Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 05-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
23ktm23

Motorcycles: Suzuki v-strom 1000 ktm 625 smc ktm 250 xcf ktm 530 exc ktm 350 Honda crf 150 f
Name:
I 80 Cal trans on tuesday

I'm fairly new to this forum stuff so hang in there if I break any rules . I'm deeply disturbed about the 6 motorcycles that went down Tuesday morning due to a 4 inch lip left on the freeway between pinole and Richmond. I wanted to hear what other riders think about the work that is done on our highways and the effect it has on riders thanks for your time
23ktm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
BeksNY
Home of the Pinkstich(tm)

Undersecretary of Fun

Motorcycles: 2017 BMW F700 GS; 1997 BMW R850R; 2018 Ninja 400
Name: Bekah/Beks
Whoa. I checked Climber's CHP crash report website: http://www.genepilot.com/CHP/showIncidents.php and didn't see reports of 6 motos going down. Does anyone have a link to reports on this?

FWIW, my opinion is that as motorcyclists we're responsible for being aware of and avoiding road hazards. No matter why the hazards are there. Part of my commute takes me on 242 and there is a huge lip between lanes 1 and 2 for just about all of the time I spend on it. The lip height can vary and there are chunks of pavement that are sometimes dislodged by trucks. I think it's a result of the longer and later rainy season we've been having, as well as CalTrans' selective repaving of only lane 1. Either way, it makes splitting there extra... um, exciting?... so I take a little more caution and usually avoid splitting on that leg of my trip.

If the crashes on I-80 are because of a mess CalTrans left, that should be reported ASAP.

"Like a flamingo with wheels." -tzrider
BeksNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
DucatiHoney
Ride only user

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Moved to General as it didn't quite appear to fit the Crash Analysis description all that well. OP, could you give us a little more background on the crash(es)? Did you witness this? If not, how did you hear about it?

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
Mellowtonin
Old Enough to Know Better

Motorcycles: FZR, XV, XL, EX, WR, SMC, FZ07, HYM 1100S
Name: Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23ktm23 View Post
I'm fairly new to this forum stuff so hang in there if I break any rules . I'm deeply disturbed about the 6 motorcycles that went down Tuesday morning due to a 4 inch lip left on the freeway between pinole and Richmond. I wanted to hear what other riders think about the work that is done on our highways and the effect it has on riders thanks for your time
Are you referring to this thread?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=525603
Mellowtonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeksNY View Post
FWIW, my opinion is that as motorcyclists we're responsible for being aware of and avoiding road hazards. No matter why the hazards are there.
This is the way I look at it too.

It's not good enough that it might be "somebody else's fault" that I crash. It's still a crash and it's still going to hurt. I'm constantly on the lookout for hazards that can take me out, whether from other vehicles or from the road. You'll last a lot longer with that attitude.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
NeilInPacifica
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 FZ-09 2016 12GS, 2015 Versys 650
Name: Neil
Very hard to see a new lip on an already very familiar road in the dark, which I think may have been the case for some of those riders in the early morning. I think one of them was at 5:30 am.
NeilInPacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
23ktm23

Motorcycles: Suzuki v-strom 1000 ktm 625 smc ktm 250 xcf ktm 530 exc ktm 350 Honda crf 150 f
Name:
yes that's it , I got to work and people were saying 6 bikes down. clearly some exaggerating going on, thanks to everyone
23ktm23 is offline   Reply With Quote