Notices

Old 07-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
Lowerside
Rookie

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: SV650 Daytona 675R
Name:
10 Million Tiny Explosions in 2 Days

I finally got around to doing my Saddlesore 2000 run last weekend. This was originally planned for 2020, but I donít know, it felt like something happened last year that turned me into a shut-in. Who knows man.

The last time I did something like this was my SS1000 run in 2019. Similar to that run, I managed to book my vacation time right at the peak of a summer heat wave, so at the very least I had an idea of what I was getting into this time. Iím a lot less fit than I was in 2019, but I figure that I'm also way better and more experienced of a rider than I was back then and I'd compensate by being more relaxed on my bike than I was previously.

I prepped up my bike the week before the ride. Iím taking the 300 as it was the same bike that I did the SS1000 with and thereís a masochistic part of me that stubbornly wants to do difficult things with inappropriate equipment. Learning from 2019, I brought a spare bottle of oil to compensate for the bike burning it at high RPMs and installed some Oxford heated overgrips for what I assumed to be two cold evenings.

I take off from San Bruno on Saturday at 6:30AM. The first leg out from the bay area to the border of Nevada was relaxing and uneventful. I left early to avoid any local traffic and I had a straight shot through Sacramento and into Tahoe. This is the first time I rode a bike through I-80 in the Tahoe area and it was pretty fun when there were no other cars there! The 300 struggled going uphill in elevation, but it was fine as long as I kept my momentum.

After I passed Reno, I started feeling the heat. It was the morning and the sun was shining bright. By the time I hit Valmy, I started dunking my neck buff and myself in water at every gas station and rest stop that I stopped at to keep myself cool. I had to pull over to the side a couple of times to down a bottle of water when I noticed that I was getting dehydrated and grumpy for long stretches. Overall though, I didnít think that it was too bad but maybe it was because I was still fresh.

I-80 was mostly a boring road, but I gotta admit that the views were nice. Seeing such a massive, open field really makes you feel small. I also finally saw the Bonneville Salt Flats, which I didnít realize was in Utah. Likewise, I laughed when I passed by the Rocky Mountain ATVMC warehouse because it was a familiar logo and I also didnít realize that they were here.

I make my way South of Salt Lake City and head East on I-70 when I reach Salina. It was getting dark, but it was surprising to me that it was still pretty hot all things considered. As I went through the interstate, it got dark enough that I couldnít really see anything other than the road in front of me. My night vision isnít what it used to be and this would normally mean that I'd be slowing way down here, but thankfully I was in a pack of cars going the same way and I kept my pace by sticking with them and using their headlights.

I stop by the Kum and Go (heh) in Silt and strike a conversation with another rider there plus the station attendant. Turns out that heís from out of the country (Puerto Rico IIRC, but I'm not 100% certain that I remember it right) and heís doing his own MC trip. I talk about how I'm coming from San Francisco and heading my way to Denver which made the attendant laugh about how painful of a ride that is. I asked the other rider where heís heading off and we found out that heís coming from New York and is doing a straight shot to Los Angeles. We laugh and talk a bit more before heading our separate ways.

This is where it got a little sketch for me. It finally started getting cold so I layer up with all the layers that I have. I smirk a bit as I turn on my new heated grips, beaming with the thought of having actually prepped for the cold for once. However, that smile quickly faded away as I learned that all of my cold weather setup isnít enough for the conditions that I was in. I end up taking an exit every 10-30 minutes to stop and warm up by just jogging in place. By the time I hit Vail around 4AM Sunday, I conceded that it was getting too cold for me to keep going and I stopped at the rest stop pictured above (but when it was still dark). I picked a bench where people werenít walking by and took a power nap.

I woke up less than an hour later when the sky began to turn a lighter shade of blue. With the sun rising, I figured that the temperature should do the same soon so I saddle back up and continue on my way. As I make my way onward, visibility begins to improve, the weather starts to get milder, and my spirits start to get lifted.

