Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW S1000XR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
F that, get the GT.

What's the reliability & maintenance like with KTM? I know nada.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #47
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
If BMWs are any indicator, expensive. 6000 mile service intervals cut into any fuel savings.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #48
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
If BMWs are any indicator, expensive. 6000 mile service intervals cut into any fuel savings.
Just called and got prices for the 6k & 12k XR services and they're cheap!!!
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #49
Phanuel
Confused

Motorcycles: Something crippled
Name:
6k and 12k should just be an oil change and a filter... $100 if you do it yourself. I don't know what would be different than my S1kRR.

Edit:18k is the big one. That was ~$1.1k for me since the dealer complained about my lightly crashed bike. But that one is valve clearance (I had none out of clearance), fork fluid, and a brake bleed.

Additional edit: the only problem with BMWs is that the 6k service interval may require the GS-911 tool to reset the dash maint interval display.

Last edited by Phanuel; 05-17-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #50
KnifeySpoony

Motorcycles: SV650 S1000XR
Name: Tyler
I got my XR on Saturday and loving it so far (coming from riding sportbikes only). Fast, comfy riding position (though seat upgrade may be down the road), great electronics/creature comforts, handles great, well damped. I have heavy bar end weights, so the handlebar vibes are minimal to none. Only occasionally get some vibes through seat/pedals at 4500ish RPM. It's definitely not a "relaxed" touring/cruiser though. It's geared quite short (about 6k at 80 in top gear), and is always ready to blast you off into warp drive. Pulls smooth and hard just off idle, unlike the big twins I've ridden that are great in the midrange (torque-y-er than the XR) but are very unhappy under load at low RPMs.

Windscreen is kinda crappy- I'm 6'1" and in the high position, the buffeting is unacceptable- much more uncomfortable at freeway speeds than a naked bike that at least gets clean air. In low position it is tolerable, but I will likely get a bigger screen for long freeway rides.
KnifeySpoony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #51
hophead
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: American
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
F that, get the GT.

meh gives new meaning to the word "fugly" i'd take an R1200rs water cooled boxer any day of the week over the ktm just on looks alone! Don't even get me started on well geared the RS is-real world riding right there.
hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #52
DIY
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono, ST1100, 400 Bandit (still broken)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead View Post
meh gives new meaning to the word "fugly" i'd take an R1200rs water cooled boxer any day of the week over the ktm just on looks alone! Don't even get me started on well geared the RS is-real world riding right there.
I looked at the RS but my arms are too short.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #53
hophead
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: American
Name: Dan
^^^The kind folks at SF BMW (shout out to Markhus) invited me on the shop's first test ride RS bike, even knowing I was not able to buy one, and would not be able to financially for another year anyway, realistically...they took me up Guadalupe and back and all I can say is what a motorcycle. What a phenomenal, capable, all around practical and efficient as hell in every way motorcycle and oh yeah, did I mention it's ride is sublime? Swear to god no lie I yelled for joy at one point and even under the helmet I betcha the car behind me heard

Edit: DIY do you remember the 1st generation "oilhead?" In 1994 BMW came out with the R1100rs and rsl model. One of the many unique features of this bike was how adjustable it was, including both the seat (up and down) and Handlebars, fore and aft so those with relatively shorter arms or legs or what have you simply made adjustments. I love BMW RS and one day again i'll have one......they are so practical, but the ride quality as well as ownership is truly unique.

Last edited by hophead; 05-17-2016 at 05:34 PM..
hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #54
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
I looked at the RS but my arms are too short.
Did you try the R? Less stretched out ergos than the RS.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #55
myblunt
ADV Noob...

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW GSA, 2007 ZX10R, 1981 KZ440
Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
6k and 12k should just be an oil change and a filter... $100 if you do it yourself. I don't know what would be different than my S1kRR.

Edit:18k is the big one. That was ~$1.1k for me since the dealer complained about my lightly crashed bike. But that one is valve clearance (I had none out of clearance), fork fluid, and a brake bleed.

Additional edit: the only problem with BMWs is that the 6k service interval may require the GS-911 tool to reset the dash maint interval display.
True. Either a GS-911 or the dealer (who may do it for free out of good will for man, or charge a half hour of labor)... OR you can just ignore it. On my 2014 R1200GSA it will give a yellow indicator when you key on, then it dissapears and theres a small bit on the LCD screen which says Service, and it is totally easily ignored.
Also, on the XR, it should be fairly easy to do the valve clearance checks yourself, and I'd say if you're into valve checks you can probably flush the brakes and change your own fork fluid too.

The real cost is in the tires you're gonna use....
myblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #56
wakked1
Wookie

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: ADV 1190R, TE610/SM, Speed Triple R, ...
Name: Lucas
Electronic suspension really is worth it esp on these tall bikes. Besides being able to adjust the suspension between urban/goat and track-stiff, the semi-active suspension really reduces dive under braking. Really sweet for 2-up riding too, I sometimes forget my wife is on the back (when I can't hear her scream)
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #57
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Just called and got prices for the 6k & 12k XR services and they're cheap!!!
I've had some services cost $200 and some $600 if parts are worn and the valves need adjustment.

Also I do like 1000 miles a month so I get it tuned up twice a year like clockwork, plus tires every 10k, it's not any kind of savings over a car.

Just passing 48k now, I think I'll keep the F800 till 100k and then get a used XR

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #58
Ant
Pink Freud

Contributor +

Name:
It's official: my boner is exclusively for the XR.

Test ride is coming up so it's either XR or keep the RT (for now)

Appreciate all the input and responses (even you Duc & KTM fans)
Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #59
Tharkūn
Freeway Moderator

Mod Alumni

Motorcycles: Dirt
Name:
You have the old RT correct? Try the new one also
Tharkūn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #60
Hooli
Bismillah

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Yep.
Name: El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hophead View Post
meh gives new meaning to the word "fugly" i'd take an R1200rs water cooled boxer any day of the week over the ktm just on looks alone!
I once thought like you do...when I first laid eyes on the 2nd gen MTS 1200 I thought it was the most hideous bike ever, second only to its predecessor. Hell, it even had a beak. But one test ride convinced me. You can have your Boxer, I could care less on a bike's appearance, my priorities are on performance.

Maybe I'll just get the KTM to piss you off.

PS: Ant, congrats on your decision.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant AFM #677 Craig Hightower AFM#868 Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM #13 Miri/Lylith
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote