BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
DirtyD
Lives for MotoX
 
DirtyD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sack of Tomato
Motorcycles: CBR1K, R3, KX250F, YZ250
Name:
It caught me by surprise

I really didn't see this one coming. Maybe I should have? I haven't been riding Thunderhill East much lately so maybe I was unaware that certain parts of the track have less grip than others. Maybe I just asked too much of the front tire. I definitely ran out of talent. The bike is "track only" now. A lot of damage considering that it stayed on it's side. Oh well. I walked away without a scratch.

Here's the Contour video. I had just passed a rider with a helmet cam. It would be fun to see that video too.

https://youtu.be/p7yq1pMuD2o
__________________
Ride 'til you die.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Frisco
Veteran
 
Frisco's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: El Cerrito
Motorcycles: Yammies Ď17 FZ-09 and '13 FJR
Name: Carl
Looks like you were off the racing line to make the pass. Itís probably dirty out there.

CJ
Frisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
dtrides
Veteran
 
dtrides's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Eureka,Ca.
Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
There are some small bumps around there in 3 that caught my buddy out last year.
knock on wood I haven't had any issues (other than dragging my belly pan if I am too far out side).
What kind of shape were your tires in? Pressure? Hot off the warmers?
Maybe the right side cooled off too much as most of the track is lefts?
Glad you are ok!
DT
__________________
TPF-PM
AFM 989

Last edited by dtrides; 07-14-2019 at 03:08 PM..
dtrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Kalvin00
Veteran
 
Kalvin00's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Santa Rosa
Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR, 16 Triumph Tiger 800XCA, 06SV650 Race
Name:
Ambient temp? What tires?

I notice you were on lap 2... and pretty much every right turn you were either going slowly, or stuck behind a slow bike. I don't know how hot it was, but.. cool right side of the tire?
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
295566
Five Apples
 
295566's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Danger Zone!!
Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: manhole
They mention that turn in every riders meeting, especially if ambient temps/track temps are lower, as a bike eater.

+1 on potentially cold tires, asking too much of the front tires given conditions.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
tzrider
Write Only User
 
tzrider's Avatar
 
BARF Admin
Contributor +

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
It's probably not a coincidence that the front tucked instantly when it ran over that patch.

Turn 3 gets a little more off camber the farther to the left you go, which is a contributor. It looks like the traction is probably different on the patch.

From the sound of it, you were off the gas but I can't tell whether you were on the brakes or not. Do you know?
__________________
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
thedub
Octane Socks
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Classic Turn 3, I've only seen that crash about 100 times. Even done it myself.
__________________
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.
 
clutchslip's Avatar
 
AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corkscrew-me-Carousel
Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I really didn't see this one coming. Maybe I should have? I haven't been riding Thunderhill East much lately so maybe I was unaware that certain parts of the track have less grip than others. Maybe I just asked too much of the front tire. I definitely ran out of talent. The bike is "track only" now. A lot of damage considering that it stayed on it's side. Oh well. I walked away without a scratch.

Here's the Contour video. I had just passed a rider with a helmet cam. It would be fun to see that video too.

https://youtu.be/p7yq1pMuD2o
The patch they use is like the patch at BumpyWillows and it is slippery. I am always surprised there aren't more crashes in 5 because there is patch at the top of that mini corkscrew. And if you feel it with your hand, you might be surprised how slick it is.

Next time take that outside line in three even farther outside and late apex. Aim for the outside of four and pick-up early. I learned this trick from Doug Chandler. It should get you past that patch, okay. The other problem is that you are riding a Honda instead of a Suzuki. WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Classic Turn 3, I've only seen that crash about 100 times. Even done it myself.
Really? I have seen some rear slides there. Not too many front wash outs. HOWEVER, I have not been there much since the re-patch. You would know better.
__________________
"California: France's Retarded Cousin."
clutchslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
kelsodeez
2wheels good 4wheels bad
 
kelsodeez's Avatar
 
MotoGP CRC Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: sandy eggo
Motorcycles: SV650
Name: Kelso
I really really dislike that turn. Off camber right hander after some pretty nice flowing, fast turns. I hate tip-toeing through that turn, but you gotta.
__________________
WLF
kelsodeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
afm199
Veteran
 
afm199's Avatar
 
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oaklamd
Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Sorry you crashed, Dan. Using warmers? You were only 1.5 laps into that session.

