BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Vintage Cafe

Notices

Old 04-24-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC Eldorado
Name: Daniel
Nice work! Should be a fun little scoot when you’re all done!
Old 04-28-2021, 02:33 PM   #17
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RZV500 RZ500 RG500 RG500 RZ350 RZ350 RD350LC, RD350LC CR500AF CR500AF GPZ750 Turbo RC30
Name:
Its really simple to reg a 2-stroke at the moment, Fill out the paperwork and go to the DMV, I just registered an RD350LC and an RG500 last week, Both have only 9 digit Vins, Zero problems, plates are on the bikes as we speak and just waiting on the titles, Oh, And I also titled an RC30 which is a full power German import and zero problem,

Better to burn out than fade away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tacky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #18
Norton Margie
Rookie

Motorcycles: new Triumph Old Norton Aermacchi
Name:
I registered a 73 Aermacchi. They didn't check for a horn, just lights and engine and frame #'s.
Norton Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #19
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky1 View Post
Its really simple to reg a 2-stroke at the moment, Fill out the paperwork and go to the DMV, I just registered an RD350LC and an RG500 last week, Both have only 9 digit Vins, Zero problems, plates are on the bikes as we speak and just waiting on the titles, Oh, And I also titled an RC30 which is a full power German import and zero problem,
All of this is great to hear. When you say fill out the paperwork, what can I fill out in advance?
Planning on going to the DMV Mon morning. Any preferred DMV location for something like this?
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #20
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockMonkey View Post
Throwing in my here...

If you're adding DOT road legal parts to a bike that has never been registered as road-legal, you may be required to apply for a "special construction vehicle" registration. There may be more steps to this than what I went through to get your bike registered. One thing worth noting: the last I heard, the DMV will only issue ONE special construction vehicle registration per person. That means that once you've done this registration, that's the only one you can get, ever. This rule may have changed since I last heard about it, but here's fair warning just the same.
Just to add some clarification... simply adding DOT lighting to a vehicle that may or may not have originally been offered with light DOES NOT make a the vehicle a special construction. The California Vehicle Code is very clear on what is and what isn't a special construction vehicle (SPCN). The key things to consider is how/who constructed the overall vehicle and the overall appearance of the vehicle. This is how the DMV describes a SPCN "A specially constructed or modified vehicle (SPCNS) is a homemade or kit vehicle built for private use, not made by a licensed manufacturer and not eligible for resale. These vehicles may be built from a kit and may include a combination of new and used parts, especially if they are constructed using a junked vehicle that was previously dismantled. " and continues with this example "A SPCNS vehicle does not refer to a vehicle that has been repaired or restored using replacement parts, or to a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen “Beetle” with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end is not considered a specially constructed vehicle because it is still recognizable as a Volkswagen “Beetle
”.

There is also a gray area around how many SPCN vehicles a person can own. I've asked both DMV and CHP agents about the "one per lifetime" law and both times I received a blank stare. No one at DMV or CHP is aware or enforcing this. I personally own three motorcycles titled as SPCNs.

As for the brake and lamp inspection there are a few details to be aware of.

First - The DMV will require both inspections on official state issued certificates. The only exception is if you can't find a certified shop in your area in which case the mechanic can use a statement of facts form. There is certified shop in Castro Valley and DMV wouldn't allow the exception for me being in Livermore so I've trailered 3 motos to Castro Valley for this inspection.

Second - there are lots of certified shops in the bay area for inspecting cars. Some, but not all, will inspect motorcycles... however they will charge the same $200 rate that they charge for cars. Castro Valley Union 76 station will charge $80 for brake and lamp inspection of motos. They don't take appointments, but good to call ahead to see how busy they are.

Third - there is only one licensed mechanic at the 76 station in Castro Valley and he is SUPER picky. Of the three motos that I've taken there, he failed the first one because white light from the license plate light was visible to the rear of the bike. The second bike he failed because the 30 year old rear brake system didn't get rock hard when he pressed on the foot pedal. Luckily you don't pay if it fails and I was able to come back both times with the issues corrected and passed on second attempts. The third bike a took was a special construction. The DMV and CHP don't recognize a year of manufacture for SPCNs so my CHP paperwork had the year as 0000. The brake and lamp inspector had never seen that before and almost didn't issue a certificate even though the bike passed. All three times were kinda stressful because the inspector is critical of every detail.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #21
rcb78
Rookie

Step one done, I got referred to the CHP. As mentioned in the first reply they need to look at it because it's missing the federal label. Earliest time I could get was June 3rd, but at least it's a start.
What should I expect from the CHP? Any tips to help things go smoothly?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #22
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
...What should I expect from the CHP? Any tips to help things go smoothly?
As rule of thumb, CHP just wants to make sure that you don't have a stolen motorcycle. Bring the title, bill of sale, or any other documents that show that you are the legal owner. They will make notes on if the federal stickers exist or not. Not a game stopper either way, especially on older vehicles. Other than that depends on the inspection officer. Some are chatty and might engage in conversation, others don't say much. After inspecting the moto they will disappear for a few minutes, then come back out with your completed form.

CHP will also expect you to make an appointment for the field office closest to your place of residence. Its not a hard rule, however they can still be fussy about it.
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #23
rcb78
Rookie

Sounds good to me. There is no title that we know of, the bike sat in my grandparents backyard for a decade (decades??) and it was passed on to me through my mom when my grandpa passed last year. I've got a signed bill of sale gifting it to me and getting a statement of facts won't be an issue if needed. I've also got an Inbox Folder full of receipts for all the parts I've had to buy to bring it back to life.
The DMV referred me to a CHP office within 10 miles of my house and they had no problem setting up an appointment for me next month. That will give me some time to do some more tinkering with it, new chain and sprockets (scored a NOS sprocket set and they're super hard to find), and clean up the jetting a little more.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #24
rcb78
Rookie

Woohoo!!! That was so much easier than I was expecting. CHP visit took about 30min and then the DMV was less than 1hr as a walk-in, and I now have plates and can legally take it out on the streets.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #25
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, 525EXC-G SM
Name: Lonster
Congrats!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #26
rcb78
Rookie

Before and after pics-

Luckily the rust was all superficial. Tank cleaned up without any holes using vinegar and then evaporust. New tires, tubes, chain, sprockets, oil tank, oil pump and drive tang, brake cables, hub bearings, throttle/oil pump cable, steering stem and bearings, seat padding and cover, handlebars and mounts, switch pods and a single missing fender. Clutch side cover was replaced so that I could replace the kickstart shaft that was welded to the f'd up kick start pedal. That was all brought back to original.

The electrical system was a mix of what I could find that would fit the 'look'. The headlight and horn are 6vac due the ac chassis ground. A 6vac horn sounds,, special. The blinkers and tail/brake light go through an R/R for 6vdc making it easier to find parts and use LEDs, especially a turn signal relay, it didn't play nice on ac, had to refill the smoke. Compression brake switches were added to the cable assemblies, apparently common on some old Brit bikes. Turn signals and tail lights are cheap repop for a Honda CT70 and the headlight is universal side mount with some fabbed brackets.

Now that it has plates, I'm tempted to tear it all down and powdercoat the frame/wheels vs just treating the rust and rattle canning them. The forks should also be torn down and rechromed along with the rear shocks, but I think I'll just enjoy putting around for awhile before I tear into it again. It's functional and as safe as 4hp can be
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	544082   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	544083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	544084  
Old 06-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #27
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
excellent!
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:40 AM   #28
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Motorcycles: Triumph scrambler, TW200, Monkey
Name: # 44659
I vote ride her for the summer, then you have something to do this winter.

All vaxxed up

Started hammerin' Honda 90's around Berryessa, Summer of Love '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #29
rcb78
Rookie

Got my insurance sorted out today. For liability and uninsured coverage, (-)$22/yr with my other bikes. Add comprehensive with a $250 ded and it goes up $8 to (-)$16/yr. For shits and giggles I asked about collision, get this,, it dropped another $20/yr, it's actually cheaper with collision coverage than without, go figure. Total insurance cost is a savings of $34/yr.
Get enough bikes and insurance is just free right
Old 06-22-2021, 04:37 PM   #30
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RZV500 RZ500 RG500 RG500 RZ350 RZ350 RD350LC, RD350LC CR500AF CR500AF GPZ750 Turbo RC30
Name:
Nice, Glad it all worked out, Great looking little bike, Definitely worth saving

Better to burn out than fade away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tacky1 is offline   Reply With Quote