Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #46
fubar929
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: 2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R, 2018 Ducati Supersport S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Yes it is surprising. What does the weight of the battery have to do with it?
With a higher-capacity battery, there's the possibility of powering active electronics, multiple receivers, etc. With a tiny battery that struggles to start the bike (Hello, Multistrada 1200!) you don't have much/any spare power to run a more sophisticated keyless entry system.
fubar929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #47
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Motorcycles: SV650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWobble View Post
Wait! V-stroms die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddywumpus View Post
This is clearly propaganda
It's noticeably down on power to the point that it struggles to keep up with highway traffic two-up, and there's frustrating problems with squishy brakes that I've been chasing for years. Maybe it's an easy fix but I'm just tired of throwing money at it to keep it going. In the last few months I've spent over a thousand dollars on maintenance; Suspension rebuild, chain and sprockets, wheel bearings, brake pads, caliper piston seals, plus the monthly fees for Motoguild and all my time doing it. Of course the smart thing would have been to get a new bike before I spent the money on this one, but oh well. The next suggested attempt at fixing the squishy brakes is calipers, which is another $600.

Not that a new bike will absolve me of those costs, but at least it'll have the convenience features that I want and won't be a frustrating thing to ride every day.
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #48
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFalafal View Post
It's noticeably down on power to the point that it struggles to keep up with highway traffic two-up, and there's frustrating problems with squishy brakes that I've been chasing for years. Maybe it's an easy fix but I'm just tired of throwing money at it to keep it going. In the last few months I've spent over a thousand dollars on maintenance; Suspension rebuild, chain and sprockets, wheel bearings, brake pads, caliper piston seals, plus the monthly fees for Motoguild and all my time doing it. Of course the smart thing would have been to get a new bike before I spent the money on this one, but oh well. The next suggested attempt at fixing the squishy brakes is calipers, which is another $600.

Not that a new bike will absolve me of those costs, but at least it'll have the convenience features that I want and won't be a frustrating thing to ride every day.
will you be keeping it or selling it?
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #49
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
will you be keeping it or selling it?
I don't know. I suspect it would be worth more in parts than selling it, on the off chance that someone out there has a 2nd-gen V-Strom that they're upgrading. Rear shock, forks, master cylinder, few other goodies.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #50
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
Which motoguild? SF or SJ?

Shiet id take it off your hands for free fiddy.

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #51
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddywumpus View Post
Which motoguild? SF or SJ?

Shiet id take it off your hands for free fiddy.
SF. You'd reconsider if you saw it, it's an adventure bike and I adventured it pretty hard. It's been around the country, to the Arctic circle, flogged through the backroads of Death Valley, crashed in every timezone and it's got the dents to prove it.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 AM   #52
fubar929
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
In the last few months I've spent over a thousand dollars on maintenance; Suspension rebuild, chain and sprockets, wheel bearings, brake pads, caliper piston seals, plus the monthly fees for Motoguild and all my time doing it. Of course the smart thing would have been to get a new bike before I spent the money on this one, but oh well. The next suggested attempt at fixing the squishy brakes is calipers, which is another $600.
If $1600 in repairs is causing you to blink, you might want to hit pause on the idea of buying an Italian bike! The "Ducati tax" is very real
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #53
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
SF. You'd reconsider if you saw it, it's an adventure bike and I adventured it pretty hard. It's been around the country, to the Arctic circle, flogged through the backroads of Death Valley, crashed in every timezone and it's got the dents to prove it.
Even an ugly DL650 sells for a fair amount

I guess it's likely that you can get more for it in parts than as a whole, of course that also involves significantly more work
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #54
NoobCorpse
Veteran

Contributor +++1%

Motorcycles: red and orange
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
If $1600 in repairs is causing you to blink, you might want to hit pause on the idea of buying an Italian bike! The "Ducati tax" is very real
To be fair, I think he's lamenting the costs sunk into his older/well-loved bike, but 100% agree w/ you on the realness of the Ducati tax. Even doing partial maintenance tasks oneself instead of 100% dealer work is still expensive, but then you get down to that pesky resale value: I would be wary of ANY Ducati that doesn't have detailed service records and/or dealer documentation, unless I knew the owner / bike ownership history personally.
NoobCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #55
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Hahahahahaha, very valid point. If I do get the bike I'll be buying the warranty and pre-paying for the next six services, so . . . hopefully that'll offset the potential costs somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCorpse View Post
To be fair, I think he's lamenting the costs sunk into his older/well-loved bike
This is mostly it. I've sunk a lot of money into it and it's still got plenty of problems, plus most of the issues with it are chronic that I've been chasing for years. It's a frustrating and un-enjoyable thing to ride, the problems are getting worse and I'm just tired of it. The brakes have sucked since day one and I'm over $1,000 into trying to fix them over the years. The driveline lash has always been sloppy, it likes to pop our of second gear and back into Neutral if you're accelerating hard, the seating position has never really agreed with me, there's endless rattles and squeaks, plus it's noticeably down on power and just feels lethargic.

I bought the bike with 26k and I've spent so long living with these problems that once I got onto a bike that didn't have them, it was jarring just how frustrating of a machine I've been tolerating for the last six years while I was poor and couldn't afford anything different.

I know I'm not making a good case for the bike if I ever try and sell it on here, but I also wouldn't want a barfer to buy it without knowing exactly what's going on.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #56
davidmc
Moto Traveler

Motorcycles: ‘16 BMW R1200GSA, ‘16 Moto Guzzi V7ii Stronello
Name: Dave
OP, have you ridden the BMW R1200GS? Keyless ignition, great for commuting and a nice step up from your Wee Strom. Now that the new 1250GS is out, there should be some decent used ones available. Shaft drive is nice too. I put over 110k on my 2008 GS commuting and it was super reliable.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #57
fubar929
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Hahahahahaha, very valid point. If I do get the bike I'll be buying the warranty and pre-paying for the next six services, so . . . hopefully that'll offset the potential costs somewhat.
It's not just the maintenance that's more expensive; everything is more expensive. I bought an SW Motech rack for my 2003 FZ1. That rack was a pricey $200. The same rack for the 2016 Multistrada 1200S was $300! Here's the best part: the Multi rack actually has far fewer parts than the FZ1 rack. You'll find that lots of aftermarket parts and accessories are more expensive for Ducatis than other brands despite the fact that they aren't substantially different. That's another big part of the Ducati tax...
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #58
mrzuzzo
Loud pipe & bright lights

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
you really don't learn... there is a reason everyone told you in this thread to not buy a Ducati as a commuter.

It's your turn to feel the pain I guess.
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #59
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Owning a Ducati is like owning a helicopter
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #60
UDRider
Leftist apologist.

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
I use my hyper for commuting, but then again I have second bike, and a car. For backup. Also I'll be selling it more then likely. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote