Old 12-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #31
willybusta
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 1982 HUTCH XL24, 06 Suzuki DRZ400SM, 2K1 GSXR 1K
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal
putting my left foot on my passenger peg let me do standups.... i could never do them until i did that, now they are easy as hell!
i always wanted to attept it that way, but no balls. i can click up 2 & 3 rd with no clutch. it is the timing when you click up on the shifter & back off the throttle just a smidget & back on the throttle again. hope it helps. always cover your rear brake! no if's, and's or its your butts!
willybusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:28 PM   #32
crawl
Banned

Contributor

Motorcycles: yes please!
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally posted by Triple Seven
im 220 lbs. there is no way my bike will power itself up. i gotta clutch it in 1st. no other gear will even think of coming up.
2005 YZF600R WILL BRING YA UP IN FIRST

SO I CALL B.S.
crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #33
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Quote:
Originally posted by crawl

SO I CALL B.S.
He's lying everybody already knows that

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #34
Triple Seven

Motorcycles:
Name:
i must need to sit farther back then.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #35
crawl
Banned

Contributor

Quote:
i must need to sit farther back then.
that will make a big diffrence
Old 12-26-2004, 10:00 PM   #36
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

IN 1ST GEAR? HE COULD BE STANDING ON THE FRONT WHEEL AND I BET IT WOULD COME UP

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
Old 12-26-2004, 10:01 PM   #37
crawl
Banned

Contributor

yea yer right but the farther back ya are the easyer is still is.
Vote no on 8 and next they'll be telling us it's OK to marry if your brother and sister! (hey if you want to it should be your right) if you aska child molester he will tell you he was born that way. (does that make it ok?)

Garbage!!!

Iíd rather ask Forgiveness than Permission.

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:12 PM   #38
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Originally posted by JesasaurusRex
IN 1ST GEAR? HE COULD BE STANDING ON THE FRONT WHEEL AND I BET IT WOULD COME UP
NO CLUTCH NO BOUNCE

Old 12-26-2004, 10:13 PM   #39
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

sorry 4 the caps lock thing it makes me sound bigger than i really am

Old 12-27-2004, 12:10 AM   #40
Triple Seven

Motorcycles:
Name:
dude have you even riden a YZF600R?? it's not a R6. it doesnt come up as easy as you think. it's a heavy sportbike.

i will however try sitting farther back and will post some results tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #41
Triple Seven

Motorcycles:
Name:
i just HAD to try with the new balance point. voila, you were absolutely right crawl. I sit back a bit (instead of before when i was in the center) and the thing kicks up with ease. i have a new found respect for my bike.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #42
bigmattiej

Motorcycles: yamaha yzf 600r
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by crawl

SO I CALL B.S.
tehehe sweet, i have one of those. notthat i plan on doing any wheelies but yea. first bike, its so cool. thatisall.
bigmattiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #43
StreetGrime
Rookie

Motorcycles: huh?
Name:
Quote:
im 220 lbs. there is no way my bike will power itself up. i gotta clutch it in 1st. no other gear will even think of coming up.
I weigh about 220-230 .. I have a feeling I am in the same boat.

I have a Ducati 916... when I had my R1 .. the front wheel would come up just when I got on the throttle a little too hard.

This damn thing never even gets light in the front.. its like its Nailed to the cement.
StreetGrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #44
Sidewalk
My bikes have pedals now

Contributor

Motorcycles: All the bicycles
Name: Joshua
First let me say this, if you are not comfortable with the idea of doing a wheelie for any reason what-so-ever, then don't do it. A lot of that is just comfort with your riding in general. Odds are if you have the throttle and overall bike control that you need, you will feel comfortable trying to loft the wheel. It isn't an insult, just don't do what you are not comfortable doing.

I rode with some SBF guys today, and I didn't get a lot of criticism of my practicing from the experienced guy, so I am guessing I was pretty much on the right track. So, from personal experience:

-I always use the back brake for normal riding, I don't for wheelies.

-I prefer to clutch them up. Though I have gotten better at power ups, I am more comfortable using the clutch. I understand that is rare.

-Most of my failed attempts were from leaning forward. Towards the beginning I didn't notice it, but I eventually did. It still took a while to stop leaning forward. You don't lean back either, just sit comfortable.

If I can power wheelie a Buell X1, that supports the author stating that you can power wheelie any modern 600+ bike. The X1 puts down about 80 HP, and is heavy.

You are not going to go from total novice to riding stand-ups for miles on end in one day, so don't push it, just have fun.

To reiterate, the original posted intructions are for good riders who want some tips at how to wheelie. My tips are as a good rider, just learning how to wheelie.

The 1000RR is known for being a planted bike, and heavy for its class. Obviously it has more then enough power to loft the wheel at anything around 100 MPH or less (from experience), it is also known for being a crap stunt bike. I have no intention of hitting the balance point on this bike. Just having some fun (good for freeway on ramps ) and getting even more throttle control experience (you can never have enough throttle control on a liter bike).
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #45
racerx510
The Mechanic

Motorcycles: '00 600r, 02 & 05 gsxr750, 03 & 04 gsxr600, 03 636
Name:
yzf600r wheelies, yeah bro sitting far back helps, im a slimer rider so i tend to molest the tank but that way u have to bounce it which hurts your back, i sit towards the passenger seat contour and it comes up pretty cool but standing a little on your pegs and arpund 6k jus gun it with a small bounce it'll come up nice, its hard for me to do it and keep my brake covered so i bent my brake so its within reach to tap it, careful at night though bro