Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
One man, one act. Big impact. Now is there a way to address the bigger situation of drought so this man does not have to keep doing what hes doing? Maybe. That big question is for scientist and governments to work on if they care enough to make it a priority.
Climate change.

As long as the deniers can convince people that there has been no impact by humans, there will continue to be a worsening problem.

But, it's a global, not national issue. But, our deniers make it easier for other countries to make excuses.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #47
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Climate change.

As long as the deniers can convince people that there has been no impact by humans, there will continue to be a worsening problem.

But, it's a global, not national issue. But, our deniers make it easier for other countries to make excuses.
I agree.

You should always be looking for new ways to have fun.
I'm not a nostalgic guy. I'll talk about the past when someone asks, but I'm always looking at what's next for fun.
That's what has kept me pushing forward all these years. - Bob Mctavish

...What would life be like if we only did what is necessary? - Niki Lauda
Mike95060 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #48
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
We literally poked a hole in the fucking atmosphere with our use of shitty CFC's and then fixed it and some people still hold onto the lie that man cannot affect the environment.

Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #49
KWeezyXB12
SKRRRRRRRRRRRT!!!!!!

Motorcycles: 2002 yz 250
Name: Kyle
this topic makes me mad because there are so many celebrities and big money people that talk big about climate change and cleaning up the environment but to me it seems like they do it to stay in the light and for clout. i want to see what they actually do. things like the article i posted above where maybe the bought a fleet of trucks or something like that rather then a IG or facebook post spreading awareness. not saying they dont do things they probably do some but i want to physically see it.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #50
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
What are they supposed to do? Like if someone has a problem with spending and they get themselves into a big hole of debt, do you fix that by bailing them out?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #51
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quick Google search says:
"In 2014, U.S. greenhouse gas emissions totaled 6,870 million metric tons".

Thats just the US and probably similar numbers to every other year yet people are surprised this could impact the climate. Sure sounds logical.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #52
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenlink View Post
You mean that all the data is fake and you are basing your statement on what? This whole argument is stupid. Who fucking cares why it is happening (although I think it's due to humans, as the data suggests)? The bottom line is that it is happening. And we can slow it down or at least try and mitigate for the inevitable. But you guys always just sit there and play the blame game. Who cares what is to blame.

"Oh no, my house is burning down, should we put it out?"

"I didn't start the fire."

It's an idiotic argument meant to do nothing but deflect from the issue.
No, it's that our existence will span a fraction of a millisecond in a billion years of the universe and nature will determine how we evolve and when we die out. And the planet will go on, with new species or evolved species.

I don't doubt there is climate change and that at least some of that is caused by man. We're animals and we're part of the ecosystem. Where we fail, in my opinion, is when we think we truly understand the incredibly complex natural system in which we live, can clearly delineate cause and effect, and that we have the ability to control the system. Oh yeah, and then convince 7 billion people to put their individual selfish needs aside (you know eating and producing and lifting their quality of life out of squalor) and save the world.

It's just not gonna happen. The real world is not the fantasy world we all wish it would be.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #53
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
It's not really binary like that though. Like with any business, you have engineers whose top priority is engineering things, drafting whose top priority is drafting things, shipping..whose top priority is shipping things. We're not a single mass that's only capable of tackling one issue at a time. If there isn't a gov't funded group out there with a top priority of tackling environmental things, that'd just be another notch in our belt of well documented, nearsightedness idiocy. In a way, I want things to be get shitty really fast, because we're so incredibly stupid that it's the only way to agree there's a problem and that we should do what we can. With incremental change, it's too easy for dumb people to dismiss each little change all the way through their own death.

What I said is the opposite of what you are saying I said. I specific made the argument that is was not binary, but most of the talking heads on this issue in this country seem to profess that it is.

The Berkeley, "We all have to be vegan with zero landfill or the apocalypse will start tomorrow," People are hysterical douchebags. Eat steak and drive cars. The same can be said for the "god's Plan cannot be altered!" loonies. Recycle metals and look for less toxic plastic alternatives.

That doesn't mean policy does not matter, but the reality is, the U.S. is not even the biggest player in this game. Rational, even tempered discussion of solutions does not sell ratings though.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #54
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWeezyXB12 View Post
this topic makes me mad because there are so many celebrities and big money people that talk big about climate change and cleaning up the environment but to me it seems like they do it to stay in the light and for clout.
For sure. A wealthy friend of mine would brag all the time about his Prius and Volt hybrid cars and how good they were for the environment. While he and he wife were living in a 4000 square foot house with two massive A/C units and jetting all over the world for vacations 4-5 times a year. Saving the world, 1000 gallons of jet fuel at a time.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #55
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Climate change.

And the media will continually brand anyone who disagrees with the radical left a 'climate denier'. There are plenty of people who recognize that climate change is real, they just disagree on what we can and should do about it.

The arrogance of the left leaves them unable to accept the fact that some people may not agree with them and that, just because they don't, doesn't mean that their opinions are invalid. And to avoid an honest debate, they simply brand them as 'climate deniers' when it comes to the environment, 'racists' when it comes to immigration, etc.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #56
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
The most ridiculous part of climate change is the fact that man has the arrogance to think he/she plays much of any part in it and has any ability to change it.
Quote:
...I don't doubt there is climate change and that at least some of that is caused by man. We're animals and we're part of the ecosystem.
So you're just trolling the thread.

Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #57
BURNROPE
Veteran

Motorcycles: BMW GS/PD XR600
Name:
We(mankind) should be the ones to fuck the planet to death. It's what we do best. Why should some asteroid get all of the glory?
BURNROPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #58
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
No, it's that our existence will span a fraction of a millisecond in a billion years of the universe and nature will determine how we evolve and when we die out. And the planet will go on, with new species or evolved species.

I don't doubt there is climate change and that at least some of that is caused by man. We're animals and we're part of the ecosystem. Where we fail, in my opinion, is when we think we truly understand the incredibly complex natural system in which we live, can clearly delineate cause and effect, and that we have the ability to control the system. Oh yeah, and then convince 7 billion people to put their individual selfish needs aside (you know eating and producing and lifting their quality of life out of squalor) and save the world.

It's just not gonna happen. The real world is not the fantasy world we all wish it would be.

Yup. Humanity appears to be a failed species.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #59
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
late stage capitalism is awesome...
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=501779
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #60
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Yup. Humanity appears to be a failed species.
its not humanity. its our idiotic economic system. theres ample evidence of humanity existing just find in enviromental niches with limited impact.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=501779
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote