Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
We have two oldies here, me racing my Norton at Sears Point, circa 1989 or so, and my Grandma Verna, and Aunt Blanche on Uncle Penny's Indian. He bought it after coming home from WWI.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...4&postcount=36
Style
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #47
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Here are my maternal grand parents when they were dating, on his 190? Yale. I can still hear her cackling with laughter describing how they would ride from Alameda to Santa Cruz over the then-unpaved roads. She would have to get off at the bottom of each valley and walk to the top of the next ridge, where she would get back on and ride to the bottom of the next, etc. I remember them so fondly, great people.

1969, me next to my '68 Honda CB350 twin which I put 25K miles on including multiple trips to Mexico.

Me on the Davis Honda CB350 twin during an AFM 250 mile endurance race at the old Vacaville track in the 1970s, can't remember the exact year. The shop bought the bike from the insurance company as a totaled wreck. I rebuilt it with Yoshimura cam and pistons and we won third overall/first in class in a field that included Triumph Tridents, Kawi Mach IIIs etc. Good times!

-Bill

Last edited by GB500guy; 11-29-2018 at 05:57 PM..
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #48
OldGuy
Been there, done that

Motorcycles: Blue one and red one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB500guy View Post
1969, me next to my '68 Honda CB350 twin which I put 25K miles on including multiple trips to Mexico.

Me on the Davis Honda CB350 twin during an AFM 250 mile endurance race at the old Vacaville track in the 1970s, can't remember the exact year. The shop bought the bike from the insurance company as a totaled wreck. I rebuilt it with Yoshimura cam and pistons and we won third overall/first in class in a field that included Triumph Tridents, Kawi Mach IIIs etc. Good times!

-Bill
Two things that got my attention:

- 25K miles on a CB350 (a LOT back in the day.) Any rebuilds?

- The bluing on the header pipe of the race bike near the collector. Never seen one get that hot that far down, and I had one 350 (among many) that made a whole lot of power before it let go. Are those the factory double-wall pipes? If so, even more amazing.
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:44 AM   #49
GB500guy
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 1975 Honda CB125S 1989 Honda GB500 1989 Honda NX250 1989 Honda CB-1 1997 Honda CB50V
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Two things that got my attention:

- 25K miles on a CB350 (a LOT back in the day.) Any rebuilds?

- The bluing on the header pipe of the race bike near the collector. Never seen one get that hot that far down, and I had one 350 (among many) that made a whole lot of power before it let go. Are those the factory double-wall pipes? If so, even more amazing.
One cylinder rebore, but that was only because of a self inflicted piston seizure - I had drained the oil the night before, then totally spaced out next morning and headed to work at the Honda shop, only realizing I had forgotten to add the new oil as the engine seized. But otherwise at 25K the crank, cams and valves were all original and the engine was still running strong when I sold it.

Those were the factory double wall header pipes on the race bike, but the extreme bluing is right where the inner pipe ends. Note how much even the mufflers themselves discolored. The bluing all happened during the 250 mile endurance race which was always held on July 4th where it's often 100 degrees or more in Vacaville. But the bike continued to race competitively for quite a few years after that with no breakdowns. Really a solid engine.

-Bill

Last edited by GB500guy; 11-30-2018 at 07:47 AM..
GB500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
OldGuy
Been there, done that

Motorcycles: Blue one and red one
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB500guy View Post

One cylinder rebore, but that was only because of a self inflicted piston seizure - I had drained the oil the night before, then totally spaced out next morning and headed to work at the Honda shop, only realizing I had forgotten to add the new oil as the engine seized. But otherwise at 25K the crank, cams and valves were all original and the engine was still running strong when I sold it.

Those were the factory double wall header pipes on the race bike, but the extreme bluing is right where the inner pipe ends. Note how much even the mufflers themselves discolored. The bluing all happened during the 250 mile endurance race which was always held on July 4th where it's often 100 degrees or more in Vacaville. But the bike continued to race competitively for quite a few years after that with no breakdowns. Really a solid engine.

-Bill
Oh, man... I can relate to the "no oil" story. About 15 years ago, had a pristine CT70H-K1, red, ~320 original miles. Damn near perfect. Drained the oil, and, even though I have a bunch of the yellow Honda "No oil" tags, I didn't put one on the bike for whatever reason. Went to ride it for a couple of miles the following weekend - always rode it enough to get the oil hot - and it started slowing down after a mile. Let off the throttle, and it stuck.

I was sure the plain-bearing head would be toast. Pulled it apart, and the head was perfect, which I couldn't believe. Cylinder wasn't, though, so bored it, put an S-12 piston in it, and buttoned it back up. Aside from the green edge of the new head gasket, you'd never know it had been apart.

Yeah, I noticed the discoloration on the 350 muffler. I can honestly say I've never gotten one of mine that hot, but I also haven't entered any of 'em in an endurance race in three-digit heat The last one I had was a beautiful, stock, 5K-mile K3, in green. Sold it to the guy who runs the CJMC almost 20 years ago... believe he still has it. I've had dozens of different Hondas over the past 40+ years, but always had a soft spot for the 350 twins; have had pretty much every iteration except for an SL-K0.

Last edited by OldGuy; 12-01-2018 at 08:36 PM..
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #51
Tom Liberatore
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha R3 "Kimmie" 300 Kymco Quad
Name: Pepperoni
1974 departing the finger lakes region of upstate NY on a 10,000 mile, 10 week, journey through 25 states looking for a better place to live. Cost: $600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	515538  
Tom Liberatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #52
plaid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
Name: Barking
Gentlepersons, all of the commentary, photographs, and stories are priceless; and I use exclamation points sparingly! afm199, if I'm not mistaken, you are smiling in the picture. Great stuff.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #53
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
me while enjoying some much deserved liberty while home ported in japan.
1989, Yokohama. Parking on sidewalks is completely legal there, or used to be
Attached Files
File Type: pdf yokohama.pdf (174.4 KB, 25 views)
89fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #54
Tom Liberatore
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2016 Yamaha R3 "Kimmie" 300 Kymco Quad
Name: Pepperoni
A few minutes after this photo was taken, the center spun out of my brand new 1981 BMW R65 w/800 miles' clutch. This was when BMW was shifting its dealers around and we had to truck the bike to Medford for repairs which took a week. I camped in the backyard of a member of BMW Anonymous [with four daughters!] and we were able to make the Ferry to Prince Rupert in time but we had to hustle. That bike stranded me over 100 miles from home twice, but I still managed to put 26K on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1981 Canada Trip.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	516064  
Tom Liberatore is offline   Reply With Quote