Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
cal scott
Wookie

Motorcycles: V-Strom DL650AL3
Name: Iain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
Day 6: South to Idaho Falls, Jackson, Grand Tetons loop - again, not sure on crash spot.
The AAC Climbers Ranch is an inexpensive place to crash right at the foot of the Tetons. The minimalist amenities are enough to cover most if not all your needs on the road without breaking the bank. Currently $27 per night for non-members.

https://americanalpineclub.org/grand...limbers-ranch/
cal scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
zixaq
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ6
Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMGeoff View Post
Scott, I ride out to Wyoming every year about the time your headed out there, this year it`s June 23rd., I`ll be outside of Cody Wy. until July ??? This route will get you there in 4 days, if you want to go up the coast 5 or 6 days to Laramie.

Ride thru Yellowstone if you have never been there, be prepared to pass long lines of cars looking at the animals on the side of the road. Should you come up on a herd of Bison in the road, let the cars go first, and be very careful. Animals have the right of way in Yellowstone so be prepared. After that stay away, go around on your way home.

I like to get out of California as quickly as possible, so I slab out to Red Bluff and head out 36, this year a little different, going out by Chico and up.

This route takes you on some great motorcycle roads in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. If you like I can give you some day rides around Cody Wy., and a good return route back to SF. I have GPX files if you would like them.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/SF,+...41.3113669!3e0
This is good stuff. Thanks. I'm not in a rush to get out of California on my farewell trip, but that would save me a day's worth of riding and give me more flexibility with my schedule. Sadly, I won't be returning any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal scott View Post
The AAC Climbers Ranch is an inexpensive place to crash right at the foot of the Tetons. The minimalist amenities are enough to cover most if not all your needs on the road without breaking the bank. Currently $27 per night for non-members.

https://americanalpineclub.org/grand...limbers-ranch/
I'll be calling them. Thanks.

On a related note: Should I pop on my heated grips for a trip through this area in June?
zixaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
It'll certainly be chilly at night and early morning (or at least it was for me in early July)
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #19
KTMGeoff
Repaired Geoff

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada, GSXR 1000
Name: Geoff
Quote:
On a related note: Should I pop on my heated grips for a trip through this area in June?
Be prepared for everything......cooling vest, it can get hot riding across eastern Oregon. Rain gear, you will see afternoon thunder storms on your route. Heated grips will help when your caught in a thunder storm at higher elevations, temp can drop 20-30 deg. quickly.

Check your route for the frequency of gas stops. There are some long stretches in Oregon with no gas stations. If you can get 150-160 miles on your tank you should be good, if not carry a fuel bottle. Check on Google maps where the gas stations are on your route.

Last edited by KTMGeoff; 05-09-2018 at 08:32 AM..
KTMGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #20
zixaq
Veteran

I usually hit reserve at about 140, and I can milk another 35 out of it before I'm stuck. A fuel bottle will get me another 10, which doesn't seem like a ton, but might be worth having along.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
KTMGeoff
Repaired Geoff

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada, GSXR 1000
Name: Geoff
Quote:
I usually hit reserve at about 140, and I can milk another 35 out of it before I'm stuck. A fuel bottle will get me another 10, which doesn't seem like a ton, but might be worth having along.
You should be good to go with that mileage.

Post up your route, and when you will come thru Cody Wy. Your welcome to put up your tent in the yard, and spend the night. There will be 7 other riders hanging around.

We will be in Powell Wy. 20 min. north of Cody.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #22
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
One of the things I've never taken but know I should, is a siphon hose. If you're riding with someone, the one with less range can get bailed out by the other. But even riding alone, a passing motorist will be more likely to have a tank of gas than a gas can.

FWIW if fuel is low and braking starves the pump causing the bike to sputter and die, you may be able to restart and continue on OK (easy on the brakes though). Also after some bikes have run out, tipping them can make a little more fuel available.

Are you talking about your FZ6? With a fuel capacity of 5.1 gallons? How can it have such short range? Do you top it up? Is it modified in some way to give poor fuel economy?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #23
zixaq
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
One of the things I've never taken but know I should, is a siphon hose. If you're riding with someone, the one with less range can get bailed out by the other. But even riding alone, a passing motorist will be more likely to have a tank of gas than a gas can.

FWIW if fuel is low and braking starves the pump causing the bike to sputter and die, you may be able to restart and continue on OK (easy on the brakes though). Also after some bikes have run out, tipping them can make a little more fuel available.

Are you talking about your FZ6? With a fuel capacity of 5.1 gallons? How can it have such short range? Do you top it up? Is it modified in some way to give poor fuel economy?
It's 4.8 gallons, hits reserve after 4. I get just under 40 mpg when recreational riding outside the city. (People on the FZ6 forums claim to get 45, but I have no idea how.)

I do actually have a self starting siphon hose that I forgot about. Good call on that. Easier to pack than a fuel bottle, too.

I might take you up on Cody. I was planning to stop at that climbers ranch north of Jackson but free is more better. Probably June 30.

This is my updated route plan, although it's pretty flexible. I have a good place to crash in Trinidad, CA and Laramie, WY. I'd like to see Crater Lake and Yellowstone and meet some friends in Denver. Unsure where to stop between Oregon and Wyoming.

https://goo.gl/maps/aWTtgeBwvBq

Last edited by zixaq; 05-24-2018 at 06:17 AM..
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Name:
Between Crater Lake & WY you could ride Hell's Canyon OR to Lolo Pass MT, then to Yellowstone. Easy to camp around Hell's Canyon or beyond. PM me if you want a specific inobvious bivy spot suggestion in that area.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #25
cal scott
Wookie

Motorcycles: V-Strom DL650AL3
Name: Iain
Quote:
I was planning to stop at that climbers ranch north of Jackson
In case it wasn't clear from their website, for the Climber's Ranch you will want a sleeping bag and pad. The bunks are just a wooden platforms. There was a loaner stove the last time I was there but the expectation is that you would have your own stove also. Showers are included. Overall very rustic but comfortable and the views of the Tetons can't be beat
cal scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #26
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2001 H.D. Sportster(sold), 2008 650 vstrom (R.I.P.) 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Name: Mike
I would add a run up the Wind River Canyon. It's U.S. 20 between Shoshoni and Themopolis. It's about 35 miles long. Worth it if ya have the time imho.t

Last edited by H.D.30-06; 05-27-2018 at 02:55 AM..
H.D.30-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
zixaq
Veteran

I think I'm going to stop trying to plan the trip and just take off and figure it out day by day.

Since I went up Highway one last week, I'm thinking of heading to either Forks of Salmon or Quincy area for day 1. I've never actually done the road around lake berryessa, so might do that on the way out.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 AM   #28
zixaq
Veteran

For some reason the first three days of my ride report never uploaded right (and I didn't get around to posting Day 5 until just recently), but it turned out to be a pretty good trip. Kinda crashy towards the end, but still worth it.

Day 1: https://eatsleepride.com/c/286038/across_the_west_day_1
Day 2: https://eatsleepride.com/c/286151/across_the_west_day_2
Day 3: https://eatsleepride.com/c/286209/across_the_west_day_3
Day 4: https://eatsleepride.com/c/271086/across_the_west_day_4
Day 5: https://eatsleepride.com/c/285677/ac..._abrupt_ending

Last edited by zixaq; 12-14-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 11-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #29
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Name:
That knee looks gruesome. Glad you're back riding.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #30
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
Glad you healed up and back riding. Wife,I and a couple others did western US similar to your ride but opposite direction. Two weeks and thinking of doing again
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote