BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 12-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #46
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Thanks Tom.

Surgery round 2 is tomorrow morning, if that goes well, he'll be able to plate the tibia and i can lose the the external fixator.

Swelling from the first surgery is going down a lot already, hopefully i can keep that trend up after round two. Have some recoup time built into the schedule so i have a few days to start feeling perkier...work holidays are helping me not burn up PTO at least (that and my job being very flexible about allowing a lot of telecommuting).

Not looking forward to feeling crappy again, but i AM looking forward to being able to really focus on healing.

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #47
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
How are you? How did it go?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #48
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Got home from round 2 yesterday afternoon - no more erector set on my leg, so that's a good start. Now to focus on healing and setting myself up for the best outcome I can.

At this point the nerve blocks are still working, so not feeling too bad at the moment - hoping the percoset will have built up in my system enough that as those wear off over the next few hours things don't get TOO much worse

From a post-op standpoint this one was "normal" - I didn't feel like I was struggling to pull out of the anesthesia, and there was no nausea....this procedure was done at the Doc's normal site rather than the hospital where we did the first one. Not sure WTF the hospital did, but that was a miserable post-op experience - sick, my throat was really sore and swollen (like whoever did the inundation had no fucking clue what they were doing) to the point of making it hard to breath, etc. NONE of that crap this time, felt pretty good by the time I was heading home.

I haven't seen x-rays or anything yet, but my understanding is there is a base plate on the end of the tibia now with screws holding the two ends together. Fibula (which was plated at round 1) has a plate to hold it to length with a triangular/butterfly piece that was too small to screw in, so will need to reattach itself, technically still free-floating.

Until my follow up in two weeks, I don't really have even a ball park on best and worst case recoveries. His biggest concern is soft tissue damage and healing. Once things have had a couple weeks to start healing and we re-x-ray things I'm guessing I'll have a better idea of exactly what we're dealing with in that regard.

In the meantime, I'm just focused on setting myself up for the best possible outcome, trying to eat good and supplement the right stuff, and keep active (giving myself a couple days to recoup if I feel I need it, I'm pretty good about listening to my body, but also don't want to get into a routine of being too easy going, either). Even if I'm going easy on that lower leg, no reason to lose fitness everywhere else! Crutching around will be a little easier without the erector set on there again, plus if I were to fall, it's less scary - those huge pins sticking out of my leg really had me terrified of that - it's one thing to have a slow fall and keep my leg out of it, it was another prospect to try and keep those pins out of the way....so I'll probably add some little crutch-walks into my routine during the days once I'm up to it....it's a surprisingly good cardio workout

AFM #302

RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #49
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350
Name: Daniel
Hey AJ:

Glad this round went well and is past. Sending best wishes for a fast recovery. Thanks for posting up your progress.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #50
doc4216
Coastie who high fives

AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
Yay for easier post surgery this time! Hoping that the next two weeks go relatively smooth.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #51
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
glad to hear the second surgery went well AJ, sounds like you are in a good position relatively speaking. wishing you a happy new year and quick recovery
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM   #52
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), RM-250, R1150RT
Name: Tom
AJ,

I'm glad it went much smoother this time around! It sounds like the Anesthesiologist was a bit rough the first time around.

I have two family members that ended up in non weight bearing lower leg casts -one from a dirt bike injury- and after the pain subsided, mobility became the issue. Both mentioned that the crutches were ok in the beginning but your underarm can become sore if you are trying to cover any real distance and have to do it for a while. Both were in casts for about 3 months. My Sister in Law used the knee scooter that I mentioned earlier. She is Fire Fighter and would have to pass the physical to go back to work, which included lifting the big ladders and carrying weight long distance etc. So like you, she was concerned about getting back in the gym ASAP and the knee scooter helped her get to the gym and get around outdoors. My brother didn't go that route, I don't know why, and ended up hanging around the house for months. The heaviest thing he lifted was a cup of coffee in the mornings and a cocktail in the evening. Both relied on those long grabbers you see people using to pick up trash on the side of the freeway to pickup their newspapers and socks etc. and used travel cups to get around the house with coffee.

Keep us posted on your progress. You have a lot of people here pulling for you.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #53
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by anytwowilldo View Post
AJ,

I'm glad it went much smoother this time around! It sounds like the Anesthesiologist was a bit rough the first time around.

I have two family members that ended up in non weight bearing lower leg casts -one from a dirt bike injury- and after the pain subsided, mobility became the issue. Both mentioned that the crutches were ok in the beginning but your underarm can become sore if you are trying to cover any real distance and have to do it for a while. Both were in casts for about 3 months. My Sister in Law used the knee scooter that I mentioned earlier. She is Fire Fighter and would have to pass the physical to go back to work, which included lifting the big ladders and carrying weight long distance etc. So like you, she was concerned about getting back in the gym ASAP and the knee scooter helped her get to the gym and get around outdoors. My brother didn't go that route, I don't know why, and ended up hanging around the house for months. The heaviest thing he lifted was a cup of coffee in the mornings and a cocktail in the evening. Both relied on those long grabbers you see people using to pick up trash on the side of the freeway to pickup their newspapers and socks etc. and used travel cups to get around the house with coffee.

Keep us posted on your progress. You have a lot of people here pulling for you.
I'm probably going to look into the iWalk, the scoot I'm not sure how user friendly that would be for me with all the stairs I have to navigate....I've seen them used in the past by friends though.

As for the crutches, I'm supporting most of my weight with my hands, not my underarms - I've gone a bit of a distance a few times, and the only soreness under my arms was a rub from where it was rubbing against the seam of my bra - moved things around and solved that issue.

I've been doing workouts here at home since it happened - I've got a few things here, enough to give me a workout if I do it right, so can already promise I've done more than cups of coffee

I've also talked to my doc about an aggressive PT schedule once we get to that point - I don't want things to stiffen up too much, I know it will be bad enough as it is already...

AFM #302

BARF TOS
Old 12-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #54
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
I'm probably going to look into the iWalk, the scoot I'm not sure how user friendly that would be for me with all the stairs I have to navigate....I've seen them used in the past by friends though.

As for the crutches, I'm supporting most of my weight with my hands, not my underarms - I've gone a bit of a distance a few times, and the only soreness under my arms was a rub from where it was rubbing against the seam of my bra - moved things around and solved that issue.

I've been doing workouts here at home since it happened - I've got a few things here, enough to give me a workout if I do it right, so can already promise I've done more than cups of coffee

I've also talked to my doc about an aggressive PT schedule once we get to that point - I don't want things to stiffen up too much, I know it will be bad enough as it is already...
So happy to hear you got the Erector-Set off & the surgery went well; your doing just great!

Sorry I haven't been around f/a few days; been moving grown kid f/one room to another along w/lots of furniture & pc moves. Got it up in a temp spot now until more is done, then w/go down again f/a few days. Things happen slow here.....

Don't be shy on using the ice when you need it; if your going to start slowing on the meds you'll surely need it. One thing I learned, if you know what time of day/night the pain is the worst, take a pill BEFORE the pain hits. In other words, beat-the-pain. Doing a pain pill after you feel the pain is too late-so you get hit until it starts taking effect. This method works believe me....
Quote:
<snip>...and the only soreness under my arms was a rub from where it was rubbing against the seam of my bra - moved things around and solved that issue.
I was trying to visualize that.....

Sorry, I'm terrible, I know it.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #55
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
ER ?

You didn't mention which ER you were in, but it sounds about as lame as Marin General.

Hope that heals up well.
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 AM   #56
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
You didn't mention which ER you were in, but it sounds about as lame as Marin General.

Hope that heals up well.
Sutter Lakeside - the one up in Kelseyville. I don't know that I've ever had a good story from an ER - either at the time or afterwards I find out their incompetence. Scary to think your life is their hands in a real life and death situation.

Thus far things are going fine, planning on starting to get back to the office at least a little more regularly tomorrow onward (probably like every other day). There's not much sympathy from the gal who I have to work directly under (who, incidentally, is 100% remote - of course) and I'm not laid up enough to try to fight to keep a job with disability and shit. I like my job, so I'll deal with it, my actual boss has been very flexible, so I'll make it work. If I can find a better way to get the leg up more it would help, but my current area isn't very conducive to it.

Either way I'm sick of being house bound, so getting out doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

On another note, this past weekend my mood took a dive - or, better way to put it, my sunny disposition seems to have taken a long walk off a short pier. That hasn't changed my determination to set myself for the best outcome I can, but I can't pretend like things are sunshine and roses anymore. Guess it's pretty normal to hit that point, as long as I'm focused on doing everything in my power to help things along, it is what it is.

AFM #302

BARF TOS
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #57
Cookie Monster
noob

Contributor + 3% /GOP

Motorcycles: 954
Name:
I think your injury is a lot worse than mine was but after I broke my fib this past summer and got surgery to have a plate put in, I started going to the gym every day and walking in chest deep water in the pool to help my ankle start moving/functioning normally. I also sat in the hot tub and did some mobility exercises (draw the alphabet with your toe, etc) and by the time the boot came off the doctor said I didn't need any PT.
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #58
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
I think your injury is a lot worse than mine was but after I broke my fib this past summer and got surgery to have a plate put in, I started going to the gym every day and walking in chest deep water in the pool to help my ankle start moving/functioning normally. I also sat in the hot tub and did some mobility exercises (draw the alphabet with your toe, etc) and by the time the boot came off the doctor said I didn't need any PT.
Once I'm cleared to get it wet, I will probably add back in some water work (right now I can't get it wet yet) - purposefully joined a gym with a pool and hot tub just for that reason.

In the meantime, doing upper body, core, and various leg lift exercises every couple days to keep my fitness going everywhere else. My arm healed way faster than expected when i broke that, and I was less proactive than I'm being with this injury, so I'm hoping that will pay off over the next couple/few months.

AFM #302

BARF TOS
Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #59
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
How did I not see this??

AJ, if you need anything, let me know.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
How did I not see this??

AJ, if you need anything, let me know.
Thanks, will do I'm trying to spread out the requests so no friends in particular are feeling too burdened Doing pretty good on my own, but there are some things I just can't do no matter how stubborn I may be

AFM #302

BARF TOS