BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #16
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
What's the commute? Mostly I-80?

Starting in Dec means starting in the rainy season, do you plan to ride in the rain? Or would you take car for rainy days?

I rode for fun and back roads for many years (like 20) ... then I tried commuting by motorcycle in the Bay Area, like 101, 280 and it felt like the craziest most dangerous thing. You have to be on full alert, total focus, watching out for all the crazy maneuvers people make. I was very thankful for my ~20 years of backroad and dirt bike riding experience. I stopped after a while as I just found it too dangerous and stressful.

Don't mean to be throwing a wrench into your plans/dreams, but a new rider, riding in cooler wetter weather and most likely in the dark, 80 miles a day, in commute traffic ... it is like a 5 strikes against you plan.

If you just gotta do it ... I'd suggest to get a bike, put ~1000 miles on it in non-commute situations. Then on a nice day, in daylight, simulate your commute, make sure all is ok. Basically slowly work your way up to it.
I appreciate your concern. I always value and consider more experienced people advice. I am old enough to understand and appreciate the danger. Also, like many of you here I had to start somewhere and slowly.
One of the reasons I am starting with a used bike and a self imposed limited budget is that I don't know if this is something I can or will do for the longer run.
Thanks
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #17
davidji
bike curious
 
Contributor + + + 1%

Join Date: May 2008
Location: lamorinda
Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
It's tough to make a recommendation with the various constraints (budget, new rider, length of commute), but here are a few bikes I see on CL

FZ6. Range, comfort, and personally I've had great luck with Yamaha. More power than a beginner bike, but IMO a much better choice than a 600 sport bike, and lots of people start on those.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy...746628977.html

CB300F. Range, comfort, great starter bike. Not sure how pleasant they are for a freeway commute, though I see them on the freeway at commute time. Recently I was considering trying one of these to see if I'd like it for my freeway commute. Single-cylinder bikes tend to be fun at lower speeds, but not always great at freeway speeds.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy...747661078.html

Ninja 300. Could be a great choice.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...748937953.html

1st gen Ninja 650R (linked in earlier post). One of those was my reentry bike (after a long hiatus from riding), owned one for 3 years included when I started to moto commute. At least with mine, I think 160 mile/tank was doable. At least on summer gas, not certain with Winter fuel blend though. I did some upgrades, and I think if had had done a few more I would have really liked it. A lot of potential in a budget bike.

FWIW mine died when I got rear-ended in stopped freeway traffic. The cop who responded to the crash asked why I wasn't lane splitting. Not saying you should lane split before you're ready, but be very careful where you stop when you do stop with freeway traffic.
__________________
My Instagram
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #18
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
It's tough to make a recommendation with the various constraints (budget, new rider, length of commute), but here are a few bikes I see on CL

FZ6. Range, comfort, and personally I've had great luck with Yamaha. More power than a beginner bike, but IMO a much better choice than a 600 sport bike, and lots of people start on those.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy...746628977.html

CB300F. Range, comfort, great starter bike. Not sure how pleasant they are for a freeway commute, though I see them on the freeway at commute time. Recently I was considering trying one of these to see if I'd like it for my freeway commute. Single-cylinder bikes tend to be fun at lower speeds, but not always great at freeway speeds.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy...747661078.html

Ninja 300. Could be a great choice.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...748937953.html

1st gen Ninja 650R (linked in earlier post). One of those was my reentry bike (after a long hiatus from riding), owned one for 3 years included when I started to moto commute. At least with mine, I think 160 mile/tank was doable. At least on summer gas, not certain with Winter fuel blend though. I did some upgrades, and I think if had had done a few more I would have really liked it. A lot of potential in a budget bike.

FWIW mine died when I got rear-ended in stopped freeway traffic. The cop who responded to the crash asked why I wasn't lane splitting. Not saying you should lane split before you're ready, but be very careful where you stop when you do stop with freeway traffic.
Thanks, what are your thoughts on ninja 500? Yes I am considering the ninja 650R from the earlier post. Stopped traffic is a real danger and not the only one.
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #19
davidji
bike curious
 
Contributor + + + 1%

Join Date: May 2008
Location: lamorinda
Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelneji View Post
Thanks, what are your thoughts on ninja 500? Yes I am considering the ninja 650R from the earlier post. Stopped traffic is a real danger and not the only one.
Don't really know it. I'd expect a good example to be fine, as long as you can commute twice on it before filling up. No idea about the range.
__________________
My Instagram
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #20
usedtobefast
Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mountain View
Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
A nice (too nice?) GS500 Suzuki is on CL https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...724928693.html

The good thing about this one, it seems super well sorted out, ready to go, buy and ride.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #21
Vexar
Rookie
 
Vexar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SF
Motorcycles: K8
Name: Victor
Found this one seems very nice.
https://merced.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...742694168.html
Vexar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #22
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexar View Post
Thanks very nice bike. I didn't consider ninja 300 at all.
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #23
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
A nice (too nice?) GS500 Suzuki is on CL https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...724928693.html

The good thing about this one, it seems super well sorted out, ready to go, buy and ride.
Another nice bike. I prefer to stay under 2k for my first bike. I know it is a very limiting factor but I had to be very disciplined about it.
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #24
Aware
Veteran
 
Aware's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Jose
Motorcycles: Honda
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelneji View Post
Another nice bike. I prefer to stay under 2k for my first bike. I know it is a very limiting factor but I had to be very disciplined about it.
You could probably get it for $2500. Is likely a better buy than the Ninja. Cheaper to run, cheaper to insure.

Last edited by Aware; 11-15-2018 at 12:18 PM..
Aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #25
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
You could probably get it for $2500. Is likely a better buy than the Ninja. Cheaper to run, cheaper to insure.
OK I will give it a try.
Thanks
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
Biga
Near Miss Racing #96
 
Biga's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Motorcycles: 250 Ninja "A" R3 600 GSXR TS 185 150 Scooter 97cc D. Bug
Name: Rod
To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
__________________
CMRA# 672
Biga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #27
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy
 
mean dad's Avatar
 
AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
Time Machine

Only 4,000 miles, nicely taken care of, rubber parts recently replaced.
Listed at $2500, no one pays asking price on CL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fj1100.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	514950  
__________________
.



.



Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #28
mean dad
Sweet Like Candy
 
mean dad's Avatar
 
AMA #575843
Contributor ++++++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California
Motorcycles: Mike's YSR, if Trump helps.
Name: Golden Boy
Good lookin cruiser, if that's your thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	514951  
__________________
.



.



Fuck around and find out.
mean dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #29
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biga View Post
To go right push on the right bar, to go left push the on left bar. This called counter steering and you learned how to do it when you learned how to ride a bicycle. Use your front brake mainly and use the rear brake lightly. Look where want to go, not where you are going. Always look far ahead and when in traffic behind a car, ride to one side of then lane or the other so you look around the car and see whats going on up ahead. Take your advice from riders who have been riding a long time, the older/wiser the better.

You will crash eventually so get geared up. And remember this, there two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to.

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old and bold riders.
Thanks really appreciate your wisdom. I hope to stay safe. My early morning commute (Sacramento to Fairfield) when I get to do that is with very light traffic. There is some traffic going back around Davis.
I will not start commuting if I do not feel safe and confident. Again I am not not sure if commuting is something I would be doing a lot or at all.
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #30
Angelneji
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sacramento
Motorcycles: Newbie looking for first bike
Name:
Anyone knows of a mechanic/technician in the Sacramento or Roseville area I can take a bike to for inspection? What should I expect to pay for a pre-buying inspection?
Thanks
Angelneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.