BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
Samson90

Motorcycles:
Name:
Passed class looking for bike

Hi
I’m a new rider. 6’3” 250 lbs. looking for cruiser or touring 600 cc range. Need something I fit on but is small enough to learn on. My plan at this point is to ride around town etc for a year then trade up to a bigger big. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Samson90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
I'd look for dual sport in the 600cc range. Taller and beefier suspension and playing in the dirt is the best training for the street. Cruisers whole goal is to be close to the ground and you'll look kind of odd stuffed into a 600cc small frame.

Last edited by bmwbob51; 05-20-2019 at 05:59 AM..
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Cruisers are generally horrible for tall riders. I'm 6'3" and hated every cruiser I have ever ridden, including Triumph's Rocket 3. Your legs are pushed up and you end up sitting right on your tail bone. Painful to say the least. I think the Dual Sport is a great idea.

Mad
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
I rode a Multistrada 620 and loved it by the way.

Mad
Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Welcome to riding.

I suggest visiting a large dealership and sit on a bunch of different bikes to see how you fit in them.

A guy your size, would probably fit best on the 650 twin class of standard and sport bike (sv650, 650 ninja, FZ/mt07, etc) or the 650-750 cruisers. The 400-650 dual sports are great bikes but if you are comfortable on a cruiser, you likely will be miserably uncomfortable on the dual sport.

Shopping for used bikes:
Santa Clara cycle Accy
Craigslist
Barf classifieds
OfferUp app
Facebook classifieds
Other sources

If I can help, let me know.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Alan_Hepburn
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1994 GL1500SE
Name:
I'm not quite as tall as you, at 6' but I was comfortable on my Suzuki C50T when I had it. It's a bit more engine than you mentioned, being 805 cc, but it was easy to ride, and comfortable for my 34" inseam legs.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner)
Versys 650 with an aftermarket tall seat and some handlebar risers

Welcome, going to the dealer and sitting on some bikes is great idea.

Adding a tall seat is also a great idea for leg room

Every bike is going to be sprung soft for your weight. Getting the suspension resprung for your weight is probably a good idea also.

Last edited by banshee01; 05-20-2019 at 10:05 AM..
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
maidenfan84
Rookie

Motorcycles: Royal Enfield Continental GT
Name:
Honda Shadow Phantom 750 is a fantastic cruiser. Very beginner friendly and comfortable. Can't beat the Honda reliability, either...
maidenfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Welcome to riding.

I suggest visiting a large dealership and sit on a bunch of different bikes to see how you fit in them.

This is also my recommendation- most dealers will let you sit on any of their used inventory without a second thought, and even test ride them, so I'd put butt in seat for a few minutes on each of the makes/models you find appealing, see how the ergos work for you, etc. When you find one or three that you like, take 'em for short test rides to see how they feel- even just around a parking lot can be enough ride time to figure out if this is a good fit for you or not. For me, I had a long time narrowing it down to a Honda VTX1800 or a Honda Valkyrie 1500, and wound up not liking the standard riding position on the Valk, so VTX it was.

You're welcome to leg over anything in my stable if you like- I'm out in Livermore but can ride any of 'em into town for you to try, for the low cost of a hearty handshake.
2008 Harley Davidson FLHP Road King Police (Porky The Pig Bike!)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Independent

Last edited by cheez; 05-20-2019 at 01:00 PM..
cheez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Samson90

Motorcycles:
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I'd look for dual sport in the 600cc range. Taller and beefier suspension and playing in the dirt is the best training for the street. Cruisers whole goal is to be close to the ground and you'll look kind of odd stuffed into a 600cc small frame.
Thanks everyone I will take the collective advice. I will be out of town for a few weeks but when I get back I will start shopping 😊
Samson90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Remember, you will drop the bike at some point. A used, low budget entry bike is the way to go. Don't get all hung up about what bike you want. It will take a while to figure out what kind of riding you want to do and what kind of bike checks all the boxes. It may take a bike or 3 to figure it all out.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #12
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Not everyone drops their first bike. Some people never drop bikes.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Remember, you will drop the bike at some point. A used, low budget entry bike is the way to go. Don't get all hung up about what bike you want. It will take a while to figure out what kind of riding you want to do and what kind of bike checks all the boxes. It may take a bike or 3 to figure it all out.
Very sage advice.

While some riders might not drop their bikes, the vast majority do.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
dirtbag
Triumph RAT

Treat me good, I'll treat you better, treat me bad and I'll treat you worse. ( Sonny Barger )
Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph
Name: dan
Less seat time less accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejv View Post
Not everyone drops their first bike. Some people never drop bikes.
Whaaaaaat
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #15
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Whaaaaaat
First off I took dropped to mean a bike falling over so that is what I am talking about. Not collisions though my problem with the attitude applies to that as well.

Sure a lot of people do drop their bikes. I read about it regularly in Craigslist ads. There are also many bikes for sale where ethe owner claims the bike has never been dropped, crashed or otherwise involved in any sort of collision. Some people drop bikes even after many years of experience and many thousands of hours handling motorcycles. New ones, old ones. The bike doesn't care how much you have invested in it. If you drop it you drop it.

My problem is with the attitude that it is inevitable. It's not. If you think you will drop it then I'm sure you will.

I've been riding since 2004 and never dropped one. Does that mean I have to continue riding an older less expensive bike? Maybe I should buy a cheap learner bike and just drop it and get that part of the "riding experience" out of the way and then it's ok to get a nicer, newer, more expensive motorcycle?

I've had plenty of opportunities to drop my motorcycles. But my mind was made up when I started riding that it doesn't have to happen. And so somehow for nearly 15 years I have avoided it. Someday it may happen and if/when it does if the bike costs $1,000 or $40,000 it makes no difference. I will still have dropped my bike and I'll still be irritated by that fact.

I've had others on here argue with me about crashing bikes as well. Funny thing is the one arguing the most admitted to 5 or 6 (don't remember exactly) road crashes. Maybe that isn't the best person to be giving advice on riding safely and avoiding collisions.

If I want to learn how to shoot free throws at a high percentage should I take advice from Shaquille O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain, and Ben Wallace or perhaps aim a little higher and get advice from Steph Curry, Steve Nash and Ray Allen?
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote