BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy1999 View Post
"Huawei said she faces unspecified charges"

I thought when you arrested someone, the authorities had to say what they were being arrested for. Seems like a human rights violation.
unspecified does not mean "without charges"

from the article
"Meng was granted a publication ban after a judge agreed to bar both police and prosecutors from releasing information about the case."
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #32
Cycle61
What the shit is this...

Contributographer

Motorcycles: yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Everyone else we dont do business with for one.
It would be the international finance equivalent of Jeff Bezos deciding he didn't want to own Amazon shares any more.

Washington sucks and it rains all the time.

If I didn't hurt your feelings, then I retract my apology. - bruceflinch
Cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #33
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
How are they subject to obeying those sanctions? Did they sign them?
Did you sign on the dotted line that you accepted all the laws of this country, when you were born? The US federal government is a sovereign entity and ultimately has the power to enact any law it so wishes.
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #34
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
She and her company are not being charged with violating Iran sanctions, although the U.S. would love to charge everyone that doesn't agree with our policies. She is being charged with FRAUD for lying to U.S. companies that her company was not doing business in Iran. And THOSE U.S.companies could be charged with violating the sanctions.

This reminds me of Willie Clinton and how people didn't understand the charges against him. He was not charged with adultery or having sex in the Oval Office. He was charged with PERJURY, because he lied about being adulterous.
I believe you're right, but I'm not really sure how meaningful the distinction is, in this instance. Everyone knows the federal government brings the hammer down on anyone who tries to evade the sanctions on Iran. The only thing saving her bacon before was the sensitivity of our relationship with China. I'm sure a large number of the Chinese elite are quite nervous about visiting any western country, right now.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #35
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children

Motorcycles: mulletmobile
Name: bobesponja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
So misinformed, China basically backed USA economy after 08and helped pave the road it is today.

USA needs China not the other way around.

If China sold all of their USA bonds today we would be crippled they got like over 3 fukn trillion bro
China needs to keep buying those bonds to keep their currency low. If their currency goes up to much they’ll lose cost advantage.

Support bacteria, it’s the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #36
Killroy1999
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
unspecified does not mean "without charges"

from the article
"Meng was granted a publication ban after a judge agreed to bar both police and prosecutors from releasing information about the case."
Being detained seems wrong and I know I'm not the only American that things that. What if they put the first lady in jail for "unspecified charges".
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #37
nbean16
The Art of Seduction

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Yamaha YZF-600R (sold)
Name: Nick
Quote:
Being detained seems wrong and I know I'm not the only American that things that. What if they put the first lady in jail for "unspecified charges".
Unspecified to the public. Not to the arrested party. Not sure where you are getting that she is being held without charges.
nbean16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #38
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
Did you sign on the dotted line that you accepted all the laws of this country, when you were born? The US federal government is a sovereign entity and ultimately has the power to enact any law it so wishes.
Does she have US citizenship? No. I fail to see why a non-citizen needs to obey US sanctions.

The correct course of action, instead of arresting a foreign national, would be to shut down HuaWei's US operations or bank accounts.
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #39
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Does she have US citizenship? No. I fail to see why a non-citizen needs to obey US sanctions.

The correct course of action, instead of arresting a foreign national, would be to shut down HuaWei's US operations or bank accounts.
I don't think so.

If she doesn't have US citizenship and breaks USA sanctions, then she shouldn't have the privilege of traveling to places that are allied to the USA, as she has found out the hard way.

Happens all the time with criminals, mafia, etc. They get bagged and extradited in a friendly country. Don't see how this is any different.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #40
rodr
IBA # 56746

AMA #: 2846730
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 CB500XA
Name: Rod
I'm curious, would a US CEO be jailed for something like this? Seems like it's more normal for a fat fine to be levied against the corporation.
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #41
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Kinda fucked up that one nation can decide two other nations can't trade with each other and arrest a foreign citizen for doing just that.
If the US decides to send arms to Iran to fund some rebel fighters in Nicaragua they sure as shit aren't going to ask for China's permission.
Not fucked up at all. Any nation is free to trade with any nation, as long as they don't use our banking system to do it. She's not in trouble for trading with Iran; she's (potentially) in trouble for making fraudulent representations to U.S. banks in order to execute those transactions. The U.S. doesn't dictate who can trade with who, only what trading can be done on the U.S. financial system.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #42
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
She requested the charges not be disclosed prior to her bail hearing, which is her right. It wasn't Canada or the U.S. withholding disclosure. And the charges were already common knowledge as the allegations have been out there for a while.

She was arrested on a valid arrest warrant and just because she's Chinese or a senior executive doesn't mean she should be treated any differently. The allegations against her are serious felonies. Do you think Ghosn's arrest in Japan was wrong?

Everyone should just let the court proceedings play out. That said, if Trump intervenes in any way, shape or form to protect her, his chance of reelection will go from slim to none. The best thing that could come of out of this would be for her to be indicted, take a plea with no jail time, and for Huawei products to be banned from import into the U.S.

Last edited by Archimedes; 12-10-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #43
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
i read her hubby offered $11 mill. in bail money ... i wish i had that kinda money lying around just in case i get into trouble

the judge adjourned the case til Tue. we shall see what happens next

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 12-10-2018 at 04:26 PM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #44
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
S...........
The best thing that could come of out of this would be for her to be indicted, take a plea with no jail time, and for Huawei products to be banned from import into the U.S.
Why? Microsoft and google, et al, have been sued in other countries by governments and once they pay and mend their ways, they go on trading. I understand that HuaWei may have backdoors in some products, but I am not convinced others don't have backdoors, also. What other reason would there be, except to show how tough we are with our trade policies? They are not accused of espionage or theft or anything. I am conflicted because of U.S. hypocrisies and minor financial concerns and my Nationalism.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #45
mercurial
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:

She needs to not fraudulently use the US financial system to evade sanctions because... we said so. That's how sovereignty works. Mess with the biggest kid on the block, get slugged.