BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Streetriders Rights

Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Bill introduced to end federal funding of motorcycle-only checkpoints

Via the AMA (sign up for action alerts here if you're not getting these already)

Senators Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Ron Johnson ( R.-Wis.), Kelly Ayotte (R.-N.H.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) have introduced Senate Bill 2078, which would prohibit federal funding for motorcycle-only checkpoints and therefore limit the implementation of these discriminatory checkpoints.
  • California, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia have outlawed MOCs.
  • Illinois and New Hampshire have already prohibited use of federal money for MOCs.
  • Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming -- have prohibited checkpoints by statute and/or judicial action.
In spite of the above, the AMA reports that federal, state and local governments have spent more than a half million dollars on motorcycle-only checkpoints in the last two years.

More info on MOCs (motorcycle-only checkpoints) from the AMA here.

--> And here you can send a letter to your senator to ask them to support the Stop Motorcycle Checkpoint Funding Act by becoming a cosponsor.

Any of you ever experienced an MOC?
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350
Name: Daniel
I haven't ever seen a motorcycle only checkpoint, but I sent off the letter anyway. Thanks.

Daniel
1962siia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
I haven't ever seen a motorcycle only checkpoint, but I sent off the letter anyway. Thanks.

Daniel
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
ryder
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suck
Name: Steven
never heard or experienced a motorcycle only check point before
ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Emoney600
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 954rr
Name:
I have never seen this myself. However, couldn't it be useful for catching those on stolen bikes?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Surj
Uneasy Rider

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney600 View Post
I have never seen this myself. However, couldn't it be useful for catching those on stolen bikes?
I hate bike thieves as much as anyone around here, but consider this: we don't catch car thieves by stopping every car and "just checking" to see if a car is stolen. It'd make sense to stop red Honda sport bikes if one such bike has stolen recently in a particular area, but stopping every bike under the guise of "we're just looking for stolen motorcycles, and by the way, here's a ticket for your pipe" isn't the same thing—and sucks.

By the way, that's just an example, not a statement about how it's "not fair" to get ticketed for a loud pipe.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
tonelar
Veteran

Motorcycles: SD990 , R1200C , T500
Name: T3
I didn't even know such things existed. So if you're on the highway in a state where these MOCs are implemented, you need to pull over or is there a sticker you get like with the Coast Guard's annual safety stop?

Last edited by tonelar; 07-02-2014 at 09:02 AM..
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote