BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Dudur3

Motorcycles: Yamaha R3/ Tracer 900GT
Name: Dudu
riding with a firearm

What is the law of riding with a firearm?
If I want to ride to a shooting range, and I have hard case panniers with locks.
My pistol also have a lock on it.
Is it legal?
Are there any requirements for the panniers?
I have Tracer 900 gt and it comes with stock panniers.
Thanks in advance.
Dudur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
It would have to be unloaded as well, unless you had a CCW permit. It would be legal to transport as long as it's unloaded and in a locked box.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
Dudur3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
It would have to be unloaded as well, unless you had a CCW permit. It would be legal to transport as long as it's unloaded and in a locked box.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, of course i take it unloaded. i will put my gun on one side and the ammo in the other pannier.
My question is, are the Tracer 900 gt panniers doj approved to carry the gun in them on my way to the range.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
No, they are not. Here's an easy way to comply (different sizes are available);

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
Dudur3

Ok, I think my bad English makes it hard on me to explain.
I have my gun case. my gun has a lock on it ( lock goes from the magazine place through the shell exist window.) and in a locked hard panniers. do in need to have the gun in a gun safe even if I have a lock on the gun and a lock on the pannier?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Slow Goat
Fun Junkie

Motorcycles: Make me feel better about life...
Name: Bob
Similar to auto transport; which requires the unloaded pistol be in a locked container in the trunk or compartment not reachable be the driver.

In your case, your key-locked panniers are your trunk. You should be okay. The law only dictates what IS legal, or what isnít. Lockable is lockable.

Weíve had guys ride to the club with ARs in a tactical case slung over their back. Granted those are long guns. Doubt youíll have any problems.
Slow Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Dudur3

Thank you all for the help
Old 01-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
I use a soft pistol case and a TSA padlock. That's all you need. Put it in the pannier and you're good to go.

Also, no need to transport ammo separately. I usually have two loaded magazines in the case with the gun. As long as there is no chambered round in the gun and there is also no magazine in the gun that has even one round in it, you're fine. You can even have an empty magazine in the gun if you want, but I prefer to leave the magazines out.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
No, they are not. Here's an easy way to comply (different sizes are available);

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I didn't think California had such thing as an approved list for secure locked containers.

I'd want the gun in a case inside the motorcycle case, so that you can walk it from the bike to the firing line without it exposed.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I didn't think California had such thing as an approved list for secure locked containers.

I'd want the gun in a case inside the motorcycle case, so that you can walk it from the bike to the firing line without it exposed.
California doesn't have such a list.

And yes, you'll need something for legal transport outside the vehicle.

I use one of these: https://boytharness.com/product/plan...ed-pistol-pad/.

Perfectly legal as long as it's locked. I use a bright red TSA lock from REI. I only rotate the last tumbler one click so I always have quick access.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 01-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #11
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:

No named/approved list- just an example of what's approved (there are others).
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
As far as the locked container thing goes, does the frunk on my NC700X qualify as a trunk or as a "utility or glove" compartment?

It's where you'd expect the gas tank to be. It locks, and I imagine qualifies as secure.

Obviously, if it is a trunk, it could only be used without an extra case if going from my garage to BLM land or similar (where I can park somewhere legal to shoot).
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
As far as the locked container thing goes, does the frunk on my NC700X qualify as a trunk or as a "utility or glove" compartment?

It's where you'd expect the gas tank to be. It locks, and I imagine qualifies as secure.

Obviously, if it is a trunk, it could only be used without an extra case if going from my garage to BLM land or similar (where I can park somewhere legal to shoot).
I think that location isn't clearly defined, so I'd say it's a grey area. With the up front location, it would seem to be as accessible as a locking glove compartment. It's certainly possible that an officer could try to make the case for a criminal charge that would apply the same as it would if it were in a glove compartment in a car.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
The reason guns aren't to be stored in glove boxes or center console, locked or not, is that they are easily accessible while driving. You trunk, being behind you while riding, is not accessible while riding so you're fine. And, if the trunk is removeable and can be in a locked condition while carrying it, you could use it to transport your gun between the bike and your home or other destination, thus avoiding a separate lockable container.

Edit: Just noticed you said "frunk". If it's in front of you, the argument could be made that it's accessible while riding. Weak argument, though. I wouldn't transport that way unless the gun was in its own lockable container. Better in a tail trunk or side bags.

You can also transport in a backpack if it's locked. Or unlocked if the gun is in it's own locked container.

Last edited by ST Guy; 01-21-2019 at 07:45 PM..