BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 11-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
discount18

Motorcycles: dr650
Name:
Mendocino NF Conditions

Has anyone been there since the fires?
The websites says that the OHV trails are all closed, but I've heard positive verbal reports.
What areas are fine to ride? Camp?
discount18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
All areas affected by the fires are closed to the public at this time. That includes all of the Penny Pines/Middlecreek areas (Mendo), Stonyford Mendo), and South Cow Mtn (BLM.) If some one knows officially otherwise, I'd love to hear about it.

Yes, I have seen pics of folks who have ridden in the closed areas and have heard of others. The NF has recently sent posts to various OHV orgs/groups asking to spread the word to not ride in the closed areas. I also live where I have access to all the three of the areas within minutes, but have not done so. Trust me, I am anxious as hell to get riding again. But wont do so until we get the go ahead..... doing otherwise only deteriorates the relationship between OHV's and the NF/BLM staff while giving further ammunition to those folks and forces who would like nothing less than to limit our access in the future.

We have a good relationship with the Cow Mtn BLM and Mendo Staff. See no reason to jeopardize it. This isnt like the standoff at Clear Creek.

Just my opinion, others may vary, do with it what you choose.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Hey CJ, for those of us on dual sport bikes, have you heard if Bartlett Springs or M-10, Elk Mtn/M-1 or FH-7 are open yet?

good point about obeying closures!
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey CJ, for those of us on dual sport bikes, have you heard if Bartlett Springs or M-10, Elk Mtn/M-1 or FH-7 are open yet?

good point about obeying closures!
I believe Bartlett is for sure, though nothing off it is. I'm pretty sure they lifted the permit requirement to drive M1 and M10. But again, everything off them is closed including camping. I dont know about FH 7 (did the fire get that far north?)

Edit: Bartlett, M10, and M1 and everything else is closed with the fire area outlined in the Forest Order. See post below for link
I'll swing by the Ranger office in Upper Lake tomorrow afternoon to confirm.

OP, not to be a debbie downer. All the good riding and camping on the south end of Mendo is still closed. You will want to go further north. Or hit the sierras.

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 11-05-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Cabrito
73% Healed

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Large Orange One | Small Red One (Plated)
Name: Michael G
F7 is open and I read a Mendocino forest release the recommended it.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
So with the closures, what has to happen before they reopen?

Do they need to go thru all the trails/roads and ensure they are clear?
Do they have to give the area 2-3 years for vegetation to grow back?

Are they asking for volunteers to help with any efforts?
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

So I stopped by the Rangers Station in Upper Lake today to chat and get the latest updates. The Mendocino National Forest Order No. 18-18-16 can be read here. Its found on their home page here.

It includes a very detailed description of the closure and includes two maps for folks unfamiliar with the area. It is my understanding that it is ALL closed to travel unless you own property within the closed area and are traveling to or from your property (or on business/official etc). This includes M1/M10/Bartlett Springs Road etc within the closure area.

You may not find barricades or signs, but just like everywhere else in the forest we travel, it is our responsibility to know where we can and cant travel legally. Lack of signage doesnt matter.

The closure is pretty much everything north of Upper Lake to Lake Pilsbury, East to Stonyford, and south nearly Clear Lake. Its a big area, see the maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
So with the closures, what has to happen before they reopen?

Do they need to go thru all the trails/roads and ensure they are clear?

Do they have to give the area 2-3 years for vegetation to grow back?

Are they asking for volunteers to help with any efforts?
Not sure what it will take to reopen or how long it will take. I asked about volunteering and a coordinator and was told the plan is still being formulated. I check back in after some more time has passed.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Thanks CJ!

sounds like Potter Valley to Lake Pillsbury on the west side or Elk Creek/FH7 on the east side are the two closest access points to Mendo from SF right now ...

just gotta finish working on my KLR ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
oobus
Dirt Monger

Motorcycles: KTM 690rarrr and 990Bahaaha
Name: Pinche
When my 990 shows up from your spawning ground John, you are welcome to come up and use the 690 for a trip with me! From my house 20 minutes to FH7 or M4.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
First, thanks for this info!

So sounds like closed for public safety ... but ... is it really unsafe? (I am not going to go ride there, but curious)

Seems it is a reaction ... fire ... close the place down ... we'll sort it all out in the next year or so.

Maybe it is all the smoky soot that would be bad? And no way to remove that, need the rain to soak that in? Or did half burned trees fall all over the place and tons of chainsaw work is needed?

Did they seem like it was much of a priority?
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
discount18

Motorcycles: dr650
Name:
Makes sense. So I guess areas outside of Ranch Fire are fair game. I'll do my trip up around HWY 7.
discount18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
First, thanks for this info!

So sounds like closed for public safety ... but ... is it really unsafe? (I am not going to go ride there, but curious)

Seems it is a reaction ... fire ... close the place down ... we'll sort it all out in the next year or so.

Maybe it is all the smoky soot that would be bad? And no way to remove that, need the rain to soak that in? Or did half burned trees fall all over the place and tons of chainsaw work is needed?

Did they seem like it was much of a priority?
I'm not an insider, the NF employee I was chatting with isnt part of management, and she really didnt have a lot of answers. So I cant really speak to it, but I have a lot of the same questions. I'm ready and willing to volunteer significant time and even take the chainsaw course (if ever scheduled) to make myself even more useful.

She did acknowledge that access is very near and dear to many folks here, myself included.

Supposedly this group is coordinating some efforts with the agencies involved

Post Wildfire OHV Recovery Alliance (PWORA)

But information on a lot of the same questions isnt flowing out of them yet either. I'll have more bandwidth after Baja this winter and may get more proactive then if more info isnt available.

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 11-05-2018 at 11:01 PM..
Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by discount18 View Post
Makes sense. So I guess areas outside of Ranch Fire are fair game. I'll do my trip up around HWY 7.
Areas outside of the National Forest Service order demarked in red are fair game as seen on the map in my link above. Not sure how to attach a pic of the map linked in the order.... but here is a try. Perhaps someone with more skill can do a better job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mendo Closure.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	514699  

Old 11-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + 3%

Motorcycles: xr100 450EXC Montesa Cota 315r Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350
Name: Daniel
Good info CJ! Thanks for making the effort to go see them in person.