Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
VPREATR
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Eeny meenie miny moe
Name:
Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about Sonoma Raceway’s rental increase?

Excuse me, do you have a moment to talk about Sonoma Raceway’s rental increase?

I wanted to take this time and the eerily odd title to discuss Sonoma Raceway, specifically in that they've aggressively raised their track rental prices for 2018, either as a byproduct of contractual negations with exclusive on-property vendors or in hopes of having a cash surplus available when the politically charged bay area housing industry pursues the option of condos as opposed to a race track with untold legacies of history, I digress in that last statement as these were once mere whispers, alas, even such whispers are disheartening.

Why bring this up? First and foremost, many track day consumers will likely have noticed increased prices for motorcycle track day's at Somoma Raceway this year; the increased rental costs had a direct impact on provider pricing and based on my provider experience, these increases were not by choice nor to seek additional monies. As a result, I felt it was important to inform others, specifically those that enjoy Sonoma Raceway’s unique riding experiences.

Here's the situation, we only have a finite amount of available race tracks in California and before you exclude a provider event at Sonoma Raceway solely based on pricing, understand that as riders if we choose not to support providers that support Sonoma, we're certain to see a reduction in availability in the coming years and losing the option of Sonoma Raceway as a motorcycle track day venue is a loss we likely can't endure.

In closing, please support your track day vendors that support Sonoma Raceway.

Take care, be safe and have fun!
AFM #151 (811)/ CCS #911
VPREATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
dangerzone02
Veteran

Motorcycles: FJ-09, R6
Name:
$250 at sonoma is the same price as $160 for thunderhill + $90 hotel. Its sucks but whatevs.
dangerzone02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
I just like how your entire first paragraph is one sentence.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
ViperThreat
Veteran

Motorcycles: '06 GSXR-1000, '06 GSXR-600, '09 FZ6R
Name:
I REALLY want to support Sonoma, it's one of my favorite tracks in the bay area, but it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost.

The last Sonoma day I attended was $275 per day. I've paid less for 2 days at ThunderHill. Sure Sonoma is a bit higher caliber track, but this is an expensive hobby, and I'm on a limited budget. It's really hard for me to justify twice the price so that I can ride past empty grandstands for half the time.

More importantly, the condition of the pavement is easily the worst of any track I've been to. Given that Sears point is a world class track that hosts many televised events each year, you'd figure that they'd do a better job with upkeep.

Finally (although its a slow point) - Sonoma doesn't really offer the same amenities that other tracks do - no power hookups unless you rent a garage. And they don't turn the lights off at night, so good luck getting any sleep if you are in a tent.

I really do love Sonoma, but I'm not going to blindly throw money at them simply because the motorcycling community doesn't want to lose them.
ViperThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 15 R1 + 16 Triumph Tiger 800XCA + 06SV650 Race
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
I REALLY want to support Sonoma, it's one of my favorite tracks in the bay area, but it's getting harder and harder to justify the cost.

The last Sonoma day I attended was $275 per day. I've paid less for 2 days at ThunderHill. Sure Sonoma is a bit higher caliber track, but this is an expensive hobby, and I'm on a limited budget. It's really hard for me to justify twice the price so that I can ride past empty grandstands for half the time.

More importantly, the condition of the pavement is easily the worst of any track I've been to. Given that Sears point is a world class track that hosts many televised events each year, you'd figure that they'd do a better job with upkeep.

Finally (although its a slow point) - Sonoma doesn't really offer the same amenities that other tracks do - no power hookups unless you rent a garage. And they don't turn the lights off at night, so good luck getting any sleep if you are in a tent.

I really do love Sonoma, but I'm not going to blindly throw money at them simply because the motorcycling community doesn't want to lose them.
I do agree, it's not horrible but it has gotten worse over time. The track really needs a repave.

Last edited by Kalvin00; 02-06-2018 at 09:30 PM..
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #6
ontherearwheel
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Tracer 900 GT, FZR 400 track bike, 04 R1 track bike
Name:
It's is tough to justify the money needed for track days...it ain't cheap.

I try to think in terms of bang for my buck........the grin factor.

I do not ride on the street like I do on track days. I really like fast riding and the only place I can do that safely is the track.

So, to me, the cost of doing a track day is worth it cause I can ride as fast as I want to in a safe place, with people around in case something happens.

Track condition......not a real factor with me......still a lot better surface than a lot of street roads I ride on....like Page Mill.

I always buy my gas at the tracks and always a shirt or two......even ice.

Most on here have not seen the changes done to Sears or Thunderhill over time, especially Thunderhill. I've been to Thunderhill when it first was built by the SCCA. There was just the pits and the track. Porta Pottys were the bathroom and a converted travel trailer as the food. The pits was just the blacktop, nothing like nowdays.