I reach my gas station destination in Denver and fill up. With little fanfare, I got back on the bike, turned around, and started making my way back to the West. With better lighting conditions and with my mood being much better than it was when I was freezing, I actually got to enjoy the Colorado scenery. The mountains are gorgeous and made the ride back up very scenic and pleasant. Unfortunately, it wouldnít last and I eventually got back to the more desert-y part of my route.

From Silt onward back West, it once again got very hot and unlike Saturday, I was a little worn. Dehydration was kicking in much quicker than the day before and I was stopping way more often to chug water and pour some on myself to cool me down. This is when I noticed that some of the rest stops had their water fountains turned off which prevented me from refilling my water bottles. The combination of the heat and having to stop to hydrate way more often was a little demotivating. Even checking out some of the scenery at the rest stops only helped a little bit.

I hit the wall right as I pulled out of the gas station in Tooele for my last 100 miles. This is when I finally feel that I'm actually kinda tired from riding for the last 40-something hours. I quietly curse in my helmet that I should have gotten a throttle lock instead of heated grips and loudly curse at how in spite of being completely dark and pretty late in the evening, it was still hot as fuck. At this point, I've been pulling over every 5 to 10 minutes to chug water and have lost my momentum.

My music in my helmet suddenly cuts off and I realize that my phone decided to just restart itself. I pulled into the first rest stop that I could to take a breather and reinitialize my map directions. Thatís when I saw that I'm 10 miles off from Wendover and finally finishing this, and I go from being irritated and tired to incredibly happy and awake! I quickly re-gear back up and gun it out of the rest stop.

I reach Wendover shortly past midnight and make my way to the Chevron. I triumphantly gas up, take my last odometer reading picture, and start looking on my phone for places to stay in the area. I saw that Motel 6 had a room available and was pretty cheap so I rolled my way there. I unpack, shower, crank that A/C to the max, and lay down for a good nightís rest. I end up staying awake and reminiscing about the last two days before finally passing out probably at around 4AM on Monday.

In total, the ride lasted 42 hours across 2100 miles. The bike chugged down 1.5 bottles of oil along side the gas from around 20 gas stations. The CBR was pinned or very close to it for 95% of that distance.

Whatís next?

Assuming that I didnít mess up my submission to the IBA for this ride, I have my sights on the SF -> NY 50cc challenge. As much as I like the idea of doing it with this bike, I've been wanting to get into trying out some more dirt/trail riding for a while now. Between my 3 bikes, this CBR is the one that Iíd sell to make room for a more dirt capable ride. Since Iím not planning on doing the long trip next year, I have a lot of time to think about what I want to do next. Maybe if the cards fall just right, I might attempt it with a similar bike in the CRF300L Rally?
Lowerside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #2
mjj
Cookie

Contributor +++1%

Motorcycles: '05 R1200RT; '09 F800GS; Ibis Mojo
Name: Mark
I assumed average speed of 65 mph and average rpm of 5500, which gave me 10 million revolutions. But doesn’t the ignition fire every other rev? It’s a single, right?

But I am NOT here to bust your chops. That’s an amazing achievement and a really fun trip log. Thanks for posting.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: BB F750-GS
Name:
Great story, congrats on your run!
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Great story. Not sure I would have had the forethought to take pics and such...

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017, 2021
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
In total, the ride lasted 42 hours across 2100 miles. The bike chugged down 1.5 bottles of oil along side the gas from around 20 gas stations. The CBR was pinned or very close to it for 95% of that distance.
just love you did this on your CBR300, so cool!

did my IB stuff on a cheap used EX500 thirty years ago, but you’ve got me beat. I never did anything like 2100 miles in 42 hours, either. wow. small bikes rule ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
N4teTheGreat
Haply

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Props for that ride, I kinda want to do one of these, but I kinda don't want to spend that much time on highways :-)
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #7
Lowerside
Rookie

Contributor ++++ 2%

Name:
Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjj View Post
I assumed average speed of 65 mph and average rpm of 5500, which gave me 10 million revolutions. But doesnít the ignition fire every other rev? Itís a single, right?

But I am NOT here to bust your chops. Thatís an amazing achievement and a really fun trip log. Thanks for posting.
Oh wow, I had a total brain fart! Can't believe I forgot how a 4 stroke works

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

did my IB stuff on a cheap used EX500 thirty years ago, but youíve got me beat. I never did anything like 2100 miles in 42 hours, either. wow. small bikes rule ...
Hell yeah small bikes come with big hearts
Old 07-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017, 2021
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerside View Post
Hell yeah small bikes come with big hearts
haha, you bet ... gonna steal that line!

forgot to say, cool thread title ... I didn't do the math.

looking forward to your CFL300 Rally Ironbutt adventure ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #9
mjj
Cookie

Contributor +++1%

Motorcycles: '05 R1200RT; '09 F800GS; Ibis Mojo
Name: Mark
Quote:
Can't believe I forgot how a 4 stroke works
I can't believe you can function at all after 40 mind- and hand- numbing hours on a buzzing hornet.
mjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #10
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances

Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

did my IB stuff on a cheap used EX500 thirty years ago, but youíve got me beat. I never did anything like 2100 miles in 42 hours, either. wow. small bikes rule ...
I totally agree! I guess for fuel efficiency, that's the way to go. That's some serious mileage, to do it on a sport bike is the part I'm impressed with. I've ridden to LA from the bay on a sport bike (CBR600) and said "Nope! not doing that again!". I've been riding for 37 years now, I'm all about the comfort now. If I'm doing anything more than 20 miles I take the KLR650, anything more than 50 miles I take the Harley Electra Glide, and even with all the comforts of the Harley I STILL don't think I'm ready to make 2100 miles in 42 hours, heck I just rode to Big Sur today from Alameda (only 136 each way) and my butt was sore coming back.

Thank you for sharing, that's an awesome read. Hit me up, I'd love to buy you a Jamba Juice and hear your story!

BTW, I have a 50cc scooter, well...."80cc" now, but I would be VERY interested in reading about your sf -> ny 50cc challenge

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #11
Lowerside
Rookie

Contributor ++++ 2%

Name:
I wish I could say that it was on a full blown sports bike! The 300R was just slightly more aggressive than an SV650 so it's closer in rider triangle to a naked but with fairings. I might be able to stomach that kind of distance with my Daytona, but i'd probably need to lie down for a week afterward I will eventually embrace my Gold Wing future, but not just yet!

I got up to Alice's semi-infrequently to at least use it as a rest stop. If you plan on being there on one of the weekends, lemme know and we can hang out. I love Jamba, but man I need to lose a couple of pounds right now
Old 08-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #12
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Dude your nuts!!!!!

Love it.

Thanks for sharing.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #13
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances

Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
Quote:
I will eventually embrace my Gold Wing future, but not just yet!
I donít think Iíll ever be ready for another Goldwing! The Goldwing is the most dangerous bike Iíve ever owned, and Iíve had 2 turbo charged hayabusa, current one is not turbo, but is nitrous injected.

Picture this, riding back from vegas on your Goldwing, you adjust the air ride so it feels nice and squishy, you turn on your seat and grip heaters, adjust your radio to your favorite playlist, set the cruise control and set off down the road. Next thing you know *VIBRATION!!!!* thatís the road markers! Yup! FELL ASLEEP!! The bike was so comfortable, I fell asleep. That has NEVER happened on any of my Harley touring bikes, and Iíve done quadruple the miles.

To anyone riding a Goldwing, youíre brave! Iíll stick to my 425hp drag bike, itís safer.

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Back about twenty years ago, when I was a kid in my fifties, I flew to Dallas, picked up an R6, and rode it back to the SF Bay. Hottest it got was 120 on the Arizona desert, the next day in the mid twenties at Carson Pass.

I knew then that I would never again ride a sport bike 500 miles a day again. Not because of the temperature, because my back hurt so much.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
wannabe
"Insignificant Other"

2006 Barfie
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: yes
Name: Aris
Thanks for posting. I enjoyed your story.

Martin Dykier (1975-2003)
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote