BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #61
ucb
Go Beers!
 
ucb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SJ
Motorcycles: Lexi
Name: kyle
So I picked up an out of state R6 (2007, 20k miles). I want to get a CA title and non-op it, but this requires a DMV inspection correct? Will it pass the inspection without lights/mirrors/etc?
ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #62
Spec-ECU
required protocol
 
Spec-ECU's Avatar
 
SBK Slut / AMA #3287659
Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2014
Contributor ++ 1%
BrotoGP

Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Lorenzo
Motorcycles: 66 Suzuki K15 . 07 Triumph Speed Triple . 09 Yamaha R1 . 05 MV Agusta F4
Name: Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
So I picked up an out of state R6 (2007, 20k miles).
Welcome to a world of precision.
__________________
BrotoGP Podcast
Road racing talk.
By BARFers, for BARF.


RiderzBlog | Z≤ Track Days
Spec-ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #63
ucb
Go Beers!
 
ucb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SJ
Motorcycles: Lexi
Name: kyle
Yep..I can tell just sitting in the cockbit its quite a bit more refined and precise
ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #64
Gabester
Veteran
 
Gabester's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR
Name: Gabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
So I picked up an out of state R6 (2007, 20k miles). I want to get a CA title and non-op it, but this requires a DMV inspection correct? Will it pass the inspection without lights/mirrors/etc?
I don't think it will.... not op doesn't mean it is not DOT.....I may be wrong but I would put mirrors and what not......
__________________
EX AFM #420
Gabester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #65
ucb
Go Beers!
 
ucb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SJ
Motorcycles: Lexi
Name: kyle
I don't have any :|
ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #66
duh_ave
Veteran
 
duh_ave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Capitola
Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucb View Post
So I picked up an out of state R6 (2007, 20k miles). I want to get a CA title and non-op it, but this requires a DMV inspection correct? Will it pass the inspection without lights/mirrors/etc?
you'll need paper work from it home state. if you want a race title, its no problem. if you want to put it on the street, it may be.
__________________
quote:Originally posted by MLohmeyer

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.


"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #67
ucb
Go Beers!
 
ucb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SJ
Motorcycles: Lexi
Name: kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_ave View Post
you'll need paper work from it home state. if you want a race title, its no problem. if you want to put it on the street, it may be.
I have the AZ clean title?
ucb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #68
gpg
PAISAN
 
gpg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: out of your range
Motorcycles: CBR1000RR, a 600 yamy 2sport,a 1Fiddy,a 69ct90 & ah Fiddy
Name: GAZZA
Has anyone here ever had a problem because your track bike was not registered?
__________________
The "SQUIDLURE"
---AFM#672.---

Mutha Teresa's 929 is my old bike!
gpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #69
DucatiHoney
Ride only user
 
DucatiHoney's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oakland
Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpg View Post
Has anyone here ever had a problem because your track bike was not registered?
What's your definition of "a problem"?
__________________


9
s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 PM   #70
gpg
PAISAN
 
gpg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: out of your range
Motorcycles: CBR1000RR, a 600 yamy 2sport,a 1Fiddy,a 69ct90 & ah Fiddy
Name: GAZZA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiHoney View Post
What's your definition of "a problem"?
Any kind of problem, because the bike isn't registered with the DMV.

...DMV doesn't know I have a race bike.
__________________
The "SQUIDLURE"
---AFM#672.---

Mutha Teresa's 929 is my old bike!
gpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #71
Holeshot
Super Moderator
 
Holeshot's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I've heard (from RRW) that there are times officers will require it when pulling vehicles over. One friend down here mentioned it happened to him, but that it wasn't a big issue when he didn't have registration as it was a track bike...so who knows.

Good to meet ya Gary, BTW!
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #72
gpg
PAISAN
 
gpg's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: out of your range
Motorcycles: CBR1000RR, a 600 yamy 2sport,a 1Fiddy,a 69ct90 & ah Fiddy
Name: GAZZA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
I've heard (from RRW) that there are times officers will require it when pulling vehicles over. One friend down here mentioned it happened to him, but that it wasn't a big issue when he didn't have registration as it was a track bike...so who knows.

Good to meet ya Gary, BTW!
Yea, I figure it'll be ok as long as I transport the bike inside the toy hauler.
I better stop test riding it on the street around my shop though.

Good to meet you 2 Berto.
__________________
The "SQUIDLURE"
---AFM#672.---

Mutha Teresa's 929 is my old bike!
gpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #73
@thetrack
Newbie
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: 08 ZX10R Street/ 02 SV650 track
Name: Clint
So I just got a trackbike that the previous owner did not register or change the title over. Can I just change the title over to my name without paying any backfees? Can I get a race title, or title only? And then request the Transportation permit?
@thetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #74
duh_ave
Veteran
 
duh_ave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Capitola
Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @thetrack View Post
So I just got a trackbike that the previous owner did not register or change the title over. Can I just change the title over to my name without paying any backfees? Can I get a race title, or title only? And then request the Transportation permit?
the DMV will want any/ all back fees. you might be able to get registration penalties and fees waived if you fill out a "statement of facts" and declare it wasnt used or transported on public hiways/ roadways etc.
We're trying this with a bike right now...
any back taxes, transfers fees etc, will have to be paid.
__________________
quote:Originally posted by MLohmeyer

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.


"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #75
2shott
speed racer
 
2shott's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairfax@the base of Fairfax-Bolinas Rd./Infineon West
Motorcycles: 2003 Kawasaki 636 racebike SOLD, 1996 Ninja 250 racebike SOLD, 1998 Honda CBR600F3 SOLD
Name: Lenny
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_ave View Post
the DMV will want any/ all back fees. you might be able to get registration penalties and fees waived if you fill out a "statement of facts" and declare it wasnt used or transported on public hiways/ roadways etc.
We're trying this with a bike right now...
any back taxes, transfers fees etc, will have to be paid.
the only way i've known to "get around back fees, etc" is to sign over title to friend at salvage yard, bike goes to salve title, then to you reg as new/salvaged bike. It will have to get a brake/light inspection and vehicle verification (maybe) but if you're like me, and are looking at around $600 in past reg fees on a bike that was free, you will always be looking for the cheap way out..... salvaged title is OK with me
__________________
Have you ever sold something and then wanted it back before it ever left your hands? Or in some cases, after you sold something, you actually paid more for it just to get it back! The memories of a bike that you rode to a championship and the memories that you gather along the way, never go with the sale; if you have taken care of your bike like you should have, then chances are, it's providing another rider with even more glory so the circle continues.-Mike Rydman (ed. for space)
2shott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.