Thank you Jeff hope all is well with you
Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #182
RRrider
Enthusiast, Fukrwe Club

AMA #: 2709351
Contributor

Motorcycles: Daytona 675R 2013, S1000XR 2016, KTM 350 exc-f 2016
Name: Richard
Did you guys install the red thingy under the seat (that's the technical term I believe - aka the coding plug ) that activates Dynamic Pro mode?

What was your impression?
"Nanakorobi Yaoki"

Last edited by RRrider; 10-03-2018 at 09:23 AM..
RRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #183
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRrider View Post
Did you guys install the red thingy under the seat (that's the technical term I believe - aka the coding plug ) that activates Dynamic Pro mode?

I didn't.

All it does as I understand in that mode is basically turn off all the safety stuff like traction control, it doesn't add any HP.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #184
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:

Yes.

I don't care about DP mode but I ride mostly in Dynamic as long as pavement is smooth. It also saves the settings which is nice.

Suspension settings are still trash all things considered. Dynamic mode definitely tightens them up, which is not a great thing for our shitty roads.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #185
RRrider
Enthusiast, Fukrwe Club

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
Yes.

I don't care about DP mode but I ride mostly in Dynamic as long as pavement is smooth. It also saves the settings which is nice.

Suspension settings are still trash all things considered. Dynamic mode definitely tightens them up, which is not a great thing for our shitty roads.
Suspension is actually my interest in this question. Is the suspension the same in Dynamic and Dynamic Pro, or do you eliminate some of that pogo sensation with Pro.

I never bothered to install the plug, as on my old S1KRR, I didn't like the throttle response in slick mode, and presumed the same would be true on the S1KXR...where I do like the throttle response but am unhappy with the suspension.

in another thread, I got turned onto the Tractive option. As my bike has about 24K miles on it, my suspension probably is due for some attention, and I'm considering Tractive...but I thought I'd explore this Dynamic Pro avenue to see if that improved matters first.

appreciate the words of wisdom folks!
"Nanakorobi Yaoki"
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #186
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
The throttle in Dynamic and DP is identical.

The suspension mode is changed to "C". Last time I tried it I found it to be too harsh for the kind of roads I ride at, plus the minimalist safety features in DP mode don't really work well for my commute.

That said, suspension is a very individual thing.

mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #187
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Name:
Quote:
Suspension is actually my interest in this question. Is the suspension the same in Dynamic and Dynamic Pro, or do you eliminate some of that pogo sensation with Pro.

I never bothered to install the plug, as on my old S1KRR, I didn't like the throttle response in slick mode, and presumed the same would be true on the S1KXR...where I do like the throttle response but am unhappy with the suspension.

in another thread, I got turned onto the Tractive option. As my bike has about 24K miles on it, my suspension probably is due for some attention, and I'm considering Tractive...but I thought I'd explore this Dynamic Pro avenue to see if that improved matters first.

appreciate the words of wisdom folks!
You'll find a ton of responses and personal exeriences here:
https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php?action=forum
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #188
SVJ
Where'd my bike go?

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1000+300+150+50=:)
Name: -J
I leave mine in pro all the time, I find the regular dynamic mode overlords too heavy handed.
SVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #189
Z3n
Squid.

Contributor +++++ 2%

Motorcycles: help me prove my commitment to Sparkle Motion.
Name:
Mine lives in Dynamic Pro if it's not raining. I find it allows some moderate sliding, and ABS intervention is perfect for dry weather use. I tend to keep it in Road TC mode when the conditions are intermittent, as Rain is a little too aggressive on intervention for my tastes unless there's a lot of standing water.

For suspension settings, I worked with Tractive until the front setup was perfect for road use in the softer mode, and stiffer mode was good on track or on reasonably smooth roads.

I don't notice a significant difference in suspension compliance between the Rain / Road / Dynamic / Dynamic Pro. Couldn't say if that's a function of the Tractive suspension or just that the variation in OEM setup doesn't make a significant enough difference to me to be meaningful. I'm also quite used to very stiff roadrace suspension, and prefer my road suspension on the compliant side of sporty.

It's noteworth that the bike would bottom out constantly on the stock shock spring, making a very harsh ride. I believe I went from something like a 90nm spring to a 120nm spring and while I had serious concerns about going up that many spring rates, it made the ride incredibly compliant, as it started actually operating in the correct travel in the stroke. The bike also became rideable in Rider mode, as opposed to my constantly having to keep it in Rider + Luggage mode just to get it to stop squatting so terribly on the rear.
Z3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #190
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
Yeah I installed the red thingy. It just unlocks Dynamic Pro which allows wheelies and has reduced intervention from the ABS and TC. But it still intervenes quite a bit and won't really let you crash in the dry unless you're being an idiot.

The suspension is far from trash. But it could use a few tweaks. I am actually thinking of putting a stiffer spring on the rear since I agree it is way too soft and squatty. I just wish the ESA had more range. I can definitely tell the difference, but the ability to change from a goat road to a race track would be pretty awesome. Right now - it's more like being able to switch from a bumpy road to a pretty smooth road; not soft enough for truly goaty roads and not stiff enough for track use.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #191
RRrider
Enthusiast, Fukrwe Club

Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3n View Post
44k on mine. Suspension got kinda crappy at 30k or so due to the oil breaking down, so I installed the Tractive stuff, which is a massive improvement over the stock stuff. Now the suspension is as good as any bike I've ever ridden, including my trackbikes.

Will need to do the valves soon-ish. Did chain and sprockets recently, no drama there. Had to replace the cush drive rubbers, was getting major play at the cush drive (maybe it's cause of the wheelies, idk).

Besides all that, bike is in great shape and I'm very happy with it.
Who did the Tractive suspension installation and setup for you?

Does the Beemer shop in Scotts Valley do installs too, or just distribute the parts from the Netherlands? Did you go to a dealer? Did you have someone like Catalyst Reaction do it? Or did you do it yourself?

thanks!
"Nanakorobi Yaoki"
Old 10-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #192
Z3n
Squid.

Contributor +++++ 2%

Name:
Quote:
Who did the Tractive suspension installation and setup for you?

Does the Beemer shop in Scotts Valley do installs too, or just distribute the parts from the Netherlands? Did you go to a dealer? Did you have someone like Catalyst Reaction do it? Or did you do it yourself?

thanks!
I pulled the shock myself, and dropped it off with them. For the fork install, I brought the bike to them. They're full service for distribution and install if you want them to be. I was one of the first, so they (reasonably) wanted to make sure the product worked as expected, and they were great in working with me to get it just right.

There were a couple of times I brought it back to get it dialed in, as the setup on the front wasn't in balance with the rear with the initial damping settings in the cartridge, so they had to swap the cartridges, but they took great care of me and they should have it all dialed out of the box by now.

There's no actual tuning that can be done by the end user on these, afaik - they're a sealed cartridge, and I don't know that it's possible (or a good idea) to do shim adjustments to them.

Dropped you a PM as well

Last edited by Z3n; 10-03-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Old 10-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #193
RRrider
Enthusiast, Fukrwe Club

Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3n View Post
I pulled the shock myself, and dropped it off with them. For the fork install, I brought the bike to them. They're full service for distribution and install if you want them to be. I was one of the first, so they (reasonably) wanted to make sure the product worked as expected, and they were great in working with me to get it just right.

There were a couple of times I brought it back to get it dialed in, as the setup on the front wasn't in balance with the rear with the initial damping settings in the cartridge, so they had to swap the cartridges, but they took great care of me and they should have it all dialed out of the box by now.

There's no actual tuning that can be done by the end user on these, afaik - they're a sealed cartridge, and I don't know that it's possible (or a good idea) to do shim adjustments to them.

Dropped you a PM as well
Awesome! appreciate the guidance!
thx
"Nanakorobi Yaoki"
Old 01-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #194
CrazyBiker
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2016 Tuono Factory 2014 S1000R
Name:
To add this is from my S1KR

How much did the tractive cost? I am at 12k; far away but good to know.
CrazyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #195
Z3n
Squid.

Contributor +++++ 2%

Name:
When I bought them, it was 1k for the cartridge, 900 for the shock, and I had them install the cartridge / provided my shock off the bike. They validated that the front spring rate was appropriate on the install and swapped the parts to the shock. I was also an early adopter so they provided a bunch of great support to get things just right.