BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
JLX

Motorcycles: N/A
Name:
new bike 250 or 350f?

I've been riding for about a year now and looking to pick myself up my first bike.

I'm coming off a KDX220 which I love, but I'm looking to spoil myself a little and get something with some new tech on it.

Two bikes that have my interest are:
  • Husky FE250 (or KTM)
  • Husky FE350 (or KTM)

Getting something plated sounds really cool and also useful. Still being fairly new to riding and also a smaller rider, I figured a 250 would be good. But getting confused on the 350 now. Any suggestions?

I previously rode Metcalf and Hollister. However, I recently moved to Sacramento so will be riding up here / Tahoe area more.
JLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor +1%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC, Beta Techno 250
Name: Alex
The 350 will have better road manners if any of your transfer sections involve highway. It's a good middle ground between the 250 and the 501 I think. Basically with the plate the more road time you plan to do the more I'd lean toward the 350.

If you plan to mostly truck it, I might stick w/ a 250. Some of the national forest stuff can get gnarly, unless you are just doing fire roads. I personally would want the lightest most nimble bike possible.

Just my 2c
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
I went with a bike with a plate because I thought it would be useful. Turns out I trailer my bike everywhere instead so the plate is virtually useless. If you want a plate, get the 350. They are great bikes. If you plan to tow it to the trails then get the 250.

I find the plate helps when I get exhausted and I can take the road back (This happened to me at Downieville). I think in reality...the lighter 2T won't tire me out as much and therefore I don't need that bailout.

Agreed with Alex: lightest and most nimble bike possible.

The plate is cool because you can participate in dual sport riding events (Sheetiron) but there is a cost to them--literally. Any dual sport ride of your own/with buddies it will likely be necessary to truck bike in anyway. Depends what kind of riding you want to do: Trail/single track vs fire road and exploring through towns.

Last edited by madsen203; 02-21-2018 at 04:55 PM..
madsen203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
The thing to remember about the 350 is that it does *not* feel like a halfway bike, it's much closer to a 250 than a 450. I feel like people who ask the question should just get the 350 because the 350 is probably much less than they're imagining.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
JLX

Motorcycles: N/A
Name:
I ended up getting a 250 today!
JLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLX View Post
I ended up getting a 250 today!
Congrats! Husky FE250? I am amazed at the new Husky FE series bikes. I'll have one someday.......

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: DR650, Ducati HyperStrada, .
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLX View Post
Getting something plated sounds really cool and also useful. Still being fairly new to riding and also a smaller rider, I figured a 250 would be good. But getting confused on the 350 now. Any suggestions?
By smaller do you mean "shorter"? I note the KDX220 is quite LOW for a dirt bike. It's super light and has nice power for what it is. Decent low end grunt for 2 stroke too.

The new Huskies and KTM's ... both 250 and 350, are quite TALL. I can't get both feet down on either one. I assume you're tall enough to handle that new bike??

I'm guessing Husky/KTM seat height around 36" or so? The 250 will be fun everywhere except highway. If you can touch down a bit, all the better.

If I could afford a $10,000 dirt bike I'd certainly consider those new bikes on your list. But of course you could have saved a few bucks and bought a used XR250R, or Enduro ready 250 two stroke or some other nice used dirt bike.
This of course if you DO NOT need a plate. But there are some XR250's with plates out there.

Probably pay in the area of $1500 to $3000?

If me, I'd go with a 250 Two Stroke. KTM exc or Yamaha YZ 250 Two Strokes my favs. Maybe 40 lbs. lighter than the Husky 350 and LOTS more HP than your current KDX. AND $7000 less expensive ... and a basic top end rebuild costs about the same as dinner out with the girlfriend.

Last edited by Rumbo Sur; 02-22-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Rumbo Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
That's the good thing about the 250exc, they don't seem to be as popular and you can get deals. Normally, all orange bikes blow out the door and there are no leftovers and no deals, but you can pick up a '17 250exc for probably just under $8k out the door.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
951dude
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Dirt
Name: Alex
Are you gonna sell the KDX?
951dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
Wow, you don't mess around!

Did you get a new one? Or used?

I was looking at a KTM 500 EXC (new), but ouchie, would have been $13,000 OTD plus setting it up right (good tires, guards, JD Tuner, etc).
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote