Old 07-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Route input: SC mountains and beyond

Route input: SC mountains and beyond

Hey BARF, I'm doing some preliminary planning on a ride down to the central coast and thinking of taking the SC mountains for the first part. It looks like if I take a left just before the Summit Store, I can get on Loma Prieta Way, looking at other threads, it looks like it's dirt, but I couldn't tell if it's a private road or parts of it private. Can I take it all the way to Mt. Madonna? Experienced dirt riders only or can mediocre dirt skills handle it?

Are there any fun ways to get to or close to Monterey from Mt. Madonna? That part of 1 between Watsonville and Monterey always seems like a bit of a slog.

Also, on the way back I'll probably be coming from 25, if it's not too hot. It looks like I can pick up Castro Valley Rd where 25 and 101 meet and then catch 152 and do the reverse of above. Does that seem right, or are there some must ride roads?

I should add, no GPS will be used on this trip.

Any and all input/advice welcome and thanks in advance.
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
sckego
doesn't like crashing

AMA #3283468
Mod Alumni
Contributor + + + + 12%

Motorcycles: are fun
Name: Kegan
Summit is just a dirt road. I don’t think it’s private, but residents like to pretend it is.

https://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2016...ruz-mountains/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-...county.601453/
Kegan -- '12 MTS1200ST -- '15 CB500F -- '18 GROM 125 -- '20 FS 450 -- IBA #41999 -- AMA #3283468 -- AFM #895
My Ride Reports! -- BARF Terms of Service
sckego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckego View Post
Summit is just a dirt road. I donít think itís private, but residents like to pretend it is.

https://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2016...ruz-mountains/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-...county.601453/
Interesting. My take away, as long as I'm Loma Prieta/Summit, ignore the private road signs.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
hey Matty,
I’ve been using Mt Madonna for years and never had a problem with the locals.

from the south end of Mt Madonna I make my way through San Juan Bautista and the road that goes by Hillister OHV to Hwy 25 to Peach Tree to San Miguel for gas ...

have fun! there’s a couple steep sections on Mt Madonna that would be scary to me on a street bike, depending on when they last maintained it.
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
hey Matty,
Iíve been using Mt Madonna for years and never had a problem with the locals.

from the south end of Mt Madonna I make my way through San Juan Bautista and the road that goes by Hillister OHV to Hwy 25 to Peach Tree to San Miguel for gas ...

have fun! thereís a couple steep sections on Mt Madonna that would be scary to me on a street bike, depending on when they last maintained it.
Perfect, thanks John Still in the planning stage, I know a couple of things I want to do, but planning becomes a bit more challenging when the wr only has a 2 gallon tank.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
You can use Highland to Carallitos, lots of potholes but no dirt. Will also get you Mt. Madonna if you want or just go south.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
You can use Highland to Carallitos, lots of potholes but no dirt. Will also get you Mt. Madonna if you want or just go south.
I looked it up and it looks like it would be faster, in case I get a late start, which I probably will. Doing more research, it looks like there are a ton of goaty and dirty roads in that part of the world
Old 07-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #8
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM, XB12X
Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
1. It looks like if I take a left just before the Summit Store, I can get on Loma Prieta Way, looking at other threads, it looks like it's dirt, but I couldn't tell if it's a private road or parts of it private. Can I take it all the way to Mt. Madonna? Experienced dirt riders only or can mediocre dirt skills handle it?

2. Are there any fun ways to get to or close to Monterey from Mt. Madonna? That part of 1 between Watsonville and Monterey always seems like a bit of a slog.

3. Also, on the way back I'll probably be coming from 25, if it's not too hot. It looks like I can pick up Castro Valley Rd where 25 and 101 meet and then catch 152 and do the reverse of above. Does that seem right, or are there some must ride roads?
1. Yes, Loma Prieta Way connects to Summit Rd then all the way to Mt Madonna Rd. The dirt/gravel portion are graded, not too steep (I'm afraid of steep dirt roads on street bikes), so any street bike will do if you take it slow, assuming you have a little experience with dirt/gravel. I rode it as a very new rider on my GS500, and a number of times after that on different street bikes (DRZ400SM, R1150GS, R1200GS), no problem.

2. From Mt Madonna Rd to Monterey is mostly flat. I typically do this: Mt Madonna - left on Casserly - Carlton - right on Lakeview - right on 129 - left on Main - Porter - Salinas Rd - Hall Rd - Elkhorn Rd - right on Dolan - either continue to Moss Landing Hwy 1, or immediately left on Castroville Blvd to 156 then Hwy 1. You'll pass thru many farms (sweet strawberry smell) and very scenic Elkhorn slough.

3. Castro Valley Rd? You mean Indian Valley Rd? Yes, you can take Indian Valley to 25. Another option is to take Indian Valley Rd - right on Vineyard Canyon Rd to Parkfield, then Parkfield Coalilnga Rd - Parkfield Grade (smooth dirt, uphill) - right on 198 to Coalinga - Los Gatos Creek Rd - Coalinga Rd - right on 25 - left on Cienega Rd - Union Rd.

If you really like dirt/gravel, look up Old Hernandez Rd, which connects from Coalinga Rd (3 miles before 25) to 25 farther north; it's fun. It has one water crossing, but should be either dry or very shallow (a few inches) right now.

Last edited by Gary856; 07-29-2020 at 10:23 PM..
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Awesome! Thanks Gary856 Good stuff. And I'm not sure, it's been a loooong time, but my avatar might be Old Hernandez Rd, it's certainly in the area at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary856 View Post
3. Castro Valley Rd? You mean Indian Valley Rd? Yes, you can take Indian Valley to 25. Another option is to take Indian Valley Rd - right on Vineyard Canyon Rd to Parkfield, then Parkfield Coalilnga Rd - Parkfield Grade (smooth dirt, uphill) - right on 198 to Coalinga - Los Gatos Creek Rd - Coalinga Rd - right on 25 - left on Cienega Rd - Union Rd.
I'm mildly familiar with some of these roads, I need to plan more thoroughly and explore! As far as CV road, I was talking about the one in Gilroy.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 8.18.46 AM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	535836  
Old 07-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM, XB12X
Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty View Post
Awesome! Thanks Gary856 Good stuff. And I'm not sure, it's been a loooong time, but my avatar might be Old Hernandez Rd, it's certainly in the area at least.

I'm mildly familiar with some of these roads, I need to plan more thoroughly and explore! As far as CV road, I was talking about the one in Gilroy.

Thanks again
You're welcome.

Your avatar with green bushes looks like Coalinga Rd. Old Hernandez Rd water crossing is open and barren (open cattle range), no green bushes.

Oh, I see you meant CV road at the north end of 25/101 in Gilroy; I was thinking the south end of 25/101. CV road is blocked off (or gated) about 100 yards west of Santa Teresa Blvd; I don't believe you could ride thru it to 152. Instead, from CV Rd - try right on Santa Teresa Blvd - left on 152 - right on Watsonville Rd - left on Redwood Retreat Rd (the last few miles is dirt, uphill; not hard on street bikes and you'd see minivans and SUVs). You'll come to the intersection (and back on pavement) of Pole Line Rd, Mt Madonna Rd, Summit Rd. Take a right on Summit to reverse your course toward Loma Prieta and Mt Bache Rd.

Or, instead of right on Summit Rd and reverse course, head down paved Mt Madonna Rd - right on Hazel Dell - left on Browns Valley - another right on Browns Valley (instead going straight which becomes Amesti Rd and narrower) to Corralitos Market and Sausage - right on Eureka Canyon Rd (must ride, if you've never been) - Highland Way all the way back toward the Summit Store. No dirt, just pretty rough pavement on this route.

Last edited by Gary856; 07-31-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Welp, I rode Summit to Mt. Madonna to Hazel Dell would definitely ride again somehow I missed Elk Horn slough, rode Old Coast Road, good times and had a few wide open stretches on 1, then about 4 miles before my turn off to Los Burros, I felt that unmistakable feeling of a frayed clutch cable limped the bike to a campsite and then did the long slog on home on 101 this morning, I used the clutch a total 4 times since discovering it was frayed. Trip truncated, just like that, but it was fun when it was fun. Also, found a campsite where I could take a bath to wash off all the dust. Thanks to all who shared their suggestions and input.

Edit: You're right, it is Coalinga Rd. Either way, I've pretty much written everything you've said down and plan to explore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldcoast.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	535905   Click image for larger version

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	535906   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	535907  

Last edited by matty; 07-31-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner) 14 DRZ400SM
Name: George
Sounds like a fun trip, you did it solo?
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #13
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee01 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip, you did it solo?
Solo it was and it was fun, until the clutch cable fray, slogging back on 101, not so much fun. This is the second time my southerly trips got cut short, hopefully, I'll have better luck going east or north

Last edited by matty; 08-16-2020 at 09:13 PM..