Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 02:43 AM   #16
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Plenty of Pro's and Con's to be read on the subject. Seems to be a lot fewer pro's sporting them, but we aren't them and never will be. Ultimately a personal decision.

I tried one for a day at Carnegie almost 10 years ago, and it wasn't comfortable, felt it was a distraction.

Only place I've reconsidered over the years is maybe the desert where speeds are higher and the consequences brutal. For most of my riding, I'm simply not going that fast, or pushing myself where I feel the need.

Everyone is different. Some folks won't ride without every possible piece of safety gear available, from neck brace, upper body compression suit armor, knee braces, to $800 boots.

In the dirt, I'm a simple elbo pads under the jersey and knee pucks under the pants kinda guy. It's what I'm comfortable riding in and I don't over heat as easily.

Meets my perceived level of risk/reward when it comes to protection. If there was some sort definitive answer/study, I might reconsider in the desert. Has worked for me over the last 4 plus decades in the dirt.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-17-2021 at 02:45 AM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #17
gixxerjeff
Optimistic Underdog

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Your post makes a lot of sense, CJ. I seem to agree with all of it.
I like your accurate use of the word "distraction".....and I do most of my riding at Carnegie.

You must be fast because I was hauling ass when I passed you.

Rich Cox
I miss you Rich.

Last edited by gixxerjeff; 09-17-2021 at 04:57 PM..
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote