BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Couch Racer's Corner

View Poll Results: Predictions For Next Year
Marquez will be the champion...again 7 21.21%
Rossi will find a resurgence to get his 10th title 12 36.36%
Jorge clicks with the Honda immediately and takes it all home 4 12.12%
Dovi finally puts it all together and brings Duc their first championship since Stoner 5 15.15%
Tito Rabat comes back from his injury as a cyborg racing machine and dominates the sport 3 9.09%
Someone else wins. maybe Petrux. maybe Iannone forgets his condom and gives the paddock STDs 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #46
CocoLoco
FN #5

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: CM450C (sold), FJ600 (sold), CBR1000RRx2
Name:
I'm not trying to do either. Figured it was a decent question for racers to speculate on. I have to admit that I sensed it was a topic that has been hashed/re-hashed when I typed it.

My novice view is that faster through sections/turns equals faster around the entirety of the track so the former is the most important. Given that then if you can get an advantage in specific areas/sections/turns you will have a better chance of winning overall.

Perfect people are boring as fuck.
-afm199
CocoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #47
KazMan
2012 Fifty is Nifty Tour!

AMA #2086825
Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
And with all the talk about pros/cons of weight and data retrieved by Michelin all year...they could change construction of the tires just for fun and everyone has to do a reset...which was the demise of Maverick's first year on Yamaha.
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #48
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
Sorry, we're going to disagree.

Sepang is a total duc track and yes, I believe the differences were apparent.
You're correct in comparing two years at Sepang, but you can easily compare the test in Jan to their suck balls performance race weekend. They didn't motor past anyone, they were a non-factor with two giant straights and barely beat the satellites. I think the most notable differences were/are in the corner exit acceleration, hardly measurable by timesheets, but was expressed by the other riders, most notably MM93 after his battle with Dovi in Austria????

You'll believe what you want, but Sepang was the deciding factor for me, and timesheets will not tell the entire story.
this is a good convo, so im down to disagree.

u were deceived by Jorge's 1:58 at Sepang. it showed that Sepang is a Jorge track at best, which we already knew. he was the only Duc with good times for Sepang's flowing sectors. his trap speeds for his fast laps were mediocre actually, suggesting that corner speed is more important than HP even for a track with 2 massive straights.

u havent noticed from previous years how useless the Sepang test is for predicting anything?
1. its a really early test, so teams are still working on base setup. comparing that to one of the final rounds of the year where teams have brought new parts and accomplished tons of development is misguided.
2. riders post their fastest times early in the day during the test because the track is cooler. the races are during the afternoon heat and 2018's race was the hottest session of the weekend.
3. Dovi was "beat" at the Sepang test by Dani. Jorge didnt race. MM was 8th at the test. no one posted more than 4 1:59's in a day. so many data points.

its funny to hear that MM commented on Ducs after PI. MM has likely never battled a Duc on Michelins at PI before 2018. 2016 MM had pulled away before crashing. 2017 Dovi was nowhere and finished 13th. the last time Ducs were up front in PI was 2015 with Iannone, which is meaningless for this convo. apparently I place more importance on track differences than MM when comparing drive performance. he knows how much a track and the tires Michelin brings to each can affect aspect of performance. and to that point, Michelin brings very different tires to PI. weird.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 11-16-2018 at 11:06 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #49
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoLoco View Post
Is it more important to be fastest around the track or fastest through certain sections/turns?
what do u mean by "sections/turns"?

its common for certain riders or bikes to be faster in some sectors and slower in others. sectors contain turns (and straights).

IMO, its really important to be fastest in passing zones. an amazing lap time doesnt mean shit if you are being blocked and are forced to run someone else's slower times. we saw that a few years ago with the Yamaha. their corner speed was great, which led to good lap times. but the Honda was better at braking, so they'd easily pass then block.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #50
CocoLoco
FN #5

Contributor ++

Name:
Probably a poorly worded and thought out question on my part because I am a novice and am feeling my way around in the dark.

-afm199
Old 11-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #51
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

its most important to be fastest for race distance because no one gets points for qualifying or the fastest lap .

there are a million ways to accomplish that and it changes every single race because the track, tires, and weather can be different. so IMO its really difficult to say anything more specific. some races can be all-out from the beginning. other races, the riders have to hold back for a sprint at the end. sometimes, racers baby it through right handers to save tire wear. other times, tire wear doesnt matter much. racing is complicated
Old 11-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #52
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

does Dani have a chance if its wet?

Old 11-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #53
NSR500
すけべ

Motorcycles: Ducati 996 Ducati 748 VFR400/NC30
Name:
Of course WinOrBin wouldn't want a KangarooWerewolf as his test rider.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...toner/3215160/
Old 11-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #54
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

good job by the journalists to bait MM and Puig into say something sensational.

I wouldn't want Stoner testing either. he doesnt live in Europe, isnt around all the time, and would rather be fishing. riding is just a hobby for him now, not a full time job.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #55
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
this is a good convo, so im down to disagree.

u were deceived by Jorge's 1:58 at Sepang. it showed that Sepang is a Jorge track at best, which we already knew. he was the only Duc with good times for Sepang's flowing sectors. his trap speeds for his fast laps were mediocre actually, suggesting that corner speed is more important than HP even for a track with 2 massive straights.

u havent noticed from previous years how useless the Sepang test is for predicting anything?
1. its a really early test, so teams are still working on base setup. comparing that to one of the final rounds of the year where teams have brought new parts and accomplished tons of development is misguided.
2. riders post their fastest times early in the day during the test because the track is cooler. the races are during the afternoon heat and 2018's race was the hottest session of the weekend.
3. Dovi was "beat" at the Sepang test by Dani. Jorge didnt race. MM was 8th at the test. no one posted more than 4 1:59's in a day. so many data points.

its funny to hear that MM commented on Ducs after PI. MM has likely never battled a Duc on Michelins at PI before 2018. 2016 MM had pulled away before crashing. 2017 Dovi was nowhere and finished 13th. the last time Ducs were up front in PI was 2015 with Iannone, which is meaningless for this convo. apparently I place more importance on track differences than MM when comparing drive performance. he knows how much a track and the tires Michelin brings to each can affect aspect of performance. and to that point, Michelin brings very different tires to PI. weird.
I do not feel misguided at all, in fact, I weighed Dovi's performance in my conclusion. You might think my methodology is flawed (which of course it is as some of it is speculative), and that's fine. I think the speed was down compared to the test moreso than the other bikes. The fact is, the Ducati could not get out of corners and down the straights as is the custom. However, other riders, yes including Dani, were on par with their test results. So what gives? Heat? Ok, that's a given. They've still been able to perform in heat prior to Sepang, but they were unable to gap off corners. The videopass helicopter view is always fun to watch Duc's grunt and motor but it just didn't pass the eyeball test this time, but like you said, too many data points.

MM made no comments after PI, I think you got confused when I said Austria???, and it was possibly/probably before then. But MM was wowing about the Ducati's ability to gap coming off the corners, I'm going to use that as a factor in my determination. I'm convinced the extra fuel allowed for minute map tweaking which provided excess grunt. Now, they've had to back it off .06% and I think we both would agree that .06% at this level gets you from podium to pariah.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #56
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
good job by the journalists to bait MM and Puig into say something sensational.

I wouldn't want Stoner testing either. he doesnt live in Europe, isnt around all the time, and would rather be fishing. riding is just a hobby for him now, not a full time job.
I also would want a rider that rides a bike the same way I do and puts stress on the chassis the same way I do.

I don’t remember Stoner being as hard on the front end as MM.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #57
NSR500
すけべ

Motorcycles: Ducati 996 Ducati 748 VFR400/NC30
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I also would want a rider that rides a bike the same way I do and puts stress on the chassis the same way I do.

I don’t remember Stoner being as hard on the front end as MM.
Because the KangarooWerewolf is better than WinOrBin. Apparently he is the only one that can bring home a championship on a Ducati while accelerating with both brakes applied with the throttle.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #58
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
I do not feel misguided at all, in fact, I weighed Dovi's performance in my conclusion. You might think my methodology is flawed (which of course it is as some of it is speculative), and that's fine. I think the speed was down compared to the test moreso than the other bikes. The fact is, the Ducati could not get out of corners and down the straights as is the custom. However, other riders, yes including Dani, were on par with their test results. So what gives? Heat? Ok, that's a given. They've still been able to perform in heat prior to Sepang, but they were unable to gap off corners. The videopass helicopter view is always fun to watch Duc's grunt and motor but it just didn't pass the eyeball test this time, but like you said, too many data points.

MM made no comments after PI, I think you got confused when I said Austria???, and it was possibly/probably before then. But MM was wowing about the Ducati's ability to gap coming off the corners, I'm going to use that as a factor in my determination. I'm convinced the extra fuel allowed for minute map tweaking which provided excess grunt. Now, they've had to back it off .06% and I think we both would agree that .06% at this level gets you from podium to pariah.
I just cant put that much importance on visual anecdotes like a helicopter shot. if its not obvious by now, I didnt see the same "lack of drive" that u did. ive been fooled before and am more skeptical now. maybe comparing helicopter shots from 2017 vs 2018 would be more valid. but of course that assumes that all the bikes improved at the same rate, which def isnt true.

I always mix up reading "Austria" and "Australia". ehh, I read too much into that since I thought u were talking about a comment after Motegi. oh wells.

0.06%? for a 2min lap, thats 0.07seconds per lap or 1.44sec over race distance at Sepang. given that Dovi finished 11sec behind MM at Sepang, that isnt enough to cause the supposed decrease in results. and that was my original point: the difference is small and not likely larger than other variations such as track to track.

Last edited by stangmx13; 11-16-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Old 11-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #59
CocoLoco
FN #5

Contributor ++

Name:
The other 9.56s is the delta in rider ability.

-afm199
Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #60
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
Because the KangarooWerewolf is better than WinOrBin. Apparently he is the only one that can bring home a championship on a Ducati while accelerating with both brakes applied with the throttle.
Pssst.... your Rossi is showing....

Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote