Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto for Sale

Notices

Old 09-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
lkosewsk
Overenthusiast

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Yes
Name: Luke
Cool Package: 1997 GSX-R750 with spare GSX-R750 and a billion spare parts for sale

Hello BARFers!

The title is misleading. Only one GSX-R remains; the spare and many parts are gone. Read on if you like bikes that run just fine.

tl; dr - pictures at https://imgur.com/gallery/wYfL2yf. $3600 for everything that's left (red bike+).

The year was 1996. It had been 10 years since the GSX-R750 had hit the US market to incredible acclaim and had rocked the sportbike world. Since then, the GSX-R had gotten bigger and heavier, turned like a brick and had started losing ground to competitors at making a 750 four-cylinder superbike. But... 1996 came around. The SRAD GSXR was born, featuring RAM air intakes, a twin-spar frame from Kevin Schwantz's RGV500 racebike, and magnesium cylinder head covers. It was lighter and faster than prior GSX-Rs, it had beautiful giant fairings for awesome aerodynamics. It had IMHO the best ever CV carbs put on a motorcycle. It had 6-pot front brake calipers and 43mm Showa forks. Such an awesome bike was hardly updated (only minor aerodynamic changes) for 1997 - and that's what's for sale here.

1997 GSX-R750.

16185 miles, current reg, clean title. Starts, runs great. Picked up in 2013 with ~8k miles on the odometer when the previous owner hadn't realized that the red part of the tach isn't where the needle should be if you like your motorcycle running. Pistons, rings, and valves replaced, nikasil bores cleaned up, new valve seats popped in and head cleaned up by a machine shop thanks to Tokyomoto in SF. Properly broken in and now at 16k miles you have possibly the highest-compression numbers-matching '97 GSX-R750 in existence. Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on exhaust (and comes with silencer insert which you will need at Laguna Seca), K&N air filter, braided steel front brake lines, Woodcraft frame sliders, Dynojet stage 1 jet kit. IMHO that jet kit is too rich so a Factory Pro CRB-S37-1.1-TI jet kit is included with the sale (but not installed). California smog equipment removed, fresh oil change. Front sprocket is down a tooth to 15 teeth for greater torque - pulls like an SV650 on speed even at lower RPMs. Fender eliminator looks great except it has no license plate mount... license plate is mounted at a right angle to normal off the axle bolt. It's "possible" that toll cameras don't pick it up. Valves adjusted at ~16k miles with help from AFM/MotoAmerica mechanic, BARFer, and all around fantastic dude Shawn Keene. Bike is mechanically amazing but keep in mind some of the rubber is still from 1997. I replaced the petcock vacuum and fuel line so the important rubber is current, but I would at the least put new tires on ASAP. Visually, the bike was dropped on the left side by an incompetent thief in San Francisco who managed to destroy the steering lock by trying to unlock the bike with a screwdriver. I replaced the ignition/steering lock, and now you have two keys to the bike (one for the steering lock/ignition, one for the seat lock and gas tank). It was also lowsided on that same side in the gravel at Laguna Seca and shows what you would expect from gravel - no hard damage, but I pulled rocks out of the left air scoop and the magneto cover is shiny.

Comes with trick Woodcraft side covers still New in Box and the passenger seat and footrests as well as some oil drain plug gaskets. $3600. For less than what I paid to undo the valve damage of prior owner, you can have that running bike and I will also throw in a Battery Tender to keep the running GSX-R going (it has a pigtail connector installed already), Suzuki factory manual and Clymer (sometimes it helps to have two sets of pictures), and I will happily deliver this stuff to your house locally in San Jose... contact me and let's talk about a price for delivery if you're a bit further away.

Pictures available at https://imgur.com/gallery/wYfL2yf. DM me if interested. 2% to BARF. Trades considered with +/- cash either way. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by lkosewsk; 10-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Pictars
lkosewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
I regret selling my 1997 gsxr 750 ratbike... like daily. hammer tough reliable bikes these are
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
somesuch
Veteran

Motorcycles: gsxr
Name:
can't help but bump it
somesuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
lkosewsk
Overenthusiast

1% Contributor

Thanks for the bumps guys!

I grabbed a few pictures of the last couple of boxes of parts that I found, including the original steering damper and what I know you all wanted... the original toolkit and manual. Yes, very important.

All the pics are available at https://imgur.com/gallery/OXsPdDo.

Took the bike for a quick jaunt to the gas station and back today and when it came back warm I cleaned and lubed the chain for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
I regret selling my 1997 gsxr 750 ratbike... like daily. hammer tough reliable bikes these are
You're not wrong; 23 years after production it fires right up and rides well. Quite a tank really, and it's big enough to look the part. I know where you can find two to buy if your nostalgia takes your common sense

Last edited by lkosewsk; 09-27-2020 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Re-added link to all of the pics
Old 09-28-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
Them things is fun.
GLWS

Mad
Old 09-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #6
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Phony
Hell of a deal for someone.

Didn't the '89 Kawi ZX7 have ram air?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zx7.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	537670  

Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
lkosewsk
Overenthusiast

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mean dad View Post

Didn't the '89 Kawi ZX7 have ram air?
Those ducts certainly look similar. I updated the post to remove any reference to 'first'. I'd forgotten all about the old ZX7s...

I was always a bit skeptical of the effect of ram air on a street-going sportbike... there is some implication that air is pressurized but how much *actual* power did it add? I would opine that the performance benefits were exaggerated at the least if not a total marketing ploy. But whether the Kawi, the Bimota SB8R or the SRAD GSXRs I think it's an amazing-looking '90s aesthetic!

Last edited by lkosewsk; 09-29-2020 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot the Bimota SB8R also used ram air-like intakes
Old 09-30-2020, 12:43 AM   #8
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Great package deal!
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Barf Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkosewsk View Post
Those ducts certainly look similar. I updated the post to remove any reference to 'first'. I'd forgotten all about the old ZX7s...

I was always a bit skeptical of the effect of ram air on a street-going sportbike... there is some implication that air is pressurized but how much *actual* power did it add? I would opine that the performance benefits were exaggerated at the least if not a total marketing ploy. But whether the Kawi, the Bimota SB8R or the SRAD GSXRs I think it's an amazing-looking '90s aesthetic!
Yeah pretty sure the first versions of 'ram air' weren't quite ramming as much air as they'd claimed or hoped.
And feel free to leave in your statement, or maybe modify it to say 'one of the first'. It reminded me of one of my favorite bikes back then and I thought I'd bust some balls.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
a little quick math i've forgotten how to do indicates that ram air doesn't do much till you're already violating most speed laws
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #11
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy

AMA #575843
Barf Roadside Angel

That is correct and was acknowledged back in the way way.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
somesuch
Veteran

Motorcycles: gsxr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkosewsk View Post

I remember doing a test between two gsxr 1000 bikes (one was 2001 and the other one was a 2002) . One bike had the ram air tubes, on the other bike the tubes were not present....from anything above 100mph the difference was *very* noticeable in a side-by-side acceleration test.

When the missing ram air was added back in, the acceleration was identical between the bikes.
somesuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
lkosewsk
Overenthusiast

1% Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somesuch View Post
I remember doing a test between two gsxr 1000 bikes (one was 2001 and the other one was a 2002) . One bike had the ram air tubes, on the other bike the tubes were not present....from anything above 100mph the difference was *very* noticeable in a side-by-side acceleration test. ...
I'm of the opinion that any test that includes the words "from anything above 100 mph" is a success, regardless of any incidental results or outcomes

This does reinforce my opinion that a street bike will not make much use of RAM air. Therefore, you, future buyer of these GSX-Rs, should definitely consider track time! It is a mighty fine track weapon - the 6 pot calipers are considered a curiosity now, but they were the bee's knees as far as '90s stopping power was concerned, and when going >100 mph is a requirement, expect just shy of 130 hp with the refreshed motor in the red missile.

In case the track isn't calling to you, I ordered a new set of front blinkers to put on it so I will soon retake pictures with a fresh and unbroken right turn stalk!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #14
ride4Lyfe

Motorcycles: 2005 HD Sportster
Name: Doug
GLWS!
ride4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
lkosewsk
Overenthusiast

1% Contributor

Thanks for the bumps! I ordered a new set of blinkers for the red bike and... stock is low, so only one came. I popped it on to replace the broken blinker and now you have a fully-ridable nothing-dangling off bike! Yes, the tires are still from 2013 so I still wouldn't hoon on it too much but feel free to try it and not attract attention from the cars with the blinky lights on top!

Price dropped another $100 to compensate you for the blinker I didn't replace. Feel free to make me an offer also... someone offered me 4 lbs of pot which might have worked under other circumstances.