pretending. We live in a place that is like a dream for all of the people in 3rd world countries, and thats a lot of people. Not one of them will care the tiniest bit about this subject until THEY are where WE are. For them to get here they will ignore the luxury of caring about such things just like we did. Who is going to deny them the ability to have THIS for the sake of this abstract cause? Because the path to where we are is not without cost. There are more than a billion people out there who dont give a flyin fuck about this because they live one step on the ladder above animals. You're going to have to convince them that its in everyones best interrest to stay where thay are. Good luck with that...

I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am.
(Rest in peace my sweet girl Paioli 1/21/13)
(And Fossil, Paioli's pal 4/6/17)
SM610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #38
Brokenlink
Veteran

Contributor++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM610 View Post
1. Honest question... Out of the million species that are going away, what % are we directly responsible for, indirectly responsible for, and not responsible for? Because the sentiment seems to be that we're responsible for all of it. It also seems likely that someone will find a way to make that true one way or the other.

2. The atmosphere of human self hatred turns viable allies away from being partisipants in this. I find myself put off by righeous preaching by the equally guilty. I do what i can as often as i can, but i find that people assign moral superiority to their efforts, when truely the difference is negligible.

3. I want things to be better just like everyone else, but lets stop pretending. We live in a place that is like a dream for all of the people in 3rd world countries, and thats a lot of people. Not one of them will care the tiniest bit about this subject until THEY are where WE are. For them to get here they will ignore the luxury of caring about such things just like we did. Who is going to deny them the ability to have THIS for the sake of this abstract cause? Because the path to where we are is not without cost. There are more than a billion people out there who dont give a flyin fuck about this because they live one step on the ladder above animals. You're going to have to convince them that its in everyones best interrest to stay where thay are. Good luck with that...

I believe that a huge number of the species that may go extinct are not because of global warming or climate change, but as a result of things like deforestation, poaching, etc. Which is a result of climate chanfge and people needing resources. So it's not like CO2 increases and animals die (although they do). It's more like "hey, this is a desert now, so we have to move further into the jungle and slash and burn, which furthers the problem."

But yeah, I agree with you. What can we do in these situations?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #39
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
Well, I would say the Ozone layer damage and the subsequent self repair after CFC's were banned (THANKS, 80's HAIR!) in so many products is an argument that some change can be made.

Of course, climate change is also an easily observed naturally occurring process that we do not yet possess the technology to control. I think the real answer lies somewhere in the middle. The, "ZERO CARBON FOOTPRINT," nazis are fucking absurd, but the, "climate change is nonsense and there is no point in doing anything," guys are also being willfully ignorant.

There is a good healthy point of policy somewhere in the middle, but of course in this country, no one is interested in a moderate rational stance. The reality of the global situation is that the UAE has a much higher per capita carbon footprint than the U.S. and China is a willdly higher global polluter in total.

Folks that preach about making climate change the, #1 Political Issue in elections are absurd. People should be much more interested in what policy India and China are adopting if they really care.
It's not really binary like that though. Like with any business, you have engineers whose top priority is engineering things, drafting whose top priority is drafting things, shipping..whose top priority is shipping things. We're not a single mass that's only capable of tackling one issue at a time. If there isn't a gov't funded group out there with a top priority of tackling environmental things, that'd just be another notch in our belt of well documented, nearsightedness idiocy. In a way, I want things to be get shitty really fast, because we're so incredibly stupid that it's the only way to agree there's a problem and that we should do what we can. With incremental change, it's too easy for dumb people to dismiss each little change all the way through their own death.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #40
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenlink View Post
I believe that a huge number of the species that may go extinct are not because of global warming or climate change, but as a result of things like deforestation, poaching, etc. Which is a result of climate chanfge and people needing resources. So it's not like CO2 increases and animals die (although they do). It's more like "hey, this is a desert now, so we have to move further into the jungle and slash and burn, which furthers the problem."

But yeah, I agree with you. What can we do in these situations?
See, now you are just lumping human consumption into the same hat as climate change, that is just wildly out of proportion in relationship to your apparent position.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #41
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
need more people like this https://www.theepochtimes.com/meet-t...y_2819284.html
Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #42
bruceflinch
I love Da Whores

Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Present: Cage Past 305SS RD400 CB500 RD250 CB360 XS650 R1200R XT225 ST1300 Vstrom 650
Name: Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenlink View Post
Power of one, bro. If none of us can make a difference, none of us will. If we all can make a difference, maybe we will.
Namaste!
bruceflinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #43
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:

Agreed on all accounts.

The more that both sides get entrenched in their rhetoric, the more stupid their policies (or lack of) get.

Humans can and do impact the world around them to the extent that climate change has happened. Anybody thinking that we don't is either willfully ignorant or just listening to the paid deniers. The evidence is all there if somebody is willing to look at it.

OTOH, stupid people are going too far in other areas, the answer, as with just about everything else relating to politics, is somewhere in the middle.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #44
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Quote:
See, now you are just lumping human consumption into the same hat as climate change, that is just wildly out of proportion in relationship to your apparent position.
He's not doing that at all. He's just answering the first question. You inserted the strict connection yourself. He even says it's in connection to consumption.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #45
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWeezyXB12 View Post
One man, one act. Big impact. Now is there a way to address the bigger situation of drought so this man does not have to keep doing what hes doing? Maybe. That big question is for scientist and governments to work on if they care enough to make it a priority.

You should always be looking for new ways to have fun.
I'm not a nostalgic guy. I'll talk about the past when someone asks, but I'm always looking at what's next for fun.
That's what has kept me pushing forward all these years. - Bob Mctavish

...What would life be like if we only did what is necessary? - Niki Lauda
Mike95060 is online now   Reply With Quote