Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Sur Ron Electric Dirtbike

So I've always wanted an electric dirtbike but they're so much $$$$. The Alta sit's over $10k and the Zero FX is about $10k. The size of the Alta is a bit intimidating also it's a pretty tall bike. Then I saw one of these a Sur Ron. It's a Chinese Electric Dirt Bike. It's kind of a hybrid of a mountain bike and a dirtbike motorcycle. It has a top speed of 50MPH and a range of about about 50 miles. Removeable 2kwh Panasonic battery pack. Weights about 100 lbs. So it's specs would put it around a mini bike like my KLX140L. They also sell a pedal kit for it so you can kinda "pretend" it's a 100lb mountain bike and ride it around the street. Which I guess is fine if you keep it under 25MPH in the bikelanes. It's like an electric bike on crack. There is a sport and eco modes also, so if your going to ride around the city just put it in eco mode to limit it's power and stay under the radar.

Currently in the US a company called Luna Cycles in Socal is importing them and they have a new model the X Moto. There's even a supermoto wheel kit coming out for it later. One thing is they don't have titles. I have heard you can Register it as an OHV and get a green sticker for it. You just need to show the DMV your receipt. Then you can blaze around your favorite motorcycle park zero emissions. I'm not sure if you can make it street legal, you'd have to add mirrors and lights and stuff. They're selling them for about $4k and after taxes and shipping it winds up somewhere in the $4500 range. If it was just a little bit cheaper like by $1k I'd snatch one up because for 4.5k I could probably get a used dual sport or dirtbike. It probably so compact and light I could just throw it into my van and not worry about fuel spilling everywhere.

youtu.be/JtvzGqEHAdA

youtu.be/lLR2b5Ed3dw

youtu.be/vyf_g8VZE40

youtu.be/Lw1mLYKVxaY

youtu.be/UIACF2i8o-M

Last edited by HadesOmega; 12-06-2018 at 03:39 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
someone pitted next to me at Moto Bay Classic had one, and enjoyed it.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
There are several choices in the HD MTB ebike category. Head over to Endless Sphere and you can read about people's builds for days. Qulbix(cool bikes) is one of my favorites for the mx seat, but they all look fun..
http://www.vectorebike.com/
https://qulbix.com/
https://www.electricbike.com/phasor/
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/2017-hpc-typhoon/
https://www.stealthelectricbikes.com/model-range/
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 AM   #4
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
And that's the exactly sort of bullshit people are worried about with respect to "E-Bike" usage on mountain bike trails... Trail damage and loss of land access is inevitable.

As a super lightweight motorcycle? That's very cool, and no doubt we're going to start to see more of this weird hybrid between mountain bikes and off road motorcycles. I'd love to have an ultra-light 100-150lb trials-esque bike for off road riding. That said, it should only be OHV for sure - the pedals are complete bullshit, and exist only to make an attempt to skirt through a legal loophole.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

I think it's about having responsible operators. It's really cool when every can get along on a trail. Like when I rode the slickrock trail there were everyone allowed on the trails, hikers, motorcycles, jeeps, side by sides, mountain bikes. But there has to be rules and regulations for that to work. I don't see any problem using Ebike on a trail so long as they're aware they need to share the trail and to keep the speeds down. But yeah there's really no way to enforce it really.

Like all that electric scooter craze going on right now. I think the electric scooters are great and they should work out but there are those irresponsible operators that ride on the sidewalks too fast, ride against traffic, don't park them right, etc... Now they are talks about regulating them in the city.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Cornfish
Veteran

AMA #3288739
3% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2016 KTM 250 XC-F
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
I think it's about having responsible operators.
No such thing, especially with the size of the riding population in the Bay Area.

Quote:
It's really cool when every can get along on a trail. Like when I rode the slickrock trail there were everyone allowed on the trails, hikers, motorcycles, jeeps, side by sides, mountain bikes.
Sand and slickrock are very different surfaces than dirt that gets rained on for significant parts of the year.

Quote:
Now they are talks about regulating them in the city.
Land managers having been using STRAVA to dole out tickets, focus enforcement efforts and change access for years already. The cycling community and the software developers have been hideously poor at policing their own. Everyone wants to post up their ride and share their route with all their friends on social media. The bike in this thread is totally rad, but as soon as something like this hits the trails in the Bay Area you can bet that MidPen and all of the other land managers will shit their pants and start a massive campaign that will affect every cyclist, e-biker or not. Cycling access in the Bay Area, considering all the public land and open space, is hands down the worst of any populated area on the West Coast. Portland, a cycling Mecca by comparison, is losing access and they aren't even dealing with an e-bike craze on the trails being shut down. Things will get worse, sooner than later.
Cornfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Some Sur Ron trials action

youtu.be/https://youtu.be/FlRO7GA70Zg