BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #31
Tigre13
Now w/ 33% more "stripe"!

Resident Tiger
Contributor

Motorcycles: '12 1199RS, '12 1198GRS (retired), '00 M944s (original TigerBike)
Name: Steve
If I buy an out of state bike with or without a title, will I need to pay excise tax in order to go through this process?
AFM #13
Special Thanks:
Boulder Motor Sports
Tigre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #32
rumblephish
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 black/silver Hayabusa, set up to rail
Name:
I PNO two vehicles. My Jeep and my Busa.

I only paid the one time fee for planned non-op and each year recieve a statement that says if nothing has changed there is nothing due. I can transport both via trailer, accordign to the local CHP office.

So my question is, why is there even a need to do it any other way?
rumblephish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #33
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
because the non op means that it is supposed to be sitting. California law requires it be permiited/ registered to be used or transported on a public road/ hiway.
You can leave the non op on the street reg and still get the transport permit. This was you can rereg it for street duty any time you want.

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #34
deathbug74
owns 99

Contributor +++++++

Motorcycles: ex500 (mine), ex250 (hers), gs500f (project)
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by rumblephish

I only paid the one time fee for planned non-op and each year recieve a statement that says if nothing has changed there is nothing due.
+1

i have a junker motorbike on PNO; same thing every year; "no changes, no fee to stay PNO"
Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #35
duh_ave
Veteran

Name:
right, and its parked on a "permanent" kinds basis right?
throw it in your truck and if you get stopped and it gets checked, it may lose if PNO status
that why we have to get "moving permits" and transport permits

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #36
rumblephish
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 black/silver Hayabusa, set up to rail
Name:
hmmm, not that I'm arguing with you but the CHP office here in Modesto (Salida actually) told me I could trailer it to the track no problem.
rumblephish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:35 PM   #37
kirkmoon
Rookie

Motorcycles: '05 GS1200, '05 GSXR 1000,'07 990 Super Duke, '70 Bonneville
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by rumblephish
hmmm, not that I'm arguing with you but the CHP office here in Modesto (Salida actually) told me I could trailer it to the track no problem.
From what I have read, it is technically not legal to transport a PNO vehicle on a public road, even if it is in the back of a truck or trailer, but I have heard quotes from LEOs that they would never cite anyone for this and that as long as the PNO vehicle isn't being operated on or parked on public roads, they are OK with it.

I sold the bike that I got the transport permit for and currently own two race bikes that are PNOed only. No transport permits. I never drive them or park them on public roads and take them to the track in the back of my pickup. I am not worried about being cited. YMMV.
kirkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 PM   #38
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name:
Howdy all. So I just bought Kirk's SV racebike. And while the info here is quite informative, I still have a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you might have an answer for. Here's the deal: The SV is a 2005 model, converted to full race, with a current title. I believe Kirk had it PNO'd, and transport stickered.

So he signed the title over to me, and filled out the release of liability form for himself that he will send in to the DMV - it has my name and address on it.

So given the above, if I do not plan on converting back to a street bike, do I still need to go through Title transfer; and registration? That will end up costing me some bucks that would be nice to avoid (tires, race fees, etc are better use of that money, imho...).

Thanks for any info.
-Tom
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #39
duh_ave
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by dirty_t

So given the above, if I do not plan on converting back to a street bike, do I still need to go through Title transfer; and registration? That will end up costing me some bucks that would be nice to avoid (tires, race fees, etc are better use of that money, imho...).

Thanks for any info.
-Tom

yes, you are supposed to do this.
No one will come looking for you if you dont, except for the seller maybe, but it can have other ramifications down the road.

You dont have to register it, just continue the non op, or switch to a "title only" and tell them its a race bike.
The transport permit expired on sale, so get another of those if you wish. They're pretty cheap.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #40
czarb
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2003 GSX1300R Hayabusa LE (Heroin Orange), 2007 GSX-R1000K7 (Blue and White)
Name:
Ok, a wierd addition: If I buy a bike that is registered out of state with less than 7500 miles that isn't California emmissions ready, and I get the title only, PNO, and transportation permit? What would the ramifications be if I wanted to back-covert the same bike to a street bike later if I originally brought it into Cali with less than the 7500 miles, even if I later exceeded the 7500 mile threshold?

I'm assuming that sales tax would also be collected at the same time...
czarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #41
ALANRIDER7
MeowMeowMeow

Contributor

Motorcycles: GSXR
Name:
Something odd I just came across- if you buy a used streetbike and want to turn it into a racebike and non-op it, the registration still being active means you have to have liability insurance on it until the registration is up for renewal........then you can non-op it. They're telling me that you can't non-op a bike when you transfer the title into your name. This seems to be quite unfair, especially because the bike won't be ridden on the street. Yet Sacramento automatically thinks it's going to be ridden on the streets regardless as long as the registration is valid. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this with DMV but that's like trying to piss up a rope.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #42
duh_ave
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by ALANRIDER7
Something odd I just came across- if you buy a used streetbike and want to turn it into a racebike and non-op it, the registration still being active means you have to have liability insurance on it until the registration is up for renewal........then you can non-op it. They're telling me that you can't non-op a bike when you transfer the title into your name. This seems to be quite unfair, especially because the bike won't be ridden on the street. Yet Sacramento automatically thinks it's going to be ridden on the streets regardless as long as the registration is valid. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this with DMV but that's like trying to piss up a rope.
what if you offer to surrender the reg tag?
(not the plate, just the valid sticker)

Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #43
ALANRIDER7
MeowMeowMeow

Contributor

Motorcycles: GSXR
Name:
I went to DMV today and they said I could just blow it off and non-op it when it comes up for renewal.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #44
Tank34
Veteran

Motorcycles: Starbucks Race Replica
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumracing View Post
Got two words for ya'll: "enclosed trailer".
+1.1 Enclosed trailer. Unless you're smoking reefer, and your .45 is showing, there won't be a cavity search.
Tank34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #45
myap
is back in black.

Contributor

Motorcycles: Kwak
Name: Mike
New links on the DMV site to the relevant codes:

Vehicle Code 38088

Vehicle Code 38232

Vehicle Code 38225

"Hating is just an easy way to divert attention away from your own shortcomings." --Rob Gonzales

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Ignore list is bliss.
myap is offline   Reply With Quote