BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #61
aminalmutha
Amberlamps. Callz 'em.
 
aminalmutha's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Slappin' yer brakes.
Motorcycles: WAT
Name: Balzac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototireguy View Post
A GoFreeMe page has been setup for her release.

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Ar...ee+Scam/24396/

Translation: "Hello, I am MENG Wanzou. Currently, I have been detained by Canadian customs. I have limited use of my phone. Right now CIA is trying to get me into the hands of the US government. I bribed the guard of my room, and urgently need US$2000 to get out of here. Once I am out, I will reward you 200,000 shares of Huawei. I will be good on my word. if you are single, we can also discuss the important thing in life. The guardís name is David, the account number is 52836153836252, swift 55789034. I will be good on my word"
200k shares and possibility of PIIDB? I'm in!
__________________
Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #62
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.
 
clutchslip's Avatar
 
AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corkscrew-me-Carousel
Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Really, do a little research and see if you can find out where Huaweii is alleged to have obtained their original core IP.

Additionally, it has been H that Huawei willingly violated the Iran sanctions and in doing so defrauded financial institutions. If proven, the U.S. should not be a trading partner with them. Also, you do know the Chinese government protects Huaweii against foreign competition in China, right?
How about you do the research and provide some evidence of what you claim? They have not been charged with theft or espionage. The hypocrisy is thick in this post and in the United States. So, the United States hasn't protected Telecom companies in the United States? Huawei spent decades researching and reverse engineering PBX switches, etc. BFD!! Microsoft reversed engineered the Mac OS while developing Windows. Did you throw the bums out?

Google scares me more than Huawai. They have more power and appear to have political subversives.

Here, to get some fact posting started:
Quote:
Telecommunications Act of 1996

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 is the first major overhaul of telecommunications law in almost 62 years. The goal of this new law is to let anyone enter any communications business -- to let any communications business compete in any market against any other. The Telecommunications Act of 1996 has the potential to change the way we work, live and learn. It will affect telephone service -- local and long distance, cable programming and other video services, broadcast services and services provided to schools. The Federal Communications Commission has a tremendous role to play in creating fair rules for this new era of competition. At this Internet site, we will provide information about the FCC's role in implementing this new law, how you can get involved and how these changes might impact you.
__________________
"California: France's Retarded Cousin."
clutchslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #63
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children
 
wazzuFreddo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: norte del Rio Bravo
Motorcycles: mulletmobile
Name: bobesponja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Really? You don't think private jets fly in and out of Vancouver bound for China on a daily basis? Do you know how many Chinese nationals live in Vancouver? If she wasn't under constant guard, she could easily flee Canada and jump bail. And if the charges against her are true, she'd be very smart to do so. The argument that she wouldn't want to shame her family and/or wouldn't risk losing $15 million, when she's facing charges that carry a 30 year prison term is laughable. Let's see, go to the U.S. and maybe do serious jail time, or grab a flight home and let my billionaire daddy pay for a luxe lifestyle for the rest of my life. Hmmm, such a Sophie's choice.
Pretty sure theyíll keep an eye on her and anyone flying her out is risking charges of their own. It isnít that easy.
__________________
Don't Try

Support bacteria, itís the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #64
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights
 
mrzuzzo's Avatar
 
Contributor +

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Gatos Hills
Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
Huawei spent decades researching and reverse engineering PBX switches, etc. BFD!! Microsoft reversed engineered the Mac OS while developing Windows. Did you throw the bums out?
You've got to be kidding me.

For example, Huawei literally stole Cisco's source code, interface, and even product manual text to use in their own product.

There is a difference between theft and "reverse engineering".
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #65
Archimedes
Fire Watcher
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Contributor +1%

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Is Everything
Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
How about you do the research and provide some evidence of what you claim? They have not been charged with theft or espionage.
Where did I say espionage? I said stole IP. Did you forget about this and/or how to click on Google?

https://www.networkworld.com/article...5-minutes.html
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #66
Archimedes
Fire Watcher
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Contributor +1%

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Is Everything
Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo View Post
Pretty sure theyíll keep an eye on her and anyone flying her out is risking charges of their own. It isnít that easy.
Unless she is under guard, she could be gone in less than an hour and the people flying out would never have to return to the U.S., so 'charges' would be a joke. Not saying that she's gonna cut and run, but it would be very easy if she wasn't under guard. And if I were her, I'd be fleeing.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #67
mercurial
Veteran
 
mercurial's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: east bay
Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
It's pretty well known in the tech industry that Huawei built their telecom business on IP theft. I think it was all my Chinese friends at work who first told me about that.
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #68
mercurial
Veteran
 
mercurial's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: east bay
Motorcycles: 09 Monster 1100S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Unless she is under guard, she could be gone in less than an hour and the people flying out would never have to return to the U.S., so 'charges' would be a joke. Not saying that she's gonna cut and run, but it would be very easy if she wasn't under guard. And if I were her, I'd be fleeing.
I would too but the more I think about it, the less likely it seems. The CCP won't allow her to create an incident that throws more fuel on the flame. But also now they can't complain as much about her rights being violated. She gets to sit in her luxury condo as a hostaged pawn, until this plays out.
mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #69
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran
 
mototireguy's Avatar
 
Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Huawei Has Suspected Ties To Front Companies In Iran and Syria...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1P21MH
__________________
* Motorcycle Tire Services @ http://MotoTireGuy.com
* 1064 Revere Ave, San Francisco CA 94124
mototireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #70
Archimedes
Fire Watcher
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Contributor +1%

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Is Everything
Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
How about you do the research and provide some evidence of what you claim? They have not been charged with theft or espionage.
Again, do a little research. It's common knowledge they directly copied patented IP of major U.S. telecom companies, including Cisco, among others, to get their start. You do know that U.S. patents have been basically unenforceable in China, right?

Surprise, Reuters is reporting today that there is fire where there was smoke regarding the Iranian shell companies that Huaweii claims were totally independent...
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #71
fast4d
Veteran
 
fast4d's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA
Motorcycles: 2001 aprilia
Name:
over the last year expats have been leaving in large numbers.

u canadians better get out of mainland china now. they will likely 'selectively' enforce a few laws to detain you.

I wonder if it'll be safe in HK or MC but not likely.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #72
Climber
Veteran
 
Climber's Avatar
 
BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Again, do a little research. It's common knowledge they directly copied patented IP of major U.S. telecom companies, including Cisco, among others, to get their start. You do know that U.S. patents have been basically unenforceable in China, right?

Surprise, Reuters is reporting today that there is fire where there was smoke regarding the Iranian shell companies that Huaweii claims were totally independent...
Patents are only in effect in the country that they're filed in. You have to file for a patent in each country you want protection in. Same with copyright.

The other suck part of it is that the government doesn't enforce your patent, you have to sue violators yourself.
__________________
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #73
aminalmutha
Amberlamps. Callz 'em.
 
aminalmutha's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Slappin' yer brakes.
Motorcycles: WAT
Name: Balzac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Patents are only in effect in the country that they're filed in. You have to file for a patent in each country you want protection in. Same with copyright.

The other suck part of it is that the government doesn't enforce your patent, you have to sue violators yourself.
Right. Sue a government-backed entity in China using the Chinese court system and Chinese lawyers. Good fucking luck.
__________________
Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #74
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.
 
clutchslip's Avatar
 
AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Corkscrew-me-Carousel
Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzuzzo View Post
You've got to be kidding me.

For example, Huawei literally stole Cisco's source code, interface, and even product manual text to use in their own product.

There is a difference between theft and "reverse engineering".
No I am not kidding you. I worked on both the original Mac interface and the original Windows interface. Microsoft had system calls pulled directly from the LIsa/Mac OS, only in all Caps, because DOS was too stupid to understand upper and lower case mixed calls. Direct THEFT - period. Apple allowed the theft because they needed Microsoft business software to legitimize the Macintosh. They needed MultiPlan and Word on the Mac.

The switches developed by Huawei, on the other hand, were the result of taking BELL PBX switches apart and replicating the parts. They still had to build and intergrate the parts. Now for people who stole Cisco innovations. I have a small list, only to be exceeded by Ethernet, etc being stolen from Digital Equipment by the boat load.
__________________
"California: France's Retarded Cousin."
clutchslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #75
OldMadBrit
Veteran
 
OldMadBrit's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: 2017 R1M
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
No I am not kidding you. I worked on both the original Mac interface and the original Windows interface. Microsoft had system calls pulled directly from the LIsa/Mac OS, only in all Caps, because DOS was too stupid to understand upper and lower case mixed calls. Direct THEFT - period. Apple allowed the theft because they needed Microsoft business software to legitimize the Macintosh. They needed MultiPlan and Word on the Mac.

The switches developed by Huawei, on the other hand, were the result of taking BELL PBX switches apart and replicating the parts. They still had to build and intergrate the parts. Now for people who stole Cisco innovations. I have a small list, only to be exceeded by Ethernet, etc being stolen from Digital Equipment by the boat load.
The big difference is that Huawei was started by and its protected by the PRC government. Their entire game plan was to make their devices ubiquitous world wide and thereby gain access to everybody's info. I'm shocked that this is even up for debate.

IP theft by PRC is rampant and coordinated by State institutions. FWIW, there is a battery electrode production line in PRC that is based on designs and specs stolen from my laptop during a visit there in 2009 to close a $20mm licensing deal. Needless to say, we never saw a cent.
__________________
"Sit there, hang on and try not to puke when we are upside down."

Words of wisdom just before my first trip in a 4 man bobsled

"Ding dong the witch is dead"
OldMadBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.