BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Notices

Old 08-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
rrrdbw
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Gsxr 750 (RIP), 2010 690 SMC (RIP), 2017 BMW R1200 GSA (RIP) 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
Name: Sassy
Help with control on trackbike

Hello racers

Picked up a sweet trackbike. 2009 zx6r with lots of goodies already prepped for track. Not new to trackday but not familiar with track only bike.

Question- I have 2 control on left clipon I am not familiar with. TC up arrow NO TC down arrow. I am assuming this is traction control and to turn off and on is with toggle switch far right.

To the left of toggle is blue knob that has numbers above it. I take it that's some sort of fuel mixture I am guessing. Bike has Bazazz fuel tuning the cpu flashed and dyno tuned. Full M4 exhaust.

Will be taking to trackday the 17th. She has been sitting for over a year in garage. Dead battery. Starts up and growls like a beast.
Have Pireli Diablo Superbike slicks dated 2016 looks good but will probably order new tires. (recommendation for cheap trackday only tires? Will Q3 work, I run A group middle of pack )

Fresh oil and liquids, brakes needed bleeding they are fine now.

Anything else I should check before I take her out on track?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210804_154245284~2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	545308  
Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
The blue dial is to "dial" the TC depending on how intrusive you want it to be. If it were me, I'd give it a shot without TC first and then start to add it in. Plenty of fast 600 riders are not using TC.

For tires, if you're mid-A group, I'd recommend being on a proper track tire. The Q3 or Q4 would be fine, but may hold you back a bit. Use warmers if you do go the track tire route as they'll extend the life of them.

Get your suspension setup at the track for you and have fun.
FourThreeSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
That's probably the Bazzaz rate-of-change TC - the switch and dial as FourThreeSix said. It looks for spikes in RPM that may indicate the tire spinning and cuts spark and maybe fuel to reduce power. I've heard mixed reviews on its usefulness. It's nowhere close to as functional as modern IMU wheel speed TC. If you ever actually feel it cut power, it's probably slowing you down.

+1 to real track tires for a track-only bike

If the bike is using a non-glycol radiator fluid, you should make sure to include that in your fluid changes. WaterWetter dries and turns into an abrasive that can destroy water pump seals. So annual flushes are a good idea.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
rrrdbw
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Gsxr 750 (RIP), 2010 690 SMC (RIP), 2017 BMW R1200 GSA (RIP) 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
Thanks for the reply.

Here's a dumb question. I want to do all this before i take to track , I dont want to learn there

I get that the toggle and the dial is for the TC. How do I know if the TC is on or off? The toggle up/down not sure if up is down or off. Will I see something in the dash? I ask because my battery doesn't come till tmrw to fully test. If it doesn't show in dash/console, how do i know if its on or off if i drive it around the neighborhood?

Just ordered Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP V2 from STG, good deal on a set. $50 buck more for the V3, I think I will be fine on V2.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Oh. You'll need to follow the switch and the amazing sticker on the bar. Bazzaz does sell a "TC Active" light that can be mounted on the bike that shows when the TC actually kicks in. But there won't be any indication on the dash that the system is enabled. Bazzaz has plenty of support info on their website, including for their software and its use.
https://bazzaz.net/product/kawasaki-zx6r-600-09-12/

It's cool the PO actually put that sticker there. I bought a bike with a few diff engine braking and TC maps and the PO couldn't tell me which way was which for the switches . It took me forever to find out.

Last edited by stangmx13; 08-04-2021 at 12:25 PM..
Old 08-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
rrrdbw
Veteran

Holy crap. The more I look into this bike the more. I am convinced I got a hell of a deal. I was just expecting a 09 zx6r with track plastics. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to research this bike. Off to YouTube I go to learn.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
The Bazazz software will allow you to turn off the TC. It's pretty worthless in any case. The switch is usually a two map switch, and the software will let you look and see about that. The software is downloadable at Bazazz site. As mentioned, the dial adjusts the TC.

I just turned my TC to minimal on my 1000.

Last edited by afm199; 08-04-2021 at 06:14 PM..
afm199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:40 AM   #8
scratchpad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bagger
Name:
http://www.armyofdarkness.com/index....action-control

Years ago AOD did a write up on the Bazzaz TC. Theres a 0 on the TC dial to basically turn it off. Switch is for 2 seperate maps. Download the software on a laptop and plug into your Bazzaz piggyback. You will be able to see the TC maps and fueling maps etc. Toggle the switch back and forth while connected to see which way is what. Its not an easy system to setup.

Bazzaz has excellent customer service. Subham is a great resource when calling in to tech support. Call him and hell break it down to you.
scratchpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:48 AM   #9
rrrdbw
Veteran

Thanks for the info guys. After some research and downloaded software. I was able to see the custom maps. First thing I did was save all 3 maps in case I accidentally make changes.

I was able to plug laptop and play with software. I am familiar with Power Commander mapping I kinda understand. I did notice that this bike even though it has Z Fi TC Quick Shift it does not have the Quick Shift connections on the shift linkage(attack restart) , I assume it was damaged and never replaced. I see the Quick shift map on software.

Main take away when I plugged laptop I was able to see that theTC on/off marking on clip on were correct. Which means I will turn off and concentrate on riding new bike ( to me) at track. Maybe after a couple trackdays I can start experimenting.

Thanks again BARf. Good to have knowledgeable motorcycle folks to reference. I'm in Middle America now and things work differently ova hea
Old 08-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
+1 to real track tires for a track-only bike

If the bike is using a non-glycol radiator fluid, you should make sure to include that in your fluid changes. WaterWetter dries and turns into an abrasive that can destroy water pump seals. So annual flushes are a good idea.
Always track tires.

That WaterWetter issue is news to me. I even use it in street bikes. Thanks for the heads -up.

Last edited by clutchslip; 08-05-2021 at 04:05 PM..
clutchslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:52 AM   #11
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I ran Bazzaz's stuff for years. It's good stuff. I never used the TC all that much because it would slow me down about .5 seconds/ lap or so, but when the tire would start to grease up, I'd turn it on from time to time.

The switch is a dual map switch. I ran the same map in both sides of the switch, but one had TC active and the other was TC off. The knob dials TC in (+) or out (-) of the base map (whatever one is active via the dual map switch). Where your map shows numerical value for the TC map, each (-) position away from "0" on the blue bar dial lessens the TC map values by "1". Same goes for adding TC on the positive side of the dial. It's almost impossible to change this while riding hard, hence how I set my dual map switch up.

You may want to check the map and make sure it's not set up for a different fuel than you're running, etc.

You shouldn't need a visual element to know of the TC is kicking on (it's rate of change, as Robert explained...anticipatory, not actual TC). You won't need anything but your ears; you can hear it going off. It's sounds like a pop corn popper when it's active. If you can, I'd run it in the beginning for sure and slowly, dial it down/ off, not the other way (not running it and coming back to it later). But that's just me...it does provide a reasonable safety element.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
Always track tires.

That WaterWetter issue is news to me. I even use it in street bikes. Thanks for the heads -up.
Ya I lost 2 water pump seals over the years until my engine builder told me about WW turning into an abrasive - one street bike and one track bike. I think letting the bikes sit may exacerbate the issue.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
I had a Bazzaz TC setup on my R6 trackbike (since removed) and found that the aftermarket traction control is nowhere near as good as those systems from today's manufacturers. I also find the need of TC questionable on middleweight bikes...they aren't the torque monsters that literbikes are known for.

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo

Last edited by Hooli; 09-24-2021 at 11:42 AM..
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
kxmike
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2021 KTM 890R,2018 KTM350xc-f, 2017 r6, 2017 KTMrc390, 2014 Ducati Hypermotard sp, 03 Cannondale 460
Name: mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Ya I lost 2 water pump seals over the years until my engine builder told me about WW turning into an abrasive - one street bike and one track bike. I think letting the bikes sit may exacerbate the issue.
I've heard that about coolants with silicate in them ..but I didn't thing WW had any in it. I've been using WW with distilled water for years in street and track bikes and have never had any issues....and I don't flush systems that often. Still, I'm curious now...I'll have to look in to it deeper!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #15
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxmike View Post
I've heard that about coolants with silicate in them ..but I didn't thing WW had any in it. I've been using WW with distilled water for years in street and track bikes and have never had any issues....and I don't flush systems that often. Still, I'm curious now...I'll have to look in to it deeper!
Ditto. Been using water wetter for close to thirty years with zero problems. With ONE exception. Made the mistake of using a short piece of copper pipe in the system.

Not only did it rot holes in the radiator, it stunk. Aluminum plus copper in a cooling system is a big no no.