Old 06-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #31
Grissom

Motorcycles: Suzuki's & Harley
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
Grissom-

Interesting... I didn't even know Hwy 50 went to the East Coast

Yup, there are some websites that delineate the trip. That sign posted is like the one on SR-33 in my avatar. It's a challenge!

When are you planning on doing this ride?

Soon! Not next week, but sometime in June. Did a C2C run in 2019. From here to Atlantic City, NJ. It rained on me from eastern Nebraska all the way to the Atlantic...and back! Curtailed my resolve to explore. At present, it seems prudent to leave on a Thursday and arrive at a point to pass through Colorado on a weekend day to avoid the major road construction project noted earlier.

I see you have riden (sic) C2C before - do you have a ride report somewhere?

Kept a sketchy notebook of mileage and took very few pictures. A ride report might catch attention of spouse. Not all tales have been told, as yet.

A C2C ride has been on my bucket list to do.

My preferred option is a convertible with wife as passenger. Both is better, so imagine wife and I will do a long haul before summer is over.

I did a C2C drive in 2012 with my son (dropped him off in Boston for school) and it was a awesome experience.

I/we've done some major miles over the years. The glow in cheeks last until the next one. Not a coincidence to me that when you add a curvy letter to miles, you get smiles.

And on that curvy note, adding Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon to the return itinerary. After all, I do ride a Harley now. Ha!

What are you using for rain gear?
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #32
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Quote:
What are you using for rain gear?

Short answer- Frogg Toggs! The cheap version of jacket and pants. *Note the pants are not conducive to being in contact with exhaust pipes while pumping gas.

Those work in reasonable wet weather. Pack small. In mere drizzle, riding jacket and pants repel water.

Put a taller windshield on bike. Worked great, until downpour was so bad vehicles slowed to ~25 mph on I-80 without prompting. Could not see more than a car length ahead. Worst rain I've ever been in. Instantly soaked gloves and boots. Inside was relatively dry, though there's always capillary action if you are wet or rained on long enough.

Remember noting that the "I's have had it." Eastern Nebraska, then Iowa, Illinois and Indiana were wet the entire time.

Which is a reason to NOT wear leather. Aforementioned Frogg Toggs covered textile gear. Leather just doesn't dry overnight. Would get my boots dry on hotel room heater. A full suit ain't gonna dry overnight.

The Frogg Toggs cheat the wind as well. Keep them on the bike at all times. There are now non-name knock-offs that might be cheaper. Which reminds me, I need to go buy a set of pants. (*See earlier note.)
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.

Last edited by BillSmith; 06-04-2021 at 02:46 PM..
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #33
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post

========

Thank you again, special thanks to @scootergmc
I will share link to pictures as i upload them
Stay Safe
You're welcome. You've received a lot of great suggestions as well. TBH- I'd skip Yellowstone this year. I know many people with camping reservations in the park and they were all cancelled last month. Sounds like they overbooked for covid and had to cancel a bunch because I don't know why. But there are going to be plenty of folks in an around the park.

If I were you, I'd be very flexible day to day. You may want to ride 10 hrs one day and only two the next. I think day to day route planning is probably the best, unless you're meeting someone somewhere. Sticking to a schedule can mess with your head on an exploratory trip. Also, once you're in and east of the Rockies your afternoon weather can get quite interesting and unpredictable. Be prepared to chill out somewhere for thunderstorms and if it starts to hail find cover quick. BB sized hail can turn golf ball in a snap. Even if it's a roadside bar awning, as long as it's solid you'll be fine, and the patrons won't care. I almost had a vehicle totaled 2 yrs ago due to golf ball hail in NE CO.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #34
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post

Short answer- Frogg Toggs! The cheap version of jacket and pants. *Note the pants are not conducive to being in contact with exhaust pipes while pumping gas.

Those work in reasonable wet weather. Pack small. In mere drizzle, riding jacket and pants repel water.

Put a taller windshield on bike. Worked great, until downpour was so bad vehicles slowed to ~25 mph on I-80 without prompting. Could not see more than a car length ahead. Worst rain I've ever been in. Instantly soaked gloves and boots. Inside was relatively dry, though there's always capillary action if you are wet or rained on long enough.

Remember noting that the "I's have had it." Eastern Nebraska, then Iowa, Illinois and Indiana were wet the entire time.

Which is a reason to NOT wear leather. Aforementioned Frogg Toggs covered textile gear. Leather just doesn't dry overnight. Would get my boots dry on hotel room heater. A full suit ain't gonna dry overnight.

The Frogg Toggs cheat the wind as well. Keep them on the bike at all times. There are now non-name knock-offs that might be cheaper. Which reminds me, I need to go buy a set of pants. (*See earlier note.)
My Sidi boots are Polyurethane, I have them in a "rain" version as well for winter commuting here in CA. They stay reasonable dry and if wet and dry fairly fast. I have a pair of Sidi adventure boots as well, but they are more to show off ;-) . They have Vibram soles with good traction when putting the foot down and are genuine Gore Tex. But they are too heavy for my liking and casual use, more for off road (anything not paved).
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #35
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
furthermore, if you can swing it (or something similar):

https://goo.gl/maps/UqhYyNTBQmy5Jcgk9

Keeping in the theme of Hwy 14, up and over the Rockies, south on dirt through last year's Cameron peak fire scar, back up and over through Estes Park, etc., so on and so forth. It's worth it. You could make a week of this by itself and do some of the best hiking America has to offer. Anything above the treeline is my cup of tea.

edit: It just occurred to me you probably need reservations to ride through the park and some roads still might be closed...

Last edited by scootergmc; 06-05-2021 at 10:41 PM..
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #36
hardy1506
Rookie

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic 15 Aprillia Caponord 1200
Name: Hardy
Noted !!!

I am ready to disappear on friday morning
I dont like this park reservation BS but is it what it is

I heard borders my open soon, if they do then i ll ride to alaska and do this ride next summer ( short version : 2 weeks )

Whatever i do, i ll post pics
Thanks again for everything

See you guys in a lil-bit
Stay safe and keep riding

Last edited by hardy1506; 06-09-2021 at 08:54 PM..
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 PM   #37
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Enjoy the miles Hardy.

I'm packing the bike for the road and the skies open up with a downpour, lightening, thunder and a double rainbow in the fading light. Checked weather, no rain for first few legs, but overnight low in Ely, Nevada is a wee bit chilly. 31 degrees.

I'm blaming the God of Hammers dude!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #38
hardy1506
Rookie

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic 15 Aprillia Caponord 1200
Here we go : https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFYhCc4UY9fXM3M39

It was a blast !!!

I should do a small writeup soon but i am very bad at it

- Couldn't enjoy colorodo due to constant rain
- Rode little over 6k miles in 21 day's
- Last day was a personal record : Torry UT to Fremont CA ( hwy 50 )

Thank you again for amazing suggestions
Be safe n Keep riding !!!

Last edited by hardy1506; 07-23-2021 at 08:51 AM..
Old 07-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #39
Grissom

Motorcycles: Suzuki's & Harley
Name:
Thank you for sharing the photos it looked like a awesome trip
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #40
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Yes, awesome photos. And it appears you stole the majority from my personal library.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #41
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

An edit on Frogg Toggs...

Found a replacement pant that has some heat resistant material on the inside of lower legs. Good while riding. Doesn't address my bad habit of standing with right leg in contact with heat shield while pumping gas. But appreciate the effort to motocyclize the pants.

My effort to go C2C was thwarted by life's intrusions. Got as far as Delta, Utah on day one. Detoured up to I-80 and returned the next day. ~1400 miles in two days was a sufficient scratch of that itch...for now.

US 50 through the mining towns in the mountains was highly entertaining. And green. I know where all our Sierra snowfall went. Skipped us and landed in Nevada.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #42
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Hardy- Awesome ride, great pics. Your chronicling reminds me I need to stop and smell the roses more. My daily mileage is too often like your last.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:49 PM   #43
hardy1506
Rookie

1400 in 2 days is fun, hopefully next round we ll see you pics from east coast

Smelling roses makes my back feel good so i can ride another 200 miles

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics !!
Old 07-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #44
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: FJ-09, TR-650x2, Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
The pictures tell a story of a good ride, thank you. Enjoyed your “point of view” as I’ve been to some of those places and should see the rest. Seems like tires and maybe center stand repair were the only bike issues.

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #45
N4teTheGreat
Haply

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Looks like a blast!
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote