BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #31
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2001 H.D. Sportster(sold), 2008 650 vstrom (R.I.P.) 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
Sounds just like when I hit a dog. Have your MC insurance deal with their homeowners insurance. Heal up soon!
Thats the course of action I'm taking for every cent this going to cost. Again thanks everyone for the well wishes ,advice ,and analysis about this incident as I've learned a few things.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #32
yzsofst
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda 919, Yamaha YZF600r, Yamaha FZ1
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D.30-06 View Post
This wasn't a residential area. This was out in the Sacramento River Delta. Out on Ryer island road to be exact. That area is farmland. This particular house just hsppened to be fairly close to the road and it was the only house around for a few miles.
160 is a fantastic ride. Sorry about the get-off. I'll take bruised over busted any day. Hopefully their ins. gives you a fair price on the bike and all the gear. Be sure to add everything up. Was your phone scratched too? Take the cash and sit on it. Look for another hobby for a while. Go fishing. Relax. If the itch comes back, so be it.

yzsofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #33
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Wow Mike! Glad it was an in and out of the hospital.
When it comes to animals there is never a predictable course of action. I would have done the same thing as you with a dog, slowed and accelerated.
The positive thing is that the owner's are accountable.
Hope the dog survives.
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #34
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2001 H.D. Sportster(sold), 2008 650 vstrom (R.I.P.) 2011 Kawasaki Versys 650
My insurance company ,Gieco, just told me that they cannot go after the responsible parties insurance for medical costs. WTF are we paying for insurance for if the pricks won't do their jobs. I'm not paying a f_______g cent for any of this.

Last edited by H.D.30-06; 01-14-2019 at 02:14 PM..
H.D.30-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #35
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Quote:
My insurance company ,Gieco, just told me that they cannot go after the responsible parties insurance for medical costs. WTF are we paying for insurance for if the pricks won't do their jobs. I'm not paying a f_______g cent for any of this.
Did you have a MedPay policy? I think UI and Um only apply to motor vehicles. Did you get their homeowners info?
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #36
H.D.30-06
Veteran

Roadside Angel

I wasn't thinking about the homeowners info at the time of the accident I was thinking about the pain I was in. Their name address and phone are on the accident report which I will be faxing to my insurance tomorrow. I'm not paying a damned cent for this.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #37
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Which insurance, their auto insurance? Of course not, because their motor vehicle wasn't involved. Home/renters insurance might be another story, though. Do you have full coverage for your bike? If so, your insurance should be covering you, and pursuing the other party for reimbursement on their own, whether that's through their home/renters insurance, or other litigation.

If you don't have full insurance though, that will be on you to file a claim with their homeowners/renters insurance. You didn't pay for the coverage, so they're not going to bother protecting you.

Last edited by 295566; 01-15-2019 at 12:35 PM..
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 AM   #38
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Wow Sorry to hear about your off, heal up, and from the sound of it, Lawyer up.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #39
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
My general rule is that I slow right down whenever I see any animals anywhere near the road. Sometimes it's hard to identify a flock of turkeys, for example, and deer blend in well too in some areas.

South of where I live now is "open range" where there can be cattle near the road. Speed limit is 55 there, but feels better at about 90. The last two times I was out that way there was a cow about 20 feet off of the highway. They're not going to run out and chase you, but it's still a reason to be extra watchful and get back to a more reasonable speed. Fortunately cows don't chase bikes like dogs do.

Heal up and wait a good week before making a decision about riding. I can remember hitting the pavement in 1986 and not wanting to even look at a motorcycle for a few days. I got over it, fixed the bike and kept on riding. After the last wreck I had in 2003 I was looking for a new bike before I even had the cast off of my hand.
Cows can and will run onto the road right in front of you. Cows do not chase motorcycles as you said, they run out in front of them and stop, turning to look at you. As cows seem slow (they are not) people tend to disregard the threat. Same thing as hitting a concrete wall.

Open range, they'll make you pay for the cow too because hitting one is seen as the driver'srider's fault. Idaho right?

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/what...d47ddf373.html

OP, good you are ok but you could just as easily been a RIP post, seriously think about going after the pet owners, they are negligent people and unlikely to change their ways until someone makes them pay for it.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #40
MX500
Pooter

Motorcycles: 02 Bandit 1200S K6 GSXR1000
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Ok so im home jacked up on painkillers. Docs found nothing other than deep bruises. Nothing broken, dislocated, spine, neck or concussion.

Onto analysis. Hindsight is 20/20. Probably should have slowed much more than I did. I was going about 60 when I saw the dogs then slowed to i think about 30-40. I was going to speed back up. My intention was to throw the dogs off and confuse them. I've used this tactic in the past and have always been successful. I got past the first dog but not the 2nd. I think if I had slowed a lot more I could have gone around them or they would have gotten off the road. I don't think this is the first time these dogs have chased vehicles.

That said my last 3 get off's have resulted in at least some hospital time. My emotions are still running high right now but I'm thinking it's time to hang it up. I didn't even give a shit about my bike this time and I still don't. I saw the inside of ambulance this time.

Going 60 in front of a home and you hit or possibly killed a dog? Ride safer. Good thing you didn't hit a negligent kid.
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650

Last edited by MX500; 01-21-2019 at 07:42 PM..
MX500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #41
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX500 View Post
Going 60 in front of a home and you hit or possibly killed a dog? Ride safer. Good thing you didn't hit a negligent kid.
there are a few homes in rural areas.

if you're in a rural area, and pass a home, do you slow down?

RTFT before making a dumb comment.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #42
yzsofst
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda 919, Yamaha YZF600r, Yamaha FZ1
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX500 View Post
Hwy 84 and 160 are both 55mph through there. 5 over the limit hardly puts OP in a poor light. Parents of children and owners of pets should be responsible enough to keep them out of the street.

My guess, a ranch dog that is outside all day 100% off-leash. Bound to get hit by something eventually. Owners are lucky OP wasn't driving a dump truck.

yzsofst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #43
MX500
Pooter

Motorcycles: 02 Bandit 1200S K6 GSXR1000
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
there are a few homes in rural areas.

if you're in a rural area, and pass a home, do you slow down?

RTFT before making a dumb comment.
Telling someone who admitted to having a trend of bad crashes to ride safer is hardly dumb. Insensitive, maybe? It was said with care. I used to ride poorly at times too, that is until I was intentionally hit while lane splitting. Some people learn, others die or become crippled.

I grew up in a rural area, I don't speed, drive, or ride poorly in front of other peoples homes. Behaving like that and hitting dogs around my home wouldn't get you any assistance. That's the nicest way I can put it. I have the bs tolerance of a grumpy old man.

On the other side of things, I also had ranch dogs that were allowed outside. I'd never let them off the property and wouldn't allow the neighbors dogs to wander either. Both sides of this collision were avoidable.
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650

Last edited by MX500; 01-22-2019 at 06:36 PM..
MX500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
you never go 5 over in front of peoples homes? sure
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #45
bluegixxer600
Rookie

Motorcycles: 01 GSXR 600,86VFR750
Name: brian
My son hit a mastiff on his Ninja 250 a few years ago on a one lane rd going about 25mph. CHP was on scene, a report was made and insurance was exchanged. When the dog owner's insurance contacted the dog owner, he denied that it was his dog. Then I was told I was out of luck. I pointed out that the CHP report had a statement from the homeowner admitting it was his dog. They replied by saying " Just because that's what it on the report, doesn't mean it happened" We got a lawyer and after a few months of battling, the insurance wanted to go to a trial. The lawyer then said it wasn't worth their time to go after a $3800 medical bill. I'm thinking the medical bill got paid behind the scenes or written off because I have not seen another bill since then. Moral of the story- Have full coverage and med pay if possible. Sucks that you have to deal with it, best of luck.
bluegixxer600 is offline   Reply With Quote