The front stands at Sears was not always there, nor the nice food cafe, no garages, nor the hillside seating.

I've seen Thunderhill grow over time.......just a little FYI.....the bridge at Thunderhill going over the back straight is the same bridge the went over turn 6 at Sears.

I feel I've had a part in the growth of these tracks because I bought at the track in order to support the track and the improvements made.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
FZ1MinesRdRipper
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 09' FZ1 - 17' FZ10 Street/ Trackdays
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post

Bikes are expensive...track days are cheap when you look at what a season of racing cost. Sonoma isn't near as bumpy as Button Willow. Just figure out how to stash $2.00 per day by either giving up things like maybe a Starbucks drink or something else we waste money on. The thrill and joy you get from riding your motorcycle at your pace is priceless. $2.00 per day will get you a Laguna day, Sonoma day, T-hill and maybe a Button Willow. Track days are cheap...Pirellis are expensive on a HP4$$$
God Speed Nicky #69...we'll miss you.

09' Yamaha FZ1 (Trusty Mines Rd Mule) - Yamaha 17' FZ10 - Latest Mines Rd Ripper (Ultra Trick Build Underway) -
FZ1MinesRdRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #8
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ1MinesRdRipper View Post
Sonoma isn't near as bumpy as Button Willow.
Sonoma is just as bumpy and in all the wrong areas. Regardless, still a great track and would be a huge loss if it got to the point where it was taken off the TDP/AFM calendars.
FourThreeSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Things are more expensive in the Bay Area. This isn't new.

Last edited by Surj; 02-06-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Between additional gas cost (200 miles further roundtrip to Thunderhill vs Sonoma), hotel cost, and just the extra few hours of drive time, I have no problem justifying Sonoma over Thunderhill. My problem is justifying trackdays at all to my financial mistress...
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '09 WR250X-SM -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Being NorCal centric I get it. Sonoma Raceway needs to turn a profit. The trackday venders need to turn a profit.

Riders will choose to go or not and if numbers are low then things will change one way or another.

Really happy that this stuff still gets to happen given the litigious society we live in. So..
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Let's be honest here. NASCAR pays all of Sonoma's expenses and upkeep. Every penny and more. The trackdays are nice added juice. I love the track. I've been riding it since the days of $50 trackdays with cars and bikes on the track together.

The surface has turned to shit. The cracks coming into T9 and exiting T6 are now serious obstacles to be dealt with.

The turnworkers are new crew and they suck. I have never seen so many poorly trained workers, it's worse than the meth heads at Buttonwillow. The few older ones hold it together.

The cafeteria food is ghastly.

I like management personally, but the pricing almost certainly comes from corporate headquarters.

Yes, there is a level at which I will not pay, and that is EXACTLY what they are determining with their pricing strategy. How high can we raise track prices until people stop coming?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
Hazardous Waste
BagDragger

Motorcycles: Rain or Shine
Name: Citizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Let's be honest here. NASCAR pays all of Sonoma's expenses and upkeep. Every penny and more. The trackdays are nice added juice. I love the track. I've been riding it since the days of $50 trackdays with cars and bikes on the track together.

The surface has turned to shit. The cracks coming into T9 and exiting T6 are now serious obstacles to be dealt with.

The turnworkers are new crew and they suck. I have never seen so many poorly trained workers, it's worse than the meth heads at Buttonwillow. The few older ones hold it together.

I like management personally, but the pricing almost certainly comes from corporate headquarters.

Yes, there is a level at which I will not pay, and that is EXACTLY what they are determining with their pricing strategy. How high can we raise track prices until people stop coming?
Exactly!
Hazardous Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
ViperThreat
Veteran

Motorcycles: '06 GSXR-1000, '06 GSXR-600, '09 FZ6R
Name:
Quote:

No other track in California has as many televised high-caliber events as Sonoma. It's not just NASCAR, they also have NHRA Drag Racing, and IndyCar.

What's more, they also have Wednesday night Drags, drift park, go-cart track, virtual simulator, etc.

If Sonoma is struggling financially, they are doing something VERY wrong.
ViperThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
northwood
Rookie

AMA #3281914

Motorcycles: 07 Honda CBR1000RR; 06 Honda VFR800; 15 Honda GROM!
Name: Chris
Quote:

This and the pavement. The last two times I have been to Sonoma they are a shit show. They did not have enough turnworkers and the one leading the show was an idiot. They shut down the track for mundane reasons that would not typically happen. It was weird and frustrating.

The pavement is mediocre at best. The line through the carousel is hideous. I have one friend that crashed because of it.

Just my two cents.

Otherwise, nice track.
2015 Honda GROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!
northwood is offline   Reply With Quote