Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #31
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Arean View Post
I guess I need a pep talk on how great corporations are. I spent years trying to be all bootstrappy and self-made but shit, we're all in crosshairs anymore.
Corporations are all looking to replace workers with robots across all skill levels, from burger flippers to Lyft drivers and even to fancy paralegal and financial jobs. Ironically it's the higher paying/white collar jobs that are easier to replace.

good pep talk eh?
gnahc79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #32
kevin 714
Veteran

MotoGP madman
BARFie winner 2014
Top Percent Poster
Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: LOLWUT?
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
“Operates in 700 cities”
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=501779
kevin 714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #33
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bonneville
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnahc79 View Post
Corporations are all looking to replace workers with robots across all skill levels, from burger flippers to Lyft drivers and even to fancy paralegal and financial jobs. Ironically it's the higher paying/white collar jobs that are easier to replace.

good pep talk eh?
Hey, that's MY deal! (Telling everyone that robots are the answer for the wealthy to do away with unpleasant poor people who can't afford Atherton, the Ahwanee and Calif wine prices).

Just imagine being able to stylishly bike around SFO without a buncha poor people and their shit in the streets. The $7 sourced artisinal lattes would be so much more delicious. Made by a robot of course.
Bay Arean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #34
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
Ride share reduces traffic by eliminating the traffic that is just looking for parking - this is significant

Double parking for loading and unloading increases traffic - I think its either a wash or overall benefit.
I think the pertinent statistic is those who abandon public transit for the service adding to overall total. Plenty of people may have given up driving because of parking and SF street configurations. Along comes Uber, and they are back in cars.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #35
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
"About a quarterof Uber’s bookings—all the money that customers pay through the app and in cash, including driver earnings—occur in just five cities: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, and São Paulo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin 714 View Post
“Operates in 700 cities”

For a company that operates in more than 700 cities, including quite a few giants—Mexico City, Tokyo, Paris, Lagos, Hong Kong, Seoul, and Mumbai, to name a few—that concentration gives Uber a surprising vulnerability at the local level
Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #36
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
there was an Uber-service in Vietnam, called Grab. u could get a ride on a scooter for 1/4th the price of a car ride and they even had to provide a skullcap helmet. some riders would even be willing to take 2 passengers on said scooter. I unfortunately didn't get to ride one because the gf wasn't down to 3-up in a city with terrible traffic and no traffic laws.

I really don't understand this Uber strike situation. are drivers forced to do that job? have their wages been decreasing? is Uber allowing too many drivers, making it impossible to get enough fares? has Uber ever implied its a "living-wage" job? can someone enlighten me some?
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 05-09-2019 at 08:28 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #37
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
Quote:
Uber exists only for cities like San Francisco, so there were no additional/less cars on your route!!!!
Quote:
...one-quarter of its business happens in just five cities
It's pretty neato that they pull in a quarter of their business in only 5 cities, but that does not negate the fact that you were completely erroneous in your assertion that uber exists only for large metropolitan areas with traffic congestion.

It's almost like you're ignoring 76% of their market.

Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #38
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
there was an Uber-service in Vietnam, called Grab. u could get a ride on a scooter for 1/4th the price of a car ride and they even had to provide a skullcap helmet. some riders would even be willing to take 2 passengers on said scooter. I unfortunately didn't get to ride one because the gf wasn't down to 3-up in a city with terrible traffic and no traffic laws.

I really don't understand this Uber strike situation. are drivers forced to do that job? have their wages been decreasing? is Uber allowing too many drivers, making it impossible to get enough fares? has Uber ever implied its a "living-wage" job? can someone enlighten me some?
It's just human nature. It's like empowering homeless, telling them they have rights, and the next thing you know, this bro is camping in my neighbor's back yard and WON'T go away until the deputy sheriff comes. True story.

There is a level of selective stupidity. A guy takes the job because he's desperate for side capital or only capital. It becomes a thing, the owners get rich and all of a sudden, the expectations begin. It was stupid to think it was anything but a shit job, but shifting economics shine a bit more points into the IQ.

Because unemployment is so low right now, there are many jobs just not being filled. I work for a newspaper. We cannot find new carriers to deliver papers because the pay is so low. We run ads for caregivers. Right now our ads are 1/3 of what they were a few years back because less people want to do that shit. It's only normal for an Uber driver to start thinking, hey, I am worth more, the owners are getting rich so I should apply leverage

Another of my insufferable jibes over the years has been this: when we run out of countries' populations whose lives are so miserable that they will make shit for crap wages, then consumer goods prices will finally return to forced moderation instead of the bargain free-for-all we have had in global capitalism. Call it my Puritan dream, if you will.

I hate 99 cent stores and everything they represent and I can't kiss em goodbye fast enough. It's something that arose in my lifetime and that I can envision going away. People actually getting smart enough to not buy mimic-quality rather than actually good quality goods for keeps. I know, it's a silly dream, but it's my dream, bigawd. Post-modern, post-commodity-fetishism. I'm gonna get all weepy-eyed and sing Imagine, with my own lyrics, now. Chant with me: Less stuff, better quality. Less stuff, better quality.

All joking aside: this is why robots and self-driving cars are so attractive to the rich. Damn poor people are messy. They want shit.

To a compassionate human being, the desirable outcome is income equity.

But thats not what rich people want. They were smart and lucky enough to get rich, now they want to stay rich, not share. Robots are the answer when all social laxity about human suffering becomes untenable.

