BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
Larry D

Motorcycles: BMW 1250GSA
Name:
Adventure gear

I recently purchased the 2019 BMW 1250 GSA. I want to outfit it with good equipment. I am looking for recommendations for a tail pack that is waterproof, and a tool roll. I would like to know why you recommend these and what tools or gear you add to the bags. I currently have a set of GIVI aluminum cases and a tank bag.

Any help you can provide would be great. I am planning on taking the adventure training classes next year but will be going on a couple of longer rides just form fun.

Thanks
Larry
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor + 2%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC-F
Name: Alex
I am a big fan of Mosko Moto gear, it's very rugged and versatile. I use the Stinger 22 and Stinger 8 as tail packs and the Pinner tool roll. They also have a Fatty tool roll that's bigger if it suits your needs better, tho I prefer to pack lighter when off road.

If you are looking for an even bigger tail pack they have the BC 30/40 duffles, R40/R80 rackless tail bags, and the BC panniers. All of which are more rugged and better designed than Giant Loop, which is another popular brand in the segment.

Congrats on your purchase and hope you have many wonderful adventures.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Larry D

Motorcycles: BMW 1250GSA
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
I am a big fan of Mosko Moto gear, it's very rugged and versatile. I use the Stinger 22 and Stinger 8 as tail packs and the Pinner tool roll. They also have a Fatty tool roll that's bigger if it suits your needs better, tho I prefer to pack lighter when off road.

If you are looking for an even bigger tail pack they have the BC 30/40 duffles, R40/R80 rackless tail bags, and the BC panniers. All of which are more rugged and better designed than Giant Loop, which is another popular brand in the segment.

I have been looking over several iterations of tail packs and tool rolls and all I got was confused.

I like the Mosko Moto BACKCOUNTRY 40L DUFFLE/PACK. I seems like all bases are covered. I will be installing a tool box to hold the tool roll and spares bags behind the Givi hard case on the left side. I would love to meet up with you some day and talk bikes, equipment, etc. I live in Boulder Creek near Santa Cruz
Larry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #4
Guoseph
Veteran

Contributor + 2%
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Husqvarna 701E, KTM 250 EXC-F
Name: Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry D View Post
I have been looking over several iterations of tail packs and tool rolls and all I got was confused.

I like the Mosko Moto BACKCOUNTRY 40L DUFFLE/PACK. I seems like all bases are covered. I will be installing a tool box to hold the tool roll and spares bags behind the Givi hard case on the left side. I would love to meet up with you some day and talk bikes, equipment, etc. I live in Boulder Creek near Santa Cruz
Lots of choices out there.

A BC 40 is kinda wide but you also have a pretty wide Adv bike.

It sounds like you want to use the tail bag in addition to your current hard case set up? Something wide might make it hard to open your side panniers, but on the other hand side panniers provide an excellent base for a wider tailbag.

Maybe take the Adv class first and see what other people are packing, a lot of folks end up ditching their hard cases if they start doing off road, it changes the whole luggage setup dramatically.

I'm in Alameda and unfortunately don't make it down to Santa Cruz that often. I also have a smaller bike and may not have the same use case as you, though I am very familiar with the Mosko product line (no affiliation, just a fan). Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat sometime.

Alex
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #5
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
I have the giant loop big basin. I used to carry a tool roll and tubes and stuff but I had to ditch my pannier racks because I bent my subframe. With the giant loop it moves the weight closwe to the center of the bike so you frame won't cry when you ride it in the rough stuff. I find clever places to stash tools like in a tank pannier. In a pencil case inside the giant loop and some in my backpack.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
MtnRider
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '07 GSA '12 GSA '01 748S, '00 VFR, '73 V7 Sport (Dad's bike)
Name: Sam
I too am a fan of Mosko. I've got a few of their items and have had zero issues. My main goto bag is the backcountry 40 that fit perfectly on my GSA and when to Prudhoe Bay and back. I also used it as checked luggage with all of my gear to South America and back. I would not hesitate to purchase this again. If you can pack small enough you can run without side bags.

I too have their tool rolls (yes both of them), hood tank bag and a few other items. Excellent customer service and top quality.

You can't go wrong with them or Giant Loop as HadesOmega mentioned.

Sam

The adventures of my buddy and I.....man love at its best
Instagram Facebook
MtnRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: BMW R1250GS Adventure begins, mang!
Name: SweeperBot
I scavenge BARF and ADVRider.com for gear.

Don't buy at retail prices unless you absolutely have to.

I just picked up a Mosko Scout 25L duffle, I bought an AltRider Horizons pannier set, and I've got dibs on a Mosko tool roll (large) from a BARFer.

Keep your eyes on the "Gear for Sale" & such, there are great deals out there.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat

"I am kind to people, but arguments are owed no mercy." Unknown savant
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #8
Schissels

Motorcycles: 09 Street Triple
Name:
is there a local shop that stocks Mosko Moto gear? Prefer to see/touch firsthand rather than order online.
Schissels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
Quahog
Quahog

Motorcycles: DL650 Tiger 1050 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post

A less feature-rich (but also cheaper) alternative that has worked well for me is the SW Motech dry bag series duffels. I have a 35L duffel that fits nicely across the back of my VStrom. It holds a lot, is waterproof, and has a 4-strap attachment system that makes it easy to get it on and off the bike.
Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote