BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Streetriders Rights

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #61
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

I think that is very applicable here.

If some LE agency decides to start ticketing splitters, people can fight it. The PD is going to waste time issuing tickets that aren't going to stick in court.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #62
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Just for clarification, what does that mean and where did you get it?
It means: I googled for stories about lane-splitting citations and found a ton of references to CVC 21658(a) violations. If you read the proposed bill, you'll see that it plans to revise 21658 to make lane sharing explicitly legal.
fubar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #63
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
It means: I googled for stories about lane-splitting citations and found a ton of references to CVC 21658(a) violations. If you read the proposed bill, you'll see that it plans to revise 21658 to make lane sharing explicitly legal.
So we can exchange one ticket for another. Sweet.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #64
fubar929
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBias View Post
If some LE agency decides to start ticketing splitters, people can fight it. The PD is going to waste time issuing tickets that aren't going to stick in court.
Have you ever tried to fight a speeding ticket? It's very nearly impossible, from what I've seen in court. I suspect that trying to argue against a 21658(a) violation is just as difficult... especially since nobody here has been able to explain an air-tight defense strategy.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #65
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Quote:
Have you ever tried to fight a speeding ticket? It's very nearly impossible, from what I've seen in court. I suspect that trying to argue against a 21658(a) violation is just as difficult... especially since nobody here has been able to explain an air-tight defense strategy.
Speeding is speeding. Cop clocked you at 85 in a 55. Ticket.

Unsafe lane change is a lot more defensible. Especially since lane sharing is legal in CA and very rarely ticketed. I also always ride with a camera, so I'd have that as evidence. There are also many ways to argue the cops position that it was unsafe.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #66
Human Ills
Veteran

Motorcycles: KLR, 380 exc
Name: Shaun
This will absolutely have a negative effect on moto sales. Oh well.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #67
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrorollah View Post
Exactly right. In some states anal sex is illegal because somebody decided that we need laws with specific guidelines on sex. Some on here say "well, look at me, I always have sex in missionary and for reasons of pro-creation ... it won't change a thing about MY habits, just makes everyone else fuck just like I do. I support these regulations."

Well guess what folks. WE. DONT. NEED. YOUR. LAWS. HERE.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #68
fubar929
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoastBias View Post
Unsafe lane change is a lot more defensible. Especially since lane sharing is legal in CA and very rarely ticketed. I also always ride with a camera, so I'd have that as evidence. There are also many ways to argue the cops position that it was unsafe.
Can you prove to the judge that your video footage wasn't altered or edited? Are you planning to show up in court with a large monitor so everyone can watch the footage simultaneously? Are you videotaping traffic in front of and behind you? If you can't answer 'Yes' to all of those questions, I wouldn't count on your video being allowed or carrying much weight if it is allowed.

Unfortunately, disputing the "unsafe" argument will be almost impossible. The LEO will, effectively, be testifying as an expert witness and the judge will give far more weight to his viewpoint than to yours. The LEO, if he's at all competent, will have a whole list of reasons why your maneuver should be considered unsafe. What will your defense be? "I thought it was safe"? Trust me: I've seen that "I didn't do it" defense attempted in traffic court multiple times and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe you've got something better than that in mind, though?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #69
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Quote:
Can you prove to the judge that your video footage wasn't altered or edited? Are you planning to show up in court with a large monitor so everyone can watch the footage simultaneously? Are you videotaping traffic in front of and behind you? If you can't answer 'Yes' to all of those questions, I wouldn't count on your video being allowed or carrying much weight if it is allowed.

Unfortunately, disputing the "unsafe" argument will be almost impossible. The LEO will, effectively, be testifying as an expert witness and the judge will give far more weight to his viewpoint than to yours. The LEO, if he's at all competent, will have a whole list of reasons why your maneuver should be considered unsafe. What will your defense be? "I thought it was safe"? Trust me: I've seen that "I didn't do it" defense attempted in traffic court multiple times and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe you've got something better than that in mind, though?
So you're saying there is no way to submit video footage as evidence?

I'd rather take my chances fighting a ticket for unsafe lane change while lane splitting which is legal in CA, than a speeding ticket, which is not.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #70
MrIncredible
Is fintastic

The Mountain King
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca
Name: Dave
Quote:
Again, you seem completely incapable of understanding my point.
Your point has been and still is woefully unclear.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
-the Dalai Lama
MrIncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #71
metrorollah
OWHLY?

Patch Wearing Biker
Contributor

Motorcycles: are all nice and shiny, then people bring them to SF, and bums tip them over. HA HA!
Name:
Partial response from Quick's office. Updated on post #1.

Last edited by metrorollah; 12-04-2014 at 10:55 PM..
metrorollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #72
metrorollah
OWHLY?

Patch Wearing Biker
Contributor

Motorcycles: are all nice and shiny, then people bring them to SF, and bums tip them over. HA HA!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
They didn't even give us a years break since SB350 died. I hate how they can rely on voter fatigue to slip this shit through. I wonder who's behind this legislation?
SB350 was way worse in my opinion, but less toxic than this one. AB51 actually gives specifics on how to commit lane splitting crimes.
metrorollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #73
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
need to find out what people in his office wroth this for him and are pushing him to go forward with it.where is the money coming from???
who is going to make money if this become a law???

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 AM   #74
U26A1
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Gas & Electric
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Honestly, the best strategy for us is to always fight any lane-sharing/splitting legislation no matter how benign it seems and to STFU otherwise.
Any legislation?

So if somebody were to introduce a bill that in its entirety was large capital letters that literally read "LANESPLITTING IS OK" . . . you'd be against it?

You have to keep in mind: we are in an echo chamber on this forum. All of us here know that lanesplitting is legal. 99.x% of the public does not. The vast, vast majority of my non-moto friends/family/coworkers etc that I talk to are surprised to find out that it is legal the first time I broach the subject with them.

I was ecstatic when the CHP guidelines were introduced. Actual state dollars spent on actually trying to educate car drivers on the fact that why yes, it is illegal to try to block a lanesplitting motorcyclist. Never thought I'd ever see that happen. This bill looks like it is just trying to codify those guidelines formally. This whole thing is as much about educating the non-motorcycling public as it is anything else.
U26A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #75
enki
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Looks like Darth Maul's
Name:
I support limiting to less than 35. Dont see. problem.

Last edited by enki; 12-05-2014 at 05:36 AM..
enki is offline   Reply With Quote