As Andy and Wiles mentioned, that's a crash seen 100 times. The only thing I can add is that the outside is super slippery and you may not have had enough heat in your tire.

Glad you didn't tumble, a lot of bikes are yard saled in that crash.
__________________
That's not true! The lie is actually the truth! I know. Lots of people know this.
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
stangmx13
not Stan
 
stangmx13's Avatar
 
Contributor
BrotoGP

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego CA
Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
you are trailing too early and unloading the front tire. u can see the front end pop back up before and/or during turn in. the takes away grip and doesnt get the tire hot hot.

more tire heat might have prevented the crash, might not. same goes with a little more tire load at that point on the track. both def would not have hurt.
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast and on Youtube
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #12
Biga
Near Miss Racing #96
 
Biga's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Motorcycles: 250 Ninja "A" R3 600 GSXR TS 185 150 Scooter 97cc D. Bug
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Looks like you were off the racing line to make the pass. Itís probably dirty out there.

CJ
And also, someone else crashed at the same spot before you...
How old is the tire?
How was the temperature that day?
How many sessions have you done until the crash?
What was the tire PSI?
Have taken that line before so far out the race line?
Click image for larger version

Name:	crash.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	522456
__________________
CMRA# 672
Biga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #13
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Bummer deal Dan...

My analyses (take it for what you will):

Your line into T3 is pretty wide and line through 3 on this lap is way low...almost to the bottom of the lower patch. That's no-man's land. Also, you're off the throttle way far into the corner which will exacerbate the bike not turning. You probably already know this, but T3 is a place you MUST be early to the throttle to run through the corner without giving up too much sped.

Here's a race's worth of my lines through T3...even passing guys, I don't go as low as where you were and if pushed that low, I'll roll out of it and stay away from that area. It's simply too hard to get the bike to turn out there, especially if off the throttle. T3 is my best corner at Thill.


youtu.be/RqfOWxRS1N4

Check this video at 7:04 for two different lines. Note the guy in no man's land...I had to sit here while they tried to run into one another. You were close to that line on entry and mid corner from what I can tell in your vid.


youtu.be/NPc1SGUd5tA

Hope to see ya out there soon Dan!
__________________
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

Last edited by Holeshot; 07-17-2019 at 12:50 AM..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #14
Biga
Near Miss Racing #96
 
Biga's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Motorcycles: 250 Ninja "A" R3 600 GSXR TS 185 150 Scooter 97cc D. Bug
Name: Rod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Bummer deal Dan...

My analyses (take it for what you will):

Your line into T3 is pretty wide and line through 3 on this lap is way low...almost to the bottom of the lower patch. That's no-man's land. Also, you're off the throttle way far into the corner which will exacerbate the bike not turning. You probably already know this, but T3 is a place you MUST be early to the throttle to run through the corner without giving up too much sped.

Here's a race's worth of my lines through T3...even passing guys, I don't go as low as where you were and if pushed that low, I'll roll out of it and stay away from that area. It's simply too hard to get the bike to turn out there, especially if off the throttle. T3 is my best corner at Thill.


youtu.be/RqfOWxRS1N4

Check this video at 7:04 for two different lines. Note the guy in no man's land...I had to sit here while they tried to run into one another. You were close to that line on entry and mid corner from what I can tell in your vid.


youtu.be/NPc1SGUd5tA

Hope to see ya out there soon Dan!
Damn that was a good ride!!! Did you won the race? I got lost when you begin to pass the slow pokers...
Another thing I would like to point out is T1 and T2 are left turns and T2 is a really long left turn which could make the right side of the tire not as hot when you first dip in to the T3 which is a right turn...
__________________
CMRA# 672
Biga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
thedub
Octane Socks
 
thedub's Avatar
 
AMA #: 2952025

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Bummer deal Dan...
Video unavailable
Watch this video on YouTube.
Playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner.

Why have you done this?
__________________
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.