Of course, the suffering will increase and that's why some of the ultra-rich support a payoff, a basic univeral human wage for not necessarily doing anything. So they can still feel better about their exploitation. The coal miner doesn't have to go into the mine anymore, but will get a small check for not doing so.

Last edited by Bay Arean; 05-09-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #39
Psychochik
Veteran

2007 Barfie Winner
Top Percent Poster
Contributor ++ BB

Motorcycles: Honduh
Name: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
Ride share reduces traffic by eliminating the traffic that is just looking for parking - this is significant

Double parking for loading and unloading increases traffic - I think its either a wash or overall benefit.
The hotels have taken over most of the available parking in the parking garages downtown, so its really hard to find parking and double parking for fares is the norm in a super crowded little area.

V4 says: seems like a lotta confusions, misdirected info,speculations, and...
oh wait..
this is teh BARF...
that's normal around here...

compassrose says: "BARF: We're not your shoulder to cry on if you're a fucking idiot"
Psychochik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Arean View Post
I think the pertinent statistic is those who abandon public transit for the service adding to overall total. Plenty of people may have given up driving because of parking and SF street configurations. Along comes Uber, and they are back in cars.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/23/...transit-study/

Quote:
Three researchers at the U-K's Department of Civil Engineering examined patterns of transit ridership in 22 U.S. cities between January 2002 and April 2018. They found that when so-called transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft enter a market, rail ridership drops by 1.29 percent per year, while bus ridership falls by 1.7 percent. "This effect increases with time as TNCs increase in use — after 8 years this would be associated with a 12.7 percent decrease in bus ridership," the authors wrote in the report, which suggests cities might consider congestion pricing or re-allocating right-of-way on streets from cars to transit.

The researchers found that in New York alone, total daily Uber and Lyft trips grew from around 60,000 in 2015 to 600,000 in 2018, a period that corresponds with 580,000 fewer daily boardings of buses and subway trains in the city.

"Our results suggest that the recent decline in transit ridership in major U.S. cities cannot be attributed to transit service cuts alone," report co-author Gregory Erhardt told Streetsblog. "The ridership decline is steepest from 2015 onwards, and correlates with the introduction of Uber into a market."

The report is something of a rebuke to previous theories that sought to attribute flat or declining transit ridership in recent years to factors like cheap fuel prices, increased car ownership and the maintenance issues and service cuts that have been well-documented in cities like New York and Washington D.C. The authors go on to suggest that the shift away from public transit to ride-hailing, unsurprisingly, results in increased traffic congestion in dense cities.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #41
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnahc79 View Post
You and me get it, and without even a study!.

Who the hell wants to ride on Muni or BART if you have another option but don't have to drive, or park?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:

Americans have been spoiled too long by a life of comfort and safety. It builds false entitlement. Eventually, the weakness this creates will drive is into a truly horrible war with a more realistic and competitive nation (China) and the horror and hardship created as a result of that conflict will change people's expectations of society.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #43
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
Americans have been spoiled too long by a life of comfort and safety. It builds false entitlement. Eventually, the weakness this creates will drive is into a truly horrible war with a more realistic and competitive nation (China) and the horror and hardship created as a result of that conflict will change people's expectations of society.
so you mean GO AMERICA will be like this. great
Old 05-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #44
BeksNY
Home of the Pinkstich(tm)

Undersecretary of Fun
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW R1200RT 90th Edition; 2017 BMW F700 GS; 1997 BMW R850R; 2018 Ninja 400
Name: Bekah/Beks
Quote:

The argument is that wages are (rapidly) decreasing, while the company is about to IPO with an insane valuation of more than $90 Billion. Some estimates put it at $120 Billion. This article from Slate quotes a driver as saying that six years ago, he received $2.20/mile and now it's more like $0.92/mile. You can imagine that Uber has been squeezing as much profit out of every single ride as possible, in order to push up their valuation to attract investors (in spite of the company's annual operating loss of something like $1B). In essence, the workers are experiencing dramatically decreasing wages, while the shareholders and early equity holders are about to become overnight millionaires. One estimate I saw put the anticipated number of overnight millionaires at about 10,000 people. So, that's cool... for them.

Note that this is similar to the 2004 Google IPO that turned a significant number of early employees into millionaires. One tangible ripple effect in the local economy will likely translate almost overnight to higher demand for real estate, which is already at bananas-level prices, pushing out more of the middle and lower classes.

"Like a flamingo with wheels." -tzrider

Last edited by BeksNY; 05-09-2019 at 12:45 PM..
BeksNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #45
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeksNY View Post
The argument is that wages are (rapidly) decreasing, while the company is about to IPO with an insane valuation of more than $90 Billion. Some estimates put it at $120 Billion. This article from Slate quotes a driver as saying that six years ago, he received $2.20/mile and now it's more like $0.92/mile. In essence, the workers are experiencing dramatically decreasing wages, while the shareholders and early equity holders are about to become overnight millionaires. One estimate I saw put the estimate of overnight millionaires at about 10,000 people. So, that's cool... for them.

Note that this is similar to the 2004 Google IPO that turned a significant number of early employees into millionaires. The ripple effect in the local economy will likely translate to higher demand for real estate, which is already at bananas-level prices, pushing out more of the middle and lower classes.
thnx for the info
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote