BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2020, 07:08 AM   #16
hardy1506
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fremont
Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
Name: Hardy
Rough route not perfect : https://goo.gl/maps/2wWeHyGbxTqwSwtt9

Overview

Day 1 : Fremont to Austin NV
Day 2 : Austin NV to Fremont UT
Day 3 / 4 : Moab, Canyonlands NP , Monument Valley
Day 5 : Mil $$ Hwy and/or Black Canyon ( TBD )
Day 6 : Kanab UT ( Zion )
Day 7 : Tonopah Or Austin ( TBD )
Day 8 : Fremont CA

Still thinking if i should do day 5 or not, will keep you guys posted and upload pictures after

Thanks again all the suggestions/ advice
You guys always make my trip more funner

Stay Safe

Last edited by hardy1506; 09-15-2020 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Edit details of route
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #17
scootergmc
old and slow
 
scootergmc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Land of cows and silage
Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
Rough route not perfect : https://goo.gl/maps/2wWeHyGbxTqwSwtt9

Overview

Day 1 : Fremont to Austin NV
Day 2 : Austin NV to Fremont UT
Day 3 / 4 : Moab, Canyonlands NP , Monument Valley
Day 5 : Mil $$ Hwy and/or Black Canyon ( TBD )
Day 6 : Kanab UT ( Zion )
Day 7 : Tonopah Or Austin ( TBD )
Day 8 : Fremont CA

Still thinking if i should do day 5 or not, will keep you guys posted and upload pictures after

Thanks again all the suggestions/ advice
You guys always make my trip more funner

Stay Safe

Google would only let me change so much on the map so I had to do two...

Check out the Colorado portion loop I changed on this map: https://goo.gl/maps/Uu5cn37sdQsPFmEF9

and then Cedar City, UT, I changed (mainly for the California portion coming back for Nevada and coming over the Sierras. The Vegas/desert route really sucks. Some of my favorite roads: https://goo.gl/maps/qvewnbtpbYrCtjvF6
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #18
hardy1506
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fremont
Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
Name: Hardy
I donno what went wrong but I always wanted to run through ZION and yes it makes sense whatever you pointed out.

This looks more realistic now https://goo.gl/maps/SKaVu8ZD757Gb3Va6
I ll start looking for potential places to stay amid this COVID-Stuff
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 AM   #19
scootergmc
old and slow
 
scootergmc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Land of cows and silage
Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
I donno what went wrong but I always wanted to run through ZION and yes it makes sense whatever you pointed out.

This looks more realistic now https://goo.gl/maps/SKaVu8ZD757Gb3Va6
I ll start looking for potential places to stay amid this COVID-Stuff
That looks good except for the California return. You won't make it on 120 though Yosemite without park reservations and the Bluejay fire is burning on both sides of the highway as of this morning. That 108/49/140/132 route is one of my favorites and traffic is sparse.

https://goo.gl/maps/jykGyb18jzpicUA59
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #20
hardy1506
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fremont
Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
Name: Hardy
I am convinced that something in google is trying to act super-smart and editing the map after I send the link ( using alternate routes )

Whatever, You are right again !!!
I am not going through yesomite my idea is to take either 4 or 108 both ways

Thanks
Hardy
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #21
theshinysideup
Newbie
 
theshinysideup's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: 707
Motorcycles: 2017 ninja sixfiddy
Name: Katja
Google is always up to something. I'm pretty sure you are aware of this, but make sure to download local area maps around the route on google prior to leaving reliable internets (or doing the old pro-move of taping the route to the gas tank). Nothing worse than seeing the fuel light come on and not being able to figure which direction to take to the closest station.

Thanks for sharing your epic route - you're visiting some of my absolute favorite places to ride. Never attempted to do a route like this though - future goals. So excited for you to get on the road. There are plenty of hot springs (developed and 'rustic') after you are south of Ridgway I definitely recommend visiting after a long day of riding.
theshinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:04 AM   #22
scootergmc
old and slow
 
scootergmc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Land of cows and silage
Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
I am convinced that something in google is trying to act super-smart and editing the map after I send the link ( using alternate routes )

Whatever, You are right again !!!
I am not going through yesomite my idea is to take either 4 or 108 both ways

Thanks
Hardy

Sounds great. Have a blast. I just did 3k miles on the FJR and wish I would've gotten off the beaten path.
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #23
The Smokester
Old Newbie
 
The Smokester's Avatar
 
Contributor ++

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Richmond and Marin County, California
Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
Name: John
Hey. I am planning on leaving on a similar trip in the next few days. Note that the air quality, which has been great in eastern NV, has now declined to mostly moderate and maybe will get worse as the winds keep blowing from the west. Going north as I intended...ID, WY, MT...looks less and less viable from the air quality point of view. I'm going to play it by ear and may end up swinging south.

Anybody with recent ground truth on this? Please chime in.

Good luck on your trip, Hardy!
__________________
Ride like a hunted animal.
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #24
bikewanker
Veteran
 
bikewanker's Avatar
 
AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
Please ride Utah 12 south from 24 at Torrey. It has some of the best riding with Utah’s unique scenery and you’ll enjoy the aspens. Fremont Utah has no services but East on 24 has more than enough. Twice recently I’ve gone too far into Colorado and come back feeling like I’d pushed myself. Colorado 141 is fun and mildly scenic and perhaps easier to include. Traditionally you want to get into Zion as early as possible to avoid rush hour type traffic.
Ash Springs just south of US 93, 375 and 318 has gas. From Tonopah or Las Vegas I like to ride Ca. 168 into Big Pine.
__________________
Originally Posted by nebulous
“Being offended by the past using today's sensibilities, or un-sensibilities as it were, is disgusting”

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #25
hardy1506
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fremont
Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
Name: Hardy
@Chris : I have made following changes based on your suggestions, Thank you

- Spending a night in antimony ( Day-2 ) and then taking 12N-95S ( on Day-3 )
- Added CO-141 to my plans
- I am still debating about 143 or ZION on the way back ( I remember ZION to be PITA during traffic )
- I might consider 168 into big pine and then 395N to 4

I have done badly planned trip in 2018 and went through mokidogway on my connie like a turtle, it was fun.

@theshinysideup @scootergmc @John : Thanks for everything

I ll update this tread with pics soon, time to pack and disappear
Stay Safe....Laters

Last edited by hardy1506; 09-18-2020 at 10:07 AM..
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #26
bikewanker
Veteran
 
bikewanker's Avatar
 
AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
You got opinions from The BARF collective so we all know you’ve planned well this year!
Enjoy
__________________
Originally Posted by nebulous
“Being offended by the past using today's sensibilities, or un-sensibilities as it were, is disgusting”

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #27
scootergmc
old and slow
 
scootergmc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Land of cows and silage
Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1506 View Post
@Chris : I have made following changes based on your suggestions, Thank you

- Spending a night in antimony ( Day-2 ) and then taking 12N-95S ( on Day-3 )
- Added CO-141 to my plans
- I am still debating about 143 or ZION on the way back ( I remember ZION to be PITA during traffic )
- I might consider 168 into big pine and then 395N to 4

I have done badly planned trip in 2018 and went through mokidogway on my connie like a turtle, it was fun.

@theshinysideup @scootergmc @John : Thanks for everything

I ll update this treads with pics soon, time to pack and disappear
Stay Safe....Laters

Have a good time. Keep it under 100.

edit: Oh and as for traffic around the natl. parks- it usually drops off dramatically after labor day/mid-september, so if you're headed anywhere near Bryce/Zion or other parks, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Last edited by scootergmc; 09-18-2020 at 10:13 AM..
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #28
hardy1506
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fremont
Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
Name: Hardy
I ended up hiking most Natl Parks in Utah and coudnt do Colorado.
Sharing few pictures

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...fPxhBQmTaHoVZW

Ran into little issues with my puppy but it was good learning experience
I ll share details later

Hope you guys like the picx
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #29
bikewanker
Veteran
 
bikewanker's Avatar
 
AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SFO
Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
Nice photos. I see some familiar places and faces. I see you spent time with the desert doctor, must be the details to follow.
__________________
Originally Posted by nebulous
“Being offended by the past using today's sensibilities, or un-sensibilities as it were, is disgusting”

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #30
Grissom
....................
 
Grissom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NorCal
Motorcycles: Suzuki
Name:
Thank you for sharing your ride with us and I am looking forward to more details
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.