BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 07-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #8116
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Anyone have any tips for a sub $800 entry level bike for a short rider (5'8" 30" inseam)?

I've begun a 15 mile roundtrip work commute lately a few days a week. But it's an old ill fitting road bike that I really can't afford to take off pavement...and its 80s gearing is so damn high climbing a grade is incredibly difficult.

Id like to get out more. Don't need super awesome components but stuff that can tolerate my fat ass and as it'd be mostly East Bay Regional Park trail riding/maybe one of the sierra ski resorts this summer. No super epic singletrack huge air lol.

Only ones that catch my eye are Giant Talon 4, Trek 3700, Airborne Guardian 2.0 (not shipping until August SOLD OUT...that is probably the one I should go with) and ?????
antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #8117
ndirienzo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple. 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
I used to ride more Annadel, but it always seems a bit crowded. Great park though. Tamarancho, I usually combine with other trails on Pine Mountain, San Geronimo Ridge, and Loma Alta.

I have family in Sacramento, so Auburn is my go to spot when I'm up for the weekend. I usually park on Russell Road and do the Trifecta from there. Took my nephew down Culvert on a trail a bike - that was a hoot!

youtu.be/uzsTtqGDd3Y
Yea, my buddies and I make a point to get to Annendel around 6:30. We can normally get in a solid 25 miles before it starts getting crowded. It helps to park off Lawndale so that you're heading out of the park while everyone is heading in near the other end.

That video is so cool! Your nephew looks like he's having a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
Anyone have any tips for a sub $800 entry level bike for a short rider (5'8" 30" inseam)?

I've begun a 15 mile roundtrip work commute lately a few days a week. But it's an old ill fitting road bike that I really can't afford to take off pavement...and its 80s gearing is so damn high climbing a grade is incredibly difficult.

Id like to get out more. Don't need super awesome components but stuff that can tolerate my fat ass and as it'd be mostly East Bay Regional Park trail riding/maybe one of the sierra ski resorts this summer. No super epic singletrack huge air lol.

Only ones that catch my eye are Giant Talon 4, Trek 3700, Airborne Guardian 2.0 (not shipping until August SOLD OUT...that is probably the one I should go with) and ?????
Yea, all of those are reasonable entry-level mountain bike. They're all pretty much the same around that price point as well.

Have you looked at the Trek X-Caliber? It's in the sub 800 range, but get you some more capability than a 3700... better wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, better suspension, better everything, really. At the entry level price point spending a few hundred extra normally gets you a ton more bike.

You can also get a lot of bike by keeping an eye on craigslist. Mountain bikes depreciate like crazy. Shouldn't be hard to find a few year old $1500 bike that now sells for $700-800 used.
ndirienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #8118
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Name:
Thanks for insight. I do like the X-Caliber 8 from Trek. I'm on the lookout on CL and eBay. Considering giving up moto for better road bike to commute + all weather gear and mountain bike + gear.

Last edited by antidote; 07-03-2014 at 03:08 AM..
Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #8119
mbsv
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: bicycle(s)
Name:
this looks like a well organized classified section...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...24,25,26,28,29
mbsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #8120
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsv View Post
this looks like a well organized classified section...

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...24,25,26,28,29
pink bike is a cool resource thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #8121
ndirienzo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 XC, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple. 2007 Triumph Speed Triple (RIP)
Name:
Quote:
Thanks for insight. I do like the X-Caliber 8 from Trek. I'm on the lookout on CL and eBay. Considering giving up moto for better road bike to commute + all weather gear and mountain bike + gear.
Be wary of anything on ebay or pinkbike (especially pinkbike). For one, shipping most bikes it around $125, unless it's a really small frame. Also, there's a lot to be said for seeing the bike in person. Feel the bearings, check spoke tension, slop in the the derrailures, are the cables clean, and a ton of other stuff. I've seen people get so shafted on ebay. Not saying you can't get a good deal, just that there's more risk when you don't lay your hands on it. Also, people put their bikes up for stupid high prices on ebay.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #8122
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirienzo View Post
Be wary of anything on ebay or pinkbike (especially pinkbike). For one, shipping most bikes it around $125, unless it's a really small frame. Also, there's a lot to be said for seeing the bike in person. Feel the bearings, check spoke tension, slop in the the derrailures, are the cables clean, and a ton of other stuff. I've seen people get so shafted on ebay. Not saying you can't get a good deal, just that there's more risk when you don't lay your hands on it. Also, people put their bikes up for stupid high prices on ebay.
Im only shopping local BECAUSE of all that. ill.probably go get hosed brand new at a LBS honestly.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #8123
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Name:

Ignore the trash can lol

Picked up an entry level 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4

Went to Hayward Plunge. Realized I greatly suck at climbs right now. And got first biff out of the way. Mountain biking is awesome and I've only started the addiction. Sold my motorcycle to start funding this expensive crap...but enjoy it more than riding motorcycles personally.

Last edited by antidote; 07-07-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #8124
PushHands
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: ones that work
Name:
I'm in the similar boat with antidote. Stop riding motorcycles for the time being and really enjoying the workout of my entry level hardtail. Let me know if anyone wants to ride during the weekends - strange thing is I seem to enjoy the climbs I'm in Alameda and new to the east bay.
PushHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #8125
ndirienzo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Picked up an entry level 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4

Went to Hayward Plunge. Realized I greatly suck at climbs right now. And got first biff out of the way. Mountain biking is awesome and I've only started the addiction. Sold my motorcycle to start funding this expensive crap...but enjoy it more than riding motorcycles personally.
Nice! Great place to start. Yea, climbs hurt, but they're super rewarding. I really enjoy the more technical climbs vs. the ones that are pure fitness. Both are nice, though.

And yep, it ain't cheap. The reality is though that you don't need to buy the latest and greatest $10000 dual suspension. They're great and all, but you can get a pretty amazing bike that's 90% as nice for around $3k. The farkles add up as well... decent shoes, hydration pack, helmet, glasses, kit, etc. Still, that stuff is overall a ton cheaper than moto gear, and it doesn't really wear out.

For now, enjoy the new bike and getting your lungs/legs in shape!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #8126
kmaggy
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: SV's
Name: Kris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushHands View Post
I'm in the similar boat with antidote. Stop riding motorcycles for the time being and really enjoying the workout of my entry level hardtail. Let me know if anyone wants to ride during the weekends - strange thing is I seem to enjoy the climbs I'm in Alameda and new to the east bay.
Lets hit up Lake Chabot this Saturday morning!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #8127
TrackCage
Yellow Suit Hooligan

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda, Kawasaki
Name: Josh
Just found this...

Recently (6 mo ago) got back into the mtn bike scene myself. Also looking for some more riding buddies

2012 Kona Satori 29er
TrackCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #8128
antidote
Veteran

1% Contributor x 2

Name:
^^^ nice!

I'm free Sun Mon Tue Weds usually. And very bad MTBing.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #8129
PushHands
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: ones that work
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaggy View Post
Lets hit up Lake Chabot this Saturday morning!
Kris,

Bummer I missed you guys on yesterday's ride. Hopefully you'll do it again next weekend
PushHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #8130
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
So, went in to Concept Cycles here in Morgan Hill with my Superlight to get a tune up. They wanted $50 or $100, to basically inspect, adjust, and clean everything. However, I don't think anything really needs to be adjusted.

The kid behind the counter was new, but had no idea what he was doing. He'll figure it out. And the lady there with him was equally inexperienced. Felt like a 1-2 knockout and a very poor first time experience with a store. Seemed like family of the owners or something?

With that said, looks like I am bleeding my brakes, changing my chain (which I just bought there to support a local shop), and will clean everything up. Might call Trailhead, those guys are usually pretty legit.

Have a few questions and need some recommendations:

1. Best tires to get right now? I am running a Santa Cruz Superlight with 26" wheels.
2. Best chain tool?
3. Good brake bleed tool?
4. Suggestions on how to self serve the forks and shock?

Last edited by Ducky_Fresh; 07-14-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Ducky_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote