Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #16
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
The lack of reading comprehension and amount of misinformation whenever a thread like this come up is staggering.
If the op cannot 100% positively determine the bike is a California emissions bike BEFORE going to DMV and the bike turns out to not be California emissions legal and they attempt to register it, then the bike will get the banned from the State letter.

It is a risk. That is why I posted it.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
samgor

Motorcycles: 2015 899 Panigale
Name:
Hey guys, we're veering a bit offtopic, I appreciate the concern but I have researched that the motorcycle can be registered. I'm concerned on wether I ca n drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
What is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr29
Thanks this is very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Look over the bike and make sure it has the EPA label and make sure it is a 50 State bike
Quote:
The safe bet is to not attempt to register the bike in California until it has over 7500 miles on the odometer... Then you know it is legal to register as a used bike.

If you take the bike to DMV and it is not California emissions legal, you can get the death letter that orders the bike removed from California and it can never be registered in California, ever.

Had a friend that went through this last summer on a Yamaha he bought in Las Vegas...
Quote:
If the op cannot 100% positively determine the bike is a California emissions bike BEFORE going to DMV and the bike turns out to not be California emissions legal and they attempt to register it, then the bike will get the banned from the State letter.

It is a risk. That is why I posted it.
The motorcycle does indeed have the 50 state bike. I've seen it and cleared it with the seller before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aware View Post
Moar tax
thanks!

Quote:
California charges a use tax for vehicles which is based solely on the purchase price. Whether it is new or used had ZERO bearing on the amount.
That's what i've see in the registration tax calculation.

Quote:
The lack of reading comprehension and amount of misinformation whenever a thread like this come up is staggering.
It looks like it
samgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #18
tgrrdr
мочиться муравьев кальмар

Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgor View Post
Hey guys, we're veering a bit offtopic, I appreciate the concern but I have researched that the motorcycle can be registered. I'm concerned on wether I can drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.
I have recent experience with a similar but not identical situation. I bought a truck in Idaho in July. The dealer gave me a temporary Idaho something (it was a numbered paper "plate" in the back window) that was good for 30 days. I drove it to California, went to the DMV a few days later and registered it (long story). On my second visit to DMV (on my first visit I got vehicle verification done and DMV's registration computer system crashed) the woman who was helping me asked if I needed a temporary CA operating permit (I had to take it for a smog check before I could complete the registration). I told her about the thing I had from Idaho and she said I was good to go. As long as you have something official from the state where you bought it I think you'll be fine.

10 years ago or something I bought a used KLR from a private seller in New Hampshire and rode it back to CA. I had his NH plate and registration but nothing in my name (except insurance) until I got to CA five or six weeks and over 5,000 miles later. I had no issues anywhere in the country (was never pulled over so I'm not sure what could have happened). If I remember correctly DMV didn't ask for any paperwork from NH except for the title. I'm pretty sure that was all I had anyway but it was 10 years ago so who knows?
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Yep
Quote:
DMV site says you have 10 days from purchase to register the vehicle, so I'd imagine that you are covered with the docs you have in-hand.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
samgor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrrdr View Post
I have recent experience with a similar but not identical situation. I bought a truck in Idaho in July. The dealer gave me a temporary Idaho something (it was a numbered paper "plate" in the back window) that was good for 30 days. I drove it to California, went to the DMV a few days later and registered it (long story). On my second visit to DMV (on my first visit I got vehicle verification done and DMV's registration computer system crashed) the woman who was helping me asked if I needed a temporary CA operating permit (I had to take it for a smog check before I could complete the registration). I told her about the thing I had from Idaho and she said I was good to go. As long as you have something official from the state where you bought it I think you'll be fine.

10 years ago or something I bought a used KLR from a private seller in New Hampshire and rode it back to CA. I had his NH plate and registration but nothing in my name (except insurance) until I got to CA five or six weeks and over 5,000 miles later. I had no issues anywhere in the country (was never pulled over so I'm not sure what could have happened). If I remember correctly DMV didn't ask for any paperwork from NH except for the title. I'm pretty sure that was all I had anyway but it was 10 years ago so who knows?
This is useful information. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
I'm concerned on wether I ca n drive it on the road with the paperwork I have.
Yes.
Last edited by Your Mother; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 PM   #22
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
Quote:
this. jeebus....
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #23
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 01-23-2019 at 07:26 AM..
NorCalBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #24
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
I don't think I've ever had my insurance company ask if I own the vehicle maybe somewhere in the fine print

but for liability coverage I don't see why it would matter
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
How did you obtain insurance when you aren't the title holder or the registered owner (no "insurable interest")?
I have an insured RC51 I don't really own yet
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #26
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
I once did the temporary Mexico insurance on a rental car.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #27
samgor

Name:
Quote:
None of the insurance brokers cared if I owned the motorcycle or not.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM   #28
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
I once did the temporary Mexico insurance on a rental car.
Once you rent, its a contractual "interest".
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #29
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Name:
Quote:
None of the insurance brokers cared if I owned the motorcycle or not.
They never will- they make their money selling. Watch when making a Claim comes around, which they don't handle- the home office does. Little claim, they might just handle it. Big ass claim- hundreds of thousands- I'm not so sure. I could be wrong entirely, just a suspicion.