BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #16
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FZ09
Name: Pete
I'm on vacation this week. Anyone wants to play tomorrow afternoon or Friday, shoot me a PM.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
NorCalAthlete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Teddy
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '08 DRZ400SM, '01 YZ250F
Name:
I just drank the kool-aid........bought some new gen irons that absolutely bomb it....so now I'm selling some of my old sticks. I'll probably post them up in the classifieds over the next couple days, but if anyone is looking for some sticks I'm selling:

3-PW Titleist 755 Forged Irons, stiff
3-PW Titleist 690mb Blades, I have a 690cb 3&4 iron that I'll toss in for a BARFER cause the 690mb 3&4 are a bitch to hit well.
Callaway FT5 9deg driver with a stiff Fujikawa shaft
Oddyssey 2Ball White Metal putter. The White Metal face is BUTTER!! I jsut have a 1/2 dozen putters.....haha.

I also have a set of Tommy Armour 845s irons, cheap. I only have the 3-9i. I let a roomate borrow them years ago and he came back drunk and missing my PW, SW and LW...booo. I kept them around because they were my clubs in college, I no longer need the centimental value..haha. Good partial set for someone just starting out.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Teddy
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky_Fresh View Post

Looking for some better instruction without having to pay an arm and a leg.
I'm no instructor.......but I have been a student of the game for 25 years, and have helped dozens of players start or improve. I really enjoy watching people get those golfing epiphany moments, so if anyone ever wants to go to the range and get some pointers, I'm happy to help. Whatever your guy charges just cut it in half....hahaha...i keed, i keed....

I'm probably gonna get up early tomorrow and go play Sunol to work on dialing in my yardages with the new sticks if anyone wants to play.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #19
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
A buddy of mine is looking for real cheap clubs to get in to golf. What were you thinking for each of those sets? The TA's could work for him. The Titleist would be nicer of course.

Not sure when I will be playing next. Plus, I play down here around Morgan Hill mostly. We have good courses, why go far! :P

Last edited by Ducky_Fresh; 06-04-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Ducky_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
Teddy
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
A buddy of mine is looking for real cheap clubs to get in to golf. What were you thinking for each of those sets? The TA's could work for him. The Titleist would be nicer of course.

Not sure when I will be playing next. Plus, I play down here around Morgan Hill mostly. We have good courses, why go far! :P
If he's just starting the Armour's are probably the best. He wont really "need" the PW at first since most hit the range for a couple months before trying the links....and lots of wedges you can buy individually out there. They also are the easiest to hit of the bunch. One downside, they are older clubs, so the clubheads are small compared to some newer sets, but it'll just make him better, faster...hahaha. $50 for those, I have them on CL for $65.

The 755's are $225 on CL, $200 for BARF.

There is no need to even consider the 690mb's for him.......better for the player under a 10hcp unless you want the punishment of a numb hand and no yardage on a mis-hit
Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #21
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
I played once upon a time. But I told myself if I ever tossed a club I'd quit. U can guess what happened. 3 clubs into the pond on one hole! I gave it up & gave away my clubs. Was more into riding anyway...

Now, please, you lousy swinging bastids, keep your opening drive on the 9th hole of SkyWest straight & no hooks ok? All my back windows are Kevlar, & I can't tell you how many times I had a ball woossh by me & the babies in the backyard. I've found about ~300 balls in the yard in my 30 years here....

-ebd
Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
Baptistro
Bapmarker

2006 /2007 Barfie Winner
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor
Bap severe

Motorcycles: 01 G1K, 02 BERG FE400E, 07 DRZ125L
Name: John 219
BARF golf tourney.
Mark "PitHo" Lawrence "Schmidty" Martin "fifthrival" Dykier Art Grant AFM#677 Fernando "Buds" Sanchez Bill "RydTher/B12Bill" Lockwood
Be a BARF Contributor! / BARF Terms of Service
Baptistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

I'm down.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
TheRobSJ
Mecanico El Supremo

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 H-D FLHTK
Name: Rob
Can I get like a 50 handicap?
TheRobSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Best ball tourney?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #26
Teddy
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistro View Post
BARF golf tourney.
BARF Scramble! I'm in.

Just won the open category and overall at the Union City Chamber of Commerce Tournament last week with a few CHP officers
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #27
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Ok. Ill ask him.

Do blades go farther when you make proper contact though?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #28
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post

Now, please, you lousy swinging bastids, keep your opening drive on the 9th hole of SkyWest straight & no hooks ok? All my back windows are Kevlar, & I can't tell you how many times I had a ball woossh by me & the babies in the backyard. I've found about ~300 balls in the yard in my 30 years here....

-ebd
Cant tell if serious, but if so:

Uh, you bought a house on a golf course. What did you think would happen? Better ban golf.

Like the folks in Monterey do with racing and sound at Laguna...
Old 06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #29
Teddy
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Ok. Ill ask him.

Do blades go farther when you make proper contact though?
Not for me....not when compared to the newer irons that really launch the ball, partly assisted by strong lofts. A blade is a 'touch' club, focused on control not distance. Usually by the time you are playing blades your swing speed is fast enough that distance is not a concern...then again, distance is always a concern..haha. Blades are great for shot shaping and distance control for the lower handicap golfer. They reward pure strikes with incredible feel and consistency....a mis hit goes nowhere. Some golfers that are learning like the penalty that a mis-hit blade will punish you with, kinda pavlovian. If you are about scoring, a game improvemnt iron is much more consistent for most

From 150 yards i'll hit a 7 or 8 with my blades depending on conditions, with my new Nike covert's its a 9...tops.

I'll still say a sweet strike my 690mb's feels better than anything, but I do like my new clubs.....

Last edited by Teddy; 06-08-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Old 06-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #30
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Motorcycles: '09 600RR
Name: Axel Foley
I used to golf fairly regularly but had to give it up for awhile for a few reasons but I'm looking to pick it up again very soon now.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote