Old 05-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parainbow View Post
Buffeting is not an issue for me with the windscreen in the high position, but I'm a Napoleonic 5'8". The wind blast hits my helmet at the top of the visor, and if I'm on a long trip, I'll just bend forward slightly, and it's gone.

Handlebar vibes are noticeable, but not enough to take away from the overall experience. That seems to vary from bike to bike, and subside as the bike gets completely broken in. I'm at 10K miles now. I also don't spend a whole lot of time at 4500-5000 rpm, where the issue seems to lie. Putting along in urban traffic is typically around 4000, and 5000+ at speed. No vibes at all in the foot pegs for me.

I was pleasantly surprised by the seat (for a BMW), it works for me for 4-5 hours, but it's not unbearable past that, I do 8 hour rides 4 times a month. I'll be upgrading that eventually, but it's not a high priority.

The only place I think the engineers slacked off was the headlight. At that price point, they could have at least included the LED running light (standard on the euro model) for visibility. The beam pattern is very good, but the OEM H7 bulbs are lackluster. My low burnt out at 8500 miles, putting me in a pinch, so I picked up some Silver Star Ultras at the nearest Wally World. Significant improvement, and I have Denali LEDs now, problem solved.

It is tire-hungry, but any bike with that kind of power on tap will be. I'm not going to pay for the performance and not use it when appropriate.

Feel free to hit me up if you have other questions. I'll be happy to gush some more - it really is a phenomenal machine. It's the love child of the R1200GS and S1000RR (and the last several years of engineering that went into them), which is exactly what I have been pining for.
I'm looking over the options on the BMW website and am getting a headache. Did you get the premium package with all the bells and whistles?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I'm looking over the options on the BMW website and am getting a headache. Did you get the premium package with all the bells and whistles?
All the whistles you can afford and then a few extra. That's what makes bikes like this great.
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

AMA #: 3203743

Motorcycles: '16 S1000XR, '13 Ural Gear Up
Name: Paul
Quote:
I'm even entertaing a Du...a Duc...I can't even say it.
I made the switch back to BMW from Ducati with this purchase. The bike was the selling point, but overall, I was extremely disappointed with the service departments at Ducati dealers.

Seems that most Duc owners are recreational riders, and the shops don't think it's a big deal for your bike to sit in the shop for almost 2 months (twice) waiting for bolt-on parts that should be readily available.

I know there are bad BMW dealers, and very good Duc dealers out there, but in my experience, the difference between the two brands as a whole is night and day.

The Italians do know how to make a sexy motorcycle, though.
parainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

Quote:
Yessir! But mine was a factory demo, so I got it for the same price as the "base" model that doesn't seem to exist.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #20
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Yessir! But mine was a factory demo, so I got it for the same price as the "base" model that doesn't seem to exist.
Let me narrow it down, are there any of the options you find that you could easily live without like for example the Dynamic ESA which only comes on the premium package? Oh, and is your pipe stock??

Last edited by Ant; 05-15-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
I made the switch back to BMW from Ducati with this purchase. The bike was the selling point, but overall, I was extremely disappointed with the service departments at Ducati dealers.

Seems that most Duc owners are recreational riders, and the shops don't think it's a big deal for your bike to sit in the shop for almost 2 months (twice) waiting for bolt-on parts that should be readily available.

I know there are bad BMW dealers, and very good Duc dealers out there, but in my experience, the difference between the two brands as a whole is night and day.

The Italians do know how to make a sexy motorcycle, though.
Been dealing with CalMoto for years, first with my Tiger then my RT and have never been treated bad. They have always gone out of their way for me and that makes me want to stick with them, Plus I really like the way BMW stands behind thier stuff as also been my experience. Nothing but good things to say for both dealer and BMW.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
I wonder if it makes more sense to get the standard suspension and put some nice cartridges in there, rather than the electronic suspension?

What happens when the electronic thing stops working, or needs maintenance? Can you even work on it yourself?
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #23
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:
I'm even entertaing a Du...a Duc...I can't even say it.
You owe it to yourself to test-ride both the S1000XR and the Multistrada 1200S before making a decision. On paper they're very similar, but distinctly different when you ride them. The S1000XR is the horsepower king, raucous exhaust and the auto-blipped downshifts are kinda cool. The Multistrada 1200S won me over with better suspension, better wind protection, a more comfortable saddle, a dash I could read without needing glasses, better switchgear, and V-twin power-delivery.

There's also the upcoming KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT to consider...
fubar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #24
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

Quote:
Let me narrow it down, are there any of the options you find that you could easily live without like for example the Dynamic ESA which only comes on the premium package? Oh, and is your pipe stock??
I personally wouldn't want to make do without any of the electronics. I think it would just set the stage for expensive upgrades down the road, at least for me.

They're in the same category as cell phones and microwaves. I pooh-poohed them until I tried them, and now I won't be able to buy a primary bike without them.

I would say if you can afford it, get the whole enchilada. The only way I would recommend less is if that's the only way you can get this model. And in that case, I would wait for a demo or used one. This is CA, after all. Someone with more money than sense is bound to buy one and scare themself good with it.

I have the stock pipe. If I ever change it, that would be purely cosmetic. I think it sounds great as-is. Not annoying at lower rpm, and downright mean above 6k with a nice popping on decel in dynamic mode.

Best of luck with your shopping, BTW. Picking a motorcycle is agonizing. Kinda like being at the Victoria's Secret fashion show, and being told you can take a model home with you, but you have to choose one.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #25
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
You owe it to yourself to test-ride both the S1000XR and the Multistrada 1200S before making a decision. On paper they're very similar, but distinctly different when you ride them. The S1000XR is the horsepower king, raucous exhaust and the auto-blipped downshifts are kinda cool. The Multistrada 1200S won me over with better suspension, better wind protection, a more comfortable saddle, a dash I could read without needing glasses, better switchgear, and V-twin power-delivery.

There's also the upcoming KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT to consider...
Test ride absolutely! Right now I'm going through that lust phase I think most here can relate to. It's been 4 years, 5 months and 4 days since I bought a new bike and am having trouble suppressing the urge any longer.

Problem is I still love my RT as much as the day I bought it, the honeymoon hasn't ended. But I want a new bike. Fack.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #26
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
oof!

Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #27
bambamb43
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000R,2002 kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1976 Suzuki GT 750, 2005 gixxer 1000 (Track)
Name: Bruce
I have the BMW S1000R , if you're going to get one get it with all the bells and whistles you won't regret it, but if you don't get it with everything you'll always wonder what it would of been like with it
bambamb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #28
parainbow
Chicks dig squeaky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I wonder if it makes more sense to get the standard suspension and put some nice cartridges in there, rather than the electronic suspension?

What happens when the electronic thing stops working, or needs maintenance? Can you even work on it yourself?
I'm fairly certain that would be more expensive than going with the electronic option.

It defaults to a conventional "safe" mode that is still completely ridable. The electronics simply control a series of internal valves that automatically compensate for load, speed, and road conditions.

I wouldn't try to work on any of the electronics without the factory software. I would be apprehensive about this kind of technology if it was brand new, but they've fine tuned it on several models over the past few years.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #29
Starpower
Veteran

12% Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 BMW S1000R, '13 Zero S, '01 Artic Cat 500 4x4 '09 KTM SX-F 250
Name: Jeff
I have a S1000R and it has the same famed bar vibes. After market bar ends have tamed about 80% of it and it is no longer an issue for me. About $80 and no more bad vibes raining on me.

These are spectacular bikes, do it!
Starpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #30
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
oof!
I love my current bike and am not looking to replace it. I love my current bike and am not looking to replace it. I love my current bike and am not looking to replace it. I love my current bike and.....
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote