Old 07-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #8851
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by backup View Post
Awesome! Where did you get the bike from?!
Vendor that handles returned merchandise for businesses had it posted on eBay. It was discounted there, and eBay ran one of their 20% off coupons. Sadly they're sold out, as it was a good deal.

Hunt around. From my brief dabbling in all of this, bike folks seem to be way more concerned with "this year's" technology - stuff is expensive, and closeouts of last year's bikes and parts are significantly cheaper than anything "current".

It's kind of nuts... Bike people seem to throw money at things that makes motorcycling look extremely cheap in comparison. IMO for what is spent versus what is actually received, motorcycles represent a significantly better "deal" than anything bicycle related. For what people pay for top of the line full suspension carbon bikes, you could bring home a nice KTM 300. The market is so much larger, and people seem to be so much more willing to throw cash at products, that price vs value is ridiculously inflated.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #8852
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Name:
I've been riding trails so much lately (3-4 times per week?) that I can't even remember the last time I rode a motorcycle. We have some really fun stuff around here that's (IMO) a lot more fun than OHV riding that is available.

I'm a little torn. Tempted to either sell the DR and find a better street bike, or else just throw on the SM tires and keep it set up for street.

Didn't expect this, but I'll be damned if I'm not having a ton of fun.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #8853
backup
Rookie

Motorcycles: '13 Ape TV4
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I've been riding trails so much lately (3-4 times per week?) that I can't even remember the last time I rode a motorcycle. We have some really fun stuff around here that's (IMO) a lot more fun than OHV riding that is available.

I'm a little torn. Tempted to either sell the DR and find a better street bike, or else just throw on the SM tires and keep it set up for street.

Didn't expect this, but I'll be damned if I'm not having a ton of fun.
Can you recommend some noobie trails? I plan on renting a hardtail to see how I enjoy MTB'ing before I buy one.
backup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #8854
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Can you recommend some noobie trails? I plan on renting a hardtail to see how I enjoy MTB'ing before I buy one.
There is all sorts of spectacular riding around San Jose. Go up Stevens Canyon to Montebelo. Ride Soquel Demonstration Forest. Come over here and ride Alum Rock Park.

Blah blah blah. Find someone who will take you for a ride on what they think is cool. Hit me up if you can't find anyone.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #8855
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
I'm in North Carolina Great riding here (both motorcycles and bikes), but not so useful for giving you a recommendation.

I can say that I wasn't sure how I'd enjoy cycling. Looked slow, and a bit dull. In reality, it has been anything but. Great fun flying down narrow wooded technical trails at speed. I've also enjoyed very technical uphill sections that require a bit of trials skills to get up without putting a foot down. Different kind of challenge, but still satisfying. No regrets.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM   #8856
Sidewalk
My bikes have pedals now

Contributor

Motorcycles: All the bicycles
Name: Joshua
Quote:
It's kind of nuts... Bike people seem to throw money at things that makes motorcycling look extremely cheap in comparison. IMO for what is spent versus what is actually received, motorcycles represent a significantly better "deal" than anything bicycle related. For what people pay for top of the line full suspension carbon bikes, you could bring home a nice KTM 300. The market is so much larger, and people seem to be so much more willing to throw cash at products, that price vs value is ridiculously inflated.
Meh, it's what brings you pleasure. I am saving up for a new SWorks Epic, MSRP of of $8500. I am hoping to get a Pro deal so I will be paying significantly less. But that is what I am saving for just in case. But a motorcycle is worthless to me. I only ride a motorcycle about once a year (not in two years currently) and even then it is at a 24 hour race where I ride someone else's bike. So paying any amount of money on a KTM300 is a total waste.

But I race mountain bikes as a Pro. So, that money is well worth it to me.

Now my "fun" MTB is an entry level Enduro, I didn't pay MSRP but it is $3200 and worth it to me.

Also plan to buy a left over SWorks Venge next year, that's a $10k road bike, but we'll see what kind of discount they offer then. But I also ride about 13,000 miles a year (I have 9000 so far this year), so an expensive road bike is a luxury, but also a luxury like a BMW is to a person who drives 30,000 miles a year and doesn't want to do it in a Toyota Corolla. I did just do a 125 mile, 10k' climbing road race for fun. I was 21st out of 200 something.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1750017241
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #8857
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Name:
I understand your perspective - especially when it is your job... On a hobby level, sure - do what you love. Just seems that folks are more willing to pay for less technology with cycling stuff in general.

Speaking of hobby stuff... Took a trip to western NC this past weekend and rode around 25 miles of trails @ Dupont State Forest here in NC. Weather was great - ~70F at elevation, and no humidity. A little more fire road / forest service logging road connectors in this place than I'd like, but also some fantastic features on the trails. Not a lot of pictures of the rough stuff as I was enjoying riding it rather than photographing it.

Huge waterfall..

Some optional super narrow riverside single track, if you could even call it that.. (More like an actual goat trail.)

The views at the top of the runway...

Yep, actual (closed) runway.

Some very cool creek crossings.... A handful of these.

Typical NC trails...

Pine forests...

Mountain valley ponds...

Dinner plate sized fungus...

And a few more waterfalls...

Great way to spend a Saturday for sure. That said I'm definitely considering my options for a full suspension bike . I'm sure the frame can take it, but the fork on this hard tail wasn't meant for the sort of abuse I subjected it to on Saturday.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #8858
Cali
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: E175
Name:
Nice pics
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #8859
Cali
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: E175
Name:
Picked this up just over a week ago, love it so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190423-180211_Gallery.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	519600  
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #8860
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Name:
Good stuff! I picked up a leftover Mission last year for pennies on the dollar, and have been enjoying the heck out of it. Plus tires were nice, but full suspension definitely helps to take the sting out of things when you start pushing a bit harder.

Currently in New Mexico for the summer, and got my first ride in yesterday. Was curious how long I could go with tubes before getting a flat... (Rode for the entire last year in NC with tubes and no flats..) Well... it was about one hour before I took a cactus to my hand , and later to my front tire My cardio could also use some repairs I don't have my motorcycles out here, but the MTB is giving me the two wheel fix for sure.

I've got a Maxxis Aggressor to go on the rear, and will be grabbing a DHF to throw on the front. Will get those set up tubeless here shortly.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #8861
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
It is with a heavy heart...

Nah.
I just have this Alta electric dirtbike and I just seem to be riding it every chance I get.

Terms of Service:

Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #8862
yumdumpster
Veteran

Motorcycles: STriple, XR650R, WR450F
Name: Matt
Backside of Tam looking out over Mill Valley and Tiburon

Last edited by yumdumpster; 05-16-2019 at 11:22 AM..
yumdumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #8863
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Name:
I am riding the chairlift as I write this from Angelfire NM. Holy smokes.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #8864
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Quote:
I am riding the chairlift as I write this from Angelfire NM. Holy smokes.
This post is worthless without pics.

Nah. I await with baited breath... (and wondering about the origins of that saying)

Terms of Service: