BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
zixaq
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ6
Name: Scott
Route Guidance: SF to Laramie, WY in late June

I'm leaving SF about June 26 and I'd like to be in Wyoming or maybe Denver instead within a week. I was loosely planning on swinging up the coast into oregon and crossing through Oregon and Idaho, but I don't know what routes are the most fun. Furthest north I've been riding is about Tahoe.

Any must-sees? Is Yellowstone worth a ride-through, or is it just a tourist trap in the summer? Crater Lake?
zixaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------>

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900 GT '17 FZ-10 '13 R1 track bike.
Name: Michael
Originally from Denver. I've ridden from Denver to Las Vegas-L.A.-SF-Santa Rosa taking I-70/I-15/101, and then back to Denver mostly VIA I-80. My only real advice is avoid I-80! Especially eastbound after Wendover NV/UT. The most awful, boring stretch of Interstate there is pretty much.

If you could, maybe swing down and take I-70 through Utah and Colorado to Denver then up I-25 to WY. That's much better than I-80. Unless you're wanting to take only smaller 2 lane highways and roads etc?

Sorry, I haven't ridden anything more north then that either (I-80).
Colorado Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
zixaq
Veteran

Looking to avoid slabbing completely if possible. Old decrepit twisty highways preferred.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Colorado Mike
I wrote that ------>

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '19 Tracer 900 GT '17 FZ-10 '13 R1 track bike.
Name: Michael
Gotcha. I can give you recommendations for while in CO, but getting there on a more northern route I can't add anything.
Colorado Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Lots of great roads between here and either destination.
All the sights in Northern California.
395 through eastern Oregon has a lot of great sights but boring road.
Crater Lake is a fun sight
Cascade lakes national scenic byway is interesting route into Bend Oregon. Very pretty sights and warm lakes.
Hwy 12 east from Wallua, WA across Idaho to Missoula is riding heaven but gas stations are few are far between.
Glacier NP is pretty sights
Yellowstone is always good

A more southern route take CA 120 through Yosemite to 395 to big pine and 168 east to visit bristlecone forest and further east on 168 to 264 to 773 to 6 to Ely to 50 to Utah.
Utah hwy 12 is a very fun road
Zion and Bryce are great sights

Lots a great roads in Colorado:
US 50
US 550
CO 149 between US 50 to Southfork

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Yellowstone is always good
Always. Even if you're stuck in some Buffalo Photo Op traffic jam, you're stuck in traffic in Yellowstone.
Quote:
Zion and Bryce are great sights
Zion is dangerous on a motorcycle. There's a real problem with target fixation, with those targets being nowhere near that turny road that you're riding. Takes a lot of concentration to "not look" at everything around you.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #7
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.

... +1 on Yellowstone ...
and I hate National Parks ...

... plus you can see Beartooth Pass ...

... sounds like an awesome trip!
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
bcj
Spagthorpe RA

Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS / SV650
Name:
Dead Indian Memorial Rd. out of Ashland OR to Lake of the Woods is interesting and gets you pointed mostly to Crater Lake.

From there to Burns is sort of desolate and mostly straight roads in the SE of Oregon.

Gets better in central and NE.
Shaniko - Antelope - Fossil - Spray is a route people up here mark on their calendars for multiple weekends.

The John Day Fossil Beds is a drive through the painted mountains. Amazing.
The interpretive center near the south end is a nice place to cool off and take a whizz.

26 from John Day is a nice drive to Ontario OR.
From there it's mostly flat to Idaho Falls.

From Boise 21 through Stanley then 75 to 93 up the Salmon River.
Missoula. Over and back on 12 - Lolo Pass - do eet.
Going To The Sun Hwy in Glacier Park.

83 south from Flathead Lake is a nice drive through the valley.
Mostly very rural with lots of trees and horse acres.

Last edited by bcj; 05-03-2018 at 10:11 AM..
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
The State of Oregon publishes a free motorcycle map that highlights good roads, and Butler Maps publishes motorcycle maps for many states. Recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
395 through eastern Oregon has a lot of great sights but boring road.
Perhaps you've ridden the wrong part? Did you ride from Burns to John Day, through Devine Canyon?
Old 05-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #10
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Delays on de Road.

Checking GPS for traffic and road closures could save you time and clean-up/Summer is repaving season. Be prepared for delays, oily stretches, chip seal and other PITAs.

Also, thunder storms. If you wear leather, it'll get soggy and potentially not dry.

Riding at dusk the same as here, critters making suicide runs across the highways. Adding to the Bryce Canyon/Zion comments, agree and something you should understand about the places you are seeking to tour. Have your head on a swivel as gawkers will rear end you or come across the double-yellow turning you into road kill. Worse than commute traffic to be sure.

It is all worth it. Got time to divert north? Glacier National worth the time if you have it. Road-to-the-Sun a must. Make sure it is open for travel. I've done Yellowstone in a day. Speed views of all the popular points of interest, but doable. Check timing of Old Faithful in advance so you aren't sitting waiting.

Doesn't 395 have the shoe tree?
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.

Last edited by BillSmith; 05-06-2018 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Add more!
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #11
zixaq
Veteran

Okay, so draft version of what I'm thinking. I'll almost certainly deviate from planned course, because that's the whole point, but here's the general loop I'm thinking:

Day 1: SF to Trinidad (just north of Eureka) along the coast. Friend has a cabin there to crash in.
Day 2: More coast road to Tillamook/Portland area (alternative: Crater lake and slab to Portland)
Day 3: meeting a friend to hang out and ride near portland.
Day 4: 26 to Mt. Hood, Wind through Maupin, Antelope, then follow 206 to Ukiah
Day 5: Follow highway to 7, cut across north of Boise towards Highway 21 and 75 - No idea where is a good place to stop
Day 6: South to Idaho Falls, Jackson, Grand Tetons loop - again, not sure on crash spot
Day 7: Casper - Wheatland - Laramie
Day 8: Jesus fuck get me off this bike.
Day 9: slab across the plains of boringness to my family in KS

This puts me at about 350 miles/day on riding days, so it's not too strenuous.
https://www.routeyou.com/en/route/vi.../sf-to-laramie

I'd really like to see crater lake, but I'd also like to ride up the coast. Input?
Anything major I'm missing or better routes nearby?
This is pretty much all the time I've got, as it'll put me into my Parents' house on July 4, which was the goal.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #12
bcj
Spagthorpe RA

Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS / SV650
Name:
Out of Ukiah, take Camas St. south in the middle of town.
Turns to NF-052 going over the Blue Mtns.
Stop off in Sumpter to see the gold dredge.
The whole valley below it is furrowed by old tailings piles.

Did this last August in reverse coming back from Ontario for the eclipse.
Baker City is a nice spot to stop off.
There's a local MC meet there every Sept.
Lots of good riding in the area using BC as a base.

Last edited by bcj; 05-07-2018 at 09:40 AM..
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
'd really like to see crater lake, but I'd also like to ride up the coast. Input?
Anything major I'm missing or better routes nearby?
Motorcycle.maps--see my above post. Get them. Oregon's is free. Butler Motorcycle Maps aren't free, but are worth it if you're looking for fun roads.

Oregon coast is beautiful but slow due to lots of little towns and speed limits. There seem to be lots of cops as well (vs. e.g. very few other cars at all and virtually no cops on the remote roads in the eastern part of the state. If you go up the coast, you could head inland at 38 (stop and see the Elk), and make your way to the spectacular McKenzie Pass highway (if it's open) which will take you to Sisters. Search for images of that highway to see if it appeals to you. I may drive up soon to bicycle that road again while it's closed to motorized traffic.

Your friend in Portland doesn't ride? Else have them meet you on the way.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #14
zixaq
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Motorcycle.maps--see my above post. Get them. Oregon's is free. Butler Motorcycle Maps aren't free, but are worth it if you're looking for fun roads.

Oregon coast is beautiful but slow due to lots of little towns and speed limits. There seem to be lots of cops as well (vs. e.g. very few other cars at all and virtually no cops on the remote roads in the eastern part of the state. If you go up the coast, you could head inland at 38 (stop and see the Elk), and make your way to the spectacular McKenzie Pass highway (if it's open) which will take you to Sisters. Search for images of that highway to see if it appeals to you. I may drive up soon to bicycle that road again while it's closed to motorized traffic.

Your friend in Portland doesn't ride? Else have them meet you on the way.
He did ride, but doesn't have a bike anymore .

If a lot of the Oregon coastline resembles the bit of Hwy 1 between SF and HMB, then maybe I'll take a pass and go inland. Too many little towns and too much traffic is no fun. If it's more like the stretch through Marin, then I definitely want to go that way.

Planning on getting the Butler maps, if for nothing else than as backup in case phone doesn't get reception or dies. Have the NorCal one and it's pretty good, but nothing beats actual in-seat experience.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #15
KTMGeoff
Repaired Geoff

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada, GSXR 1000
Name: Geoff
Scott, I ride out to Wyoming every year about the time your headed out there, this year it`s June 23rd., I`ll be outside of Cody Wy. until July ??? This route will get you there in 4 days, if you want to go up the coast 5 or 6 days to Laramie.

Ride thru Yellowstone if you have never been there, be prepared to pass long lines of cars looking at the animals on the side of the road. Should you come up on a herd of Bison in the road, let the cars go first, and be very careful. Animals have the right of way in Yellowstone so be prepared. After that stay away, go around on your way home.

I like to get out of California as quickly as possible, so I slab out to Red Bluff and head out 36, this year a little different, going out by Chico and up.

This route takes you on some great motorcycle roads in Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. If you like I can give you some day rides around Cody Wy., and a good return route back to SF. I have GPX files if you would like them.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/SF,+...41.3113669!3e0

Last edited by KTMGeoff; 05-08-2018 at 01:48 PM..
KTMGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote