BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Merced, CA
Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
The lack of reading comprehension and amount of misinformation whenever a thread like this come up is staggering.
If the op cannot 100% positively determine the bike is a California emissions bike BEFORE going to DMV and the bike turns out to not be California emissions legal and they attempt to register it, then the bike will get the banned from the State letter.

It is a risk. That is why I posted it.
__________________
<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
samgor
Newbie
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SF
Motorcycles: 2015 899 Panigale
Name:
Hey guys, we're veering a bit offtopic, I appreciate the concern but I have researched that the motorcycle can be registered. I'm concerned on wether I ca n drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
What is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr29
Thanks this is very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Look over the bike and make sure it has the EPA label and make sure it is a 50 State bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
The safe bet is to not attempt to register the bike in California until it has over 7500 miles on the odometer... Then you know it is legal to register as a used bike.

If you take the bike to DMV and it is not California emissions legal, you can get the death letter that orders the bike removed from California and it can never be registered in California, ever.

Had a friend that went through this last summer on a Yamaha he bought in Las Vegas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
If the op cannot 100% positively determine the bike is a California emissions bike BEFORE going to DMV and the bike turns out to not be California emissions legal and they attempt to register it, then the bike will get the banned from the State letter.

It is a risk. That is why I posted it.
The motorcycle does indeed have the 50 state bike. I've seen it and cleared it with the seller before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
Moar tax
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
California charges a use tax for vehicles which is based solely on the purchase price. Whether it is new or used had ZERO bearing on the amount.
That's what i've see in the registration tax calculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
The lack of reading comprehension and amount of misinformation whenever a thread like this come up is staggering.
It looks like it
samgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
tgrrdr
мочиться муравьев кальмар
 
tgrrdr's Avatar
 
Contributor

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 37.96° N 122.08° W
Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgor View Post
Hey guys, we're veering a bit offtopic, I appreciate the concern but I have researched that the motorcycle can be registered. I'm concerned on wether I can drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.
I have recent experience with a similar but not identical situation. I bought a truck in Idaho in July. The dealer gave me a temporary Idaho something (it was a numbered paper "plate" in the back window) that was good for 30 days. I drove it to California, went to the DMV a few days later and registered it (long story). On my second visit to DMV (on my first visit I got vehicle verification done and DMV's registration computer system crashed) the woman who was helping me asked if I needed a temporary CA operating permit (I had to take it for a smog check before I could complete the registration). I told her about the thing I had from Idaho and she said I was good to go. As long as you have something official from the state where you bought it I think you'll be fine.

10 years ago or something I bought a used KLR from a private seller in New Hampshire and rode it back to CA. I had his NH plate and registration but nothing in my name (except insurance) until I got to CA five or six weeks and over 5,000 miles later. I had no issues anywhere in the country (was never pulled over so I'm not sure what could have happened). If I remember correctly DMV didn't ask for any paperwork from NH except for the title. I'm pretty sure that was all I had anyway but it was 10 years ago so who knows?
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.
 
TheRiddler's Avatar
 
AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
DMV site says you have 10 days from purchase to register the vehicle, so I'd imagine that you are covered with the docs you have in-hand.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
samgor
Newbie
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SF
Motorcycles: 2015 899 Panigale
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrrdr View Post
I have recent experience with a similar but not identical situation. I bought a truck in Idaho in July. The dealer gave me a temporary Idaho something (it was a numbered paper "plate" in the back window) that was good for 30 days. I drove it to California, went to the DMV a few days later and registered it (long story). On my second visit to DMV (on my first visit I got vehicle verification done and DMV's registration computer system crashed) the woman who was helping me asked if I needed a temporary CA operating permit (I had to take it for a smog check before I could complete the registration). I told her about the thing I had from Idaho and she said I was good to go. As long as you have something official from the state where you bought it I think you'll be fine.

10 years ago or something I bought a used KLR from a private seller in New Hampshire and rode it back to CA. I had his NH plate and registration but nothing in my name (except insurance) until I got to CA five or six weeks and over 5,000 miles later. I had no issues anywhere in the country (was never pulled over so I'm not sure what could have happened). If I remember correctly DMV didn't ask for any paperwork from NH except for the title. I'm pretty sure that was all I had anyway but it was 10 years ago so who knows?
This is useful information. Thanks!
samgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Nick
.
 
Nick's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Join Date: May 2002
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgor View Post
I'm concerned on wether I ca n drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.
Yes.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service
Last edited by Your Mother; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #22
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
 
orbframe's Avatar
 
AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
The lack of reading comprehension and amount of misinformation whenever a thread like this come up is staggering.
this. jeebus....
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #23
NorCalBusa
Member #294
 
NorCalBusa's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: .
Motorcycles: .
Name:
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 01-23-2019 at 07:26 AM..
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
Junkie
gone for now
 
Contributor + 3%

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: n/a
Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
I don't think I've ever had my insurance company ask if I own the vehicle maybe somewhere in the fine print

but for liability coverage I don't see why it would matter
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
 
orbframe's Avatar
 
AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: East Bay
Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?
I have an insured RC51 I don't really own yet
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #26
bojangle
FN # 40
 
bojangle's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator
Contributor

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Bay
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?
I once did the temporary Mexico insurance on a rental car.
__________________
BARF Terms of Service

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #27
samgor
Newbie
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: SF
Motorcycles: 2015 899 Panigale
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?
None of the insurance brokers cared if I owned the motorcycle or not.
samgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #28
NorCalBusa
Member #294
 
NorCalBusa's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: .
Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
I once did the temporary Mexico insurance on a rental car.
Once you rent, its a contractual "interest".
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #29
NorCalBusa
Member #294
 
NorCalBusa's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: .
Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgor View Post
None of the insurance brokers cared if I owned the motorcycle or not.
They never will- they make their money selling. Watch when making a Claim comes around, which they don't handle- the home office does. Little claim, they might just handle it. Big ass claim- hundreds of thousands- I'm not so sure. I could be wrong entirely, just a suspicion.
__________________